This cam seems amazing for the price ag-hpx300 - at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old April 10th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #1
Ben Jones

This cam seems amazing for the price ag-hpx300 -

Learn about Panasonic's AG-HPX300

I only just came across it but there seems little or no discussion here about it. I forgive the overpriced P2 cards for THAT spec. Seems like Sony's PDW 700 but at half the price. Spec is like a pro Dv camcorder like a DSR 450/570 but it's HD & SD!!!

Cant believe my eyes really!

What's the word as I surely have to pause my EX3 purchase now? This Panny however only does NTSC type framerates...:-(

BD
Old April 11th, 2009, 08:37 AM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

The European HPX301 does both NTSC and PAL.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from AVCCAM to P2 HD.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 11:12 AM   #4
Inner Circle

1/3" chips instead of 2/3", CMOS instead of CCD, P2 instead of discs, rolling shutter instead of global, 10 bit I frame codec instead of 8 bit long GOP.
Apart from that, yes very similar to the PDW700!
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Ben:

I have been doing some work with this camera as Barry has. It is a very impressive tool, definitely far from perfect but mighty impressive for the money. Here is a link to some test footage I shot with it a few weeks ago March 20, 2009 Surfers Point - Panasonic HPX300 Prototype on Vimeo

I am working on an article that will go into great detail about my experience doing a bigger shoot with the camera. The article debut on Sunday, April 19th over at Kenneth Stone

Stay tuned.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #6
Ben Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
1/3" chips instead of 2/3", CMOS instead of CCD, P2 instead of discs, rolling shutter instead of global, 10 bit I frame codec instead of 8 bit long GOP.
Apart from that, yes very similar to the PDW700!
Steve
P2 instead of discs - no shhh!!! I edit so long GOP is NOT a selling point ;-)

£10k in pocket - now what do we think about more important things like pictures and operation????

Also would I EVER lose a job to a 2/3" chip camera company????? Esp i'f i'm 1/3 chip-er??!!! ;-)

D
Old April 11th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I'm just saying don't pay too much attention to specs, as you could just as easily say that it's just like an HPX3000 but with variable frame rates as well, so even better! It ain't.
"Cant believe my eyes really!" Exactly, don't!
Steve
Old April 11th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Digedig View Post
Also would I EVER lose a job to a 2/3" chip camera company????? Esp i'f i'm 1/3 chip-er??!!! ;-)

D
FWIW Having a 1/3" chip puts it below BBC spec for HD delivery. But the codec as you hinted at is a big plus and preferable to long GOP.
Steve
Old April 12th, 2009, 03:33 AM   #9
Ben Jones

I've been trawling the spec again, in a 'don't look a gift horse in the mouth' type way, and can find no real details anywhere on the lens speed (Fujinon XT17x4.5BRM) or the signal to noise ratio of the chip - massive alarm bells ring due to this covert purposeful omission.. The EX3 for ref is F1.9 and chip S/N 54Db; Sony also give proper other info.

Interesting what you say about the Beeb Steve on a camera exceeding 1000 lines res!!! Be good to know why you suggest that, given also the proper full raster chip, 4:2:2 and the '2 bit better than 'Digi Beta' ' 10bit pix. My take on smaller chips is they need more light and have deeper DOF (and some use dodgy pixel shifting etc) but it isn't any dealbreaker at this price point AFAIK. Also the Beeb have chosen AVC-I as their long term archive CODEC - which this camera DOES.

I wonder if the CAC (Chromatic aberration) function is good? It is often an issue, and I was a bit disappointed to find quite a lot on a Digi Beta shot of a white tag I took the other day, and that using a lens costing more than this complete camera...

Finally, it looks like you can empty the P2 cards to an USB stick - IN CAMERA. No more laptop twiddling in lunchbreaks!!!!

I am (today ;-) ) SO reaching for the chequebook and ditching the EX3 idea. I need it Thursday though!!!

BD
Old April 12th, 2009, 04:05 AM   #10
Inner Circle

It's sub-BBC due to the chip size, they stipulate 1/2" or bigger, but I'm with you in wondering why it should be a criteria really.
The reason the camera's cheap, same with the EXs is that CMOS is a lot cheaper than CCD, that's why this plethora of cameras has appeared with high spec and cheap price - including the RED. But common sense suggests that there will be issues with them otherwise all cams would use them.

Steve
Old April 12th, 2009, 04:07 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Digedig View Post
the '2 bit better than 'Digi Beta' ' 10bit pix.
AFAIK Digibeta is a 10 bit codec - we went backwards with 8 bit HD codecs for a while!

Steve
Old April 12th, 2009, 05:07 AM   #12
Ben Jones

Yes, sorry, you are right Steve - Digi Beta is actually 10 bit in camera (and 90Mbps). Most editing, on facilities using Avid at least, happens in 8 bit though as it drops the two LSB's. I think online editors print to Digi Beta tape in 8bit too...

Need to look into that more viz AVC I on Avid - maybe it supports proper 10 bit processing for SDI output now? Nice smooth grad skys at last maybe :-)

A few minutes ago I just took on a series (non broadcast) and now HAVE to have this camera and be up to speed on it by Weds. Gulp!

Thanks for your input.

BD
Old April 12th, 2009, 05:25 AM   #13
Inner Circle

All I would say is if it's action-packed beware of the rolling shutter, again one of the reasons why it's so cheap, same with the EX.
Steve
Old April 12th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #14
Regular Crew

This article: CMOS Rolling Shutter includes some useful details on rolling shutter issues, including some examples.
Roger Shore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders