DVX / HVX + Sony HVR-MRC1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old August 19th, 2009, 10:34 AM   #1
Major Player

DVX / HVX + Sony HVR-MRC1

I'm wondering if anyone has tried using the Sony HVR-MRC1 w/ a HVX (or even DVX) instead of using a Firestore.

I know the MRC1 could really only interface in SD w/ these cameras, but I would think that it could handle 60i, 30p & 24p.

Anyone know for sure?

HVR-MRC1 info...
http://ws.sel.sony.com/PIPWebService...VRMRC1K_OM.pdf

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/newthread...newthread&f=80
Old August 19th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #2
Better than Halle Berry

Highly doubt it- that's one of those Sony proprietary, hard-wire HDV thingies. I'd guess it would have zero awareness of DVX and especially DVCPROHD over Firewire from HVX as that would be a massive licensing issue/PR nightmare for Sony to use Panasonic's proprietary codec.

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Kadner View Post
Highly doubt it- that's one of those Sony proprietary, hard-wire HDV thingies. I'd guess it would have zero awareness of DVX and especially DVCPROHD over Firewire from HVX as that would be a massive licensing issue/PR nightmare for Sony to use Panasonic's proprietary codec.

Noah
I thought I was clear that I'm talking about SD on DV, ie miniDV format. I highly doubt that you could go DVCPro HD to HDV, but SD to SD should be fine, right?

The MRC1 essentially uses the Firewire path on the Z7 / Z5 to record HDV or DV. Panasonic & Sony should both be using the DV standard over firewire so the MRC1 I think should be able to interface w/ a HVX or DVX when in DV.

I'm guessing since most DV & HDV cameras do some sort of "fake" progressive, I'm curious if the MRC1 reads the Sony's version of DV 24p the same way it would read a Panasonic DV 24p over a firewire stream.
Old August 20th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #4
Barry Wan Kenobi

DV is DV. If all you're looking for is DV recording, that Sony recorder SHOULD certianly work with the DVX or HVX.

24p isn't a problem, because DV doesn't provide for alternate recording modes, it supports only 60i, and therefore the DVX/HVX output 24p embedded within a 60i signal. Always have, always will, and the signal they output conforms to the streaming 1394 DV protocol. So the MRC1 should definitely record it.

The only "if" at all would seem to be if the MRC1 strips out the user bit frame information, which is a flag on each active frame that notifies the NLE how to strip out the pulldown. Sony never made a 24P DV camcorder (did they?), so I don't know if they would have any qualms with implementing this portion properly. Almost every deck and camcorder knows how to work with the user bits properly, I've only ever heard of a couple of JVC decks that were stripping out the flag, so I would bet that it's 99.99999999% probable that the MRC1 would work flawlessly with the DV output of the HVX or DVX.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 12:40 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Barry...

I did get to try this out w/ a HVX today. HVX was in tape mode at 30p & MRC1 worked fine. Each time I started & stopped recording on the HVX the MRC1 started & stopped.

Only thing was it didn't use the same timecode as the HVX, I'll look into the settings to see if there is something w/ the HVX or the MRC1.

I don't think Sony ever made a 24p DV camera, but the Z7 can do 24p in HD & SD. If I get the chance in the near future, I'll try to test out 24p DV on the Z7 & HVX.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders