Any prep work for new HPX-170 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old May 21st, 2009, 08:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Any prep work for new HPX-170

Hey there-

I am very excited to report that I ordered my brand spanking new 170 and it should arrive early next week!

My questions is, are there any firmware updates and other things I will need to do to it when I get it, or will it be all caught up on updates and I can rip the puppy open and start shooting?

Also, could anyone point out a descent tripod and/or bag for my new shiny camera?

Thanks
Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:13 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Congratulations. You will like the 170, it is excellent. The single most helpful thing you could probably do would be to read my article from top to bottom. That should take you about a week! Panasonic's HPX170

You will not need any firmware updates.

A great tripod for the HPX170 is the Sachtler FSB-8 Sachtler | FSB 8/MID LEVEL TRIPOD SYSTEM | 0772 | B&H Photo Video Don't buy a great camera like the HPX170 and then by a crap tripod for it. If you cannot afford the Sachtler, get a Libec LS-38.

A great bag is the Petrol although I prefer camera backpacks like this one to bags, especially if you you plan to travel. This backpack will hold your HPX170, batteries, P2 cards, your laptop and some drives, pretty much everything you need to shoot CineBags | CB-25 Revolution Backpack | CB-25 | B&H Photo Video

Good luck,

Dan

Last edited by Dan Brockett; May 21st, 2009 at 12:40 PM.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:53 AM   #3
Trustee

Review this site for custom scene files for you HPX 170.

Professional Digital Camcorder HPX170 Scene Files from Panasonic
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 02:20 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the quick response guys!
Dan, I actually already read that article, it was great. One of the reasons I ended up with the 170.

Not that the group of scene files wont keep me busy for a while, but is that they only place to find them? Are there users that create their own scene files and trade them?
Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 04:13 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Alden:

The Barry Green book that your camera will come with will include a CD with scene files on it. I don't know of any active HPX170 scene files swap meets. Most of us dial in something that works for our needs and keep using it.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders