New HD Demo reel, all shots filmed with HPX500 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old July 26th, 2009, 01:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New HD Demo reel, all shots filmed with HPX500

Here's my latest demo reel, Northern Light Films HD Demo on Vimeo
Brian Ladue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #2
Trustee

Hey Brian,

Some nice shots but the music didn't work for me.

Also, depending on who you're marketing the demo reel to, I'd maybe cut out the couple shots cutting into the caribou.
Old July 26th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #3
Better than Halle Berry

Yeah music trying too hard and some of the content is a bit off-putting, but that's just personal taste. On a more tech note I'd suggest renting a jib/crane/dolly for a couple of days and getting some more dynamic shots. Slow pans and close-ups are nice as part of a reel but if that's your only bag of tricks it's underwhelming. Mix it up with better shot variety and more interesting color correction. This looks almost documentary, available lighting, minimal grading in post. Also don't show us the same scene/ same shot multiple times because it looks like you have limited material to work with. I'm all over a 30 second reel that wows on every edit vs. a 2 minute + with repeated shots/filler. Keep at it.

Noah

Last edited by Noah Kadner; July 27th, 2009 at 09:26 AM.
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the input guys! I appreciate the constructive critisizm. Cheers
Old July 29th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I've uploaded a new version of the Demo.

http://www.youtube.com/user/northernlightfilms

Last edited by Brian Ladue; July 29th, 2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old July 31st, 2009, 11:39 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks for sharing.

Nice images.

Isn't progressive shooting great!
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 01:41 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks! Yeah I agree, I love the look/feel of progressive footage... I'm considering changing my framerate though to 30p as opposed to 24p.
Old August 4th, 2009, 07:49 AM   #8
Inner Circle

For web work, I lean towards 30p especially if there will be a lot of camera movement.

I have had good luck with shooting 702p60 and converting to 24p or 30p in post as well.

Kind of gives you more options as well as being 60i friendly.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 04:08 AM   #9
Tourist

Hey there Northerner! I'm writing from the other side of the world Down Under, and I watched your demo with great expectations: I have a HPX 300 sitting here next to me, (on loan), and I am tossing up over a 500 for 2/3 DoF and low light/noise.
I like alot of your doco shots, nice 'verite' feel, and lovely natural colours.
My only criticism, constructive, is to massively, head noddingly agree with other posters about your music choice.
It speaks the following to me: 1.Maybe this guys little brother just got a band together and a 4 track recording. 2. How does this music in any way gel with the visual content, the rhythm of the edit, or have any genre relationship? 3. Please don't take this personally, but I would even go so far as to say that if I was viewing your your reel with a view to hire you, I would not pick up the phone for fear that a person with little or no thematic sensitivity might answer the phone.
Just try a few temp tracks that go the other way: Delibes, Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata etc.
All the best, and remember, counterpoint Irony has to be ironic, not just mis-matched!!!
Tim Roane is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders