Two different models? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old November 29th, 2004, 06:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Panasonic HDV prosumer cam ?

Check out this photo
http://www.geocities.jp/sumi653/P2HD.jpg

Is this what I think it is ? A Panna HD cam ?

It is part of this web-site
http://www.geocities.jp/sumi653/index.html

Can anybody provide a translation of the Japanese please ?
Adam Folickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 06:37 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Panasonic is not a member of the HDV Format Consortium, so what they're doing is not HDV. However they probably have their own consumer high-definition thing in the works, who knows. The P2 format that you're referencing here allows for DVCPro HD video recording on removeable flash memory, which is an interesting and welcome step away from tape-based media.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 08:49 AM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

We had heard about this last year or earlier this year. It definitely looks cool, but I'm curious if there gonna market it to HDV users by pricing it sub-$5000.

heath
Old November 29th, 2004, 11:48 AM   #4
Trustee

if it's really a dvcpro hd(100Mbps) camera, as it's marked on the outside, it will blow the doors off of hdv, if it's sold and priced in a prosumer package.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 04:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Unfortunately, the spec sheet listed the video as Mpeg2.
Brad Abrahams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 05:18 PM   #6
Major Player

Looks like a Photoshop mock up...

But I guess from everything I've gleaned from the forums...Final Cut Pro already supports this format...

Hmmm...
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 08:18 PM   #7
Major Player

I'm fairly certain it's not a Photoshop markup, I believe they had an actual physical mockup at either NAB or some other major convention and I've seen photos from that...I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I turned up something like that...maybe I saw the pics at camcorderinfo.com... I'm not sure...

My question is, are P2 cards a reasonable recording format for a sub $5K camera? I haven't checked prices lately, but from what I remember about the pricing vs. memory size vs. recording time they were fairly...astronomically priced for a camera in this price range. Unless of course they've come way down since their introduction...
Kevin Dooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 12:45 PM   #8
Major Player

They definitely had a physical mockup...here's the link to more pix and an article...

Panny P2 HD Mockup

BTW - As flash memory gets faster and more advanced (which seems like a constantly evolving beast), prices keep dropping. I remember when I first got my flash thumbdrive a little over 1 year ago, I paid something $100+ for 128MB. I just saw a 1GB one on TigerDirect today for like $50. I'm assuming then that regular flash cards have been "evolving" at the same rate as well.

Thats' 8X the memory for half the price (or less)! If prices continue to drop rapidly, a P2 system might be viable by the Summer (*Although the expected release date for this model is Fall 2006!). Of course, this doesn't take into account the fact that you may need more than one 16GB card system to be able to shoot more than an hour of footage a day.

If Panny was really smart, they'd adapt this thing into a HDD camcorder with a swapable media bay for the Spring, and then push the P2 upgrade the year after.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2004, 05:12 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I think it's not a Photoshop mockup, as it's been seen in reports from the InterBEE fair in Japan.

This picture clearly shows, that there will be TWO models, one MPEG and one DVCPRO-HD. (Isn't DVCPRO-HD 960X720 ??? Or can it do bigger?)

http://www.scn-net.ne.jp/~tdcjapan/bee2004/BIG0294.JPG

Here's a link to some other photos from interBEE, scroll down to approx. the middle of the page to find the Panasonics:

http://www.scn-net.ne.jp/~tdcjapan/bee2004/index.html
Joonas Kiviharju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2004, 06:30 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I'm not really sure why they would want to do flash media when you can get a 40-60gb laptop harddrive for cheap these days. Do they want us to buy additional flash media? 16gb of flash is huge, but it's nothing in the harddrive world.
Hayden Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2004, 08:15 AM   #11
Trustee

Panasonic makes some beautiful HD cameras, and even if they dumb it down for the prosumer level, I'm sure it will be quite a sweet thing. I'm betting they're trying to make a big come-back like they did when they suddenly made 24p the hottest buzzword of the last couple of years, and perhaps something like this is their attempt.

In any case, I think it's funny that they added a handle. Maybe they're trying to woo Super-8 filmmakers? Makes me think of an old Yashica Super-8 I had.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2004, 08:38 AM   #12
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Imran Zaidi :
In any case, I think it's funny that they added a handle. Maybe they're trying to woo Super-8 filmmakers? Makes me think of an old Yashica Super-8 I had. -->>>

Dude! I am dying for that handle! It's awesome! (shhh [internet whispers]...now don't say anything else that might make Panny remove it) ;)

PS - It does inspire youthful dreams of auteurship doesn't it?
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2005, 11:31 PM   #13
Obstreperous Rex

Joonas Kiviharju wrote...

<< This picture clearly shows, that there will be TWO models, one MPEG and one DVCPRO-HD. >>

For what it's worth, these appear to be the same two prototype mock-ups that we saw at NAB2004, except in Las Vegas, one was labeled DVCPro HD and the other as DVCPro 50.

Maybe there are two different models after all?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 12:15 AM   #14
Barry Wan Kenobi

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : Joonas Kiviharju wrote...

<< This picture clearly shows, that there will be TWO models, one MPEG and one DVCPRO-HD. >>

For what it's worth, these appear to be the same two prototype mock-ups that we saw at NAB2004, except in Las Vegas, one was labeled DVCPro HD and the other as DVCPro 50.

Maybe there are two different models after all? -->>>

Jan Crittenden of Panasonic has gone on record as saying that that mockup is not (repeat, not) the camera they're announcing at NAB.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 08:48 AM   #15
MPS Digital Studios

This gets more and more interesting.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders