Anyone used proxy card? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old June 7th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Anyone used proxy card?

Has anyone used the AJ-YAX800G proxy card that's available for the HPX300?

From reading the white paper, it looks like you can shoot 320x180 files with audio onto an SD card. It looks like you can turn off the window burn and get a decent data rate, which sounds like it would be perfectly useable as web video.

This is the holy grail for a lot of us news folks. I'd love to be able to drop the proxy files into Final Cut, slam out a raw/rough cut video and upload via aircard for the web, then re-connect to the high-res files later. Can you actually do that with the proxy files?

Wow, that would be amazing if it actually worked that way.

Last edited by Chuck Fadely; June 7th, 2009 at 02:48 PM. Reason: added model name of card for search purposes
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Chuck,

I'd love to use one, I asked about it when I bought my SPX800 some years ago and when they told me the price, I fell to my knees.. It's just off the wish list. for an item to produce a simple net size movie, ther'es no way I could justify it, my news contacts would not pay extra for the investment... I use steamclip, compressor, or Bitvice (on my laptop or desktop) to generate mpegs to send if needed, and full screen (H264) mp4's for news items.

Cheers
Tom K

Last edited by Tom Klein; June 7th, 2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: typos
Tom Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #3
Trustee

Hi Chuck I am interested in this too but have been unable to find anything about it or a cost etc.

What I do know is that even the USB transfer into final cut is pretty slick as I was loading onto my g-tech dives via log and transfer whilst I was starting to edit and compile a rough cut.

That was from avc-intra 100 1920x1080i 25np rushes and by the time the import had stopped I was near the end of the edit ready for export.

This was the result and it was shot and uploaded to vimeo faster than a journalist could write a script:Panasonic AG-HPX301E Test 4 on Vimeo
Old June 7th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #4
Major Player

B&H lists the AJ-YAX800G encoder card at $1230, which isn't too bad as pro video goes, I guess.

I need small files to send over low-bandwidth cell connections. In theory, I could butt-splice some clips in Quicktime Pro and have them posted in seconds. Don't know if it would actually work, though.
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 11:05 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Fadely View Post
B&H lists the AJ-YAX800G encoder card at $1230, which isn't too bad as pro video goes, I guess.

I need small files to send over low-bandwidth cell connections. In theory, I could butt-splice some clips in Quicktime Pro and have them posted in seconds. Don't know if it would actually work, though.
Hi Chuck

This price you found is below half of what I was quoted years ago..they would'nt have sold many because of that price point.... But, if you can justify it , go for it..
Cheers
TomK
Old June 8th, 2009, 08:41 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I've been using ProxyMill from Imagine Products and it's great. Can put Proxy's right into the proxy folder of your P2Card Contents folder. Highly configurable and affordable!

imagineproducts.com
Tom Chartrand is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders