DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Panasonic HD (moved from Area 51 forum) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/38407-panasonic-hd-moved-area-51-forum.html)

Peter Jefferson January 27th, 2005 07:50 AM

Panasonic HDV...

This may need to be moved or even deleted.. but i have this on good authority

bit of a leak of info to get us all going... heres some spec

-Prosumer DVX HDV solution

1/3rd CCD
50i and 25p Progressive.
NTSC 24p and advanced P
native widescreen
HDV recording in 25mbps AS WELL AS 50mbps (hehehe)
P2 card recording media, no tape. Woohoo!
Keep an eye out at namm/NAb (the one in april.. i dunno which one it is.. ) for a prototype.

expect it onthe shelves within 18 months..

U heard it here first.. ;)

Christopher C. Murphy January 27th, 2005 08:23 AM

Dude, 18 months - as in almost TWO YEARS?? Even if this is factual...it's not news to anyone.

Michael Struthers January 27th, 2005 04:50 PM

If this is indeed the camera Panny is planning, it better be here in very short order. HDV as a format probably be toast in 18 months.

I wonder if the audio is the same as Sony's cam. Hope not. Maybe 50mgs per second allows for better audio.

Chris Hurd January 27th, 2005 05:18 PM

The only problem with this rumor is that Panasonic is not part of the HDV consortium of manufacturers, nor are they planning on joining it, based on the conversations I've had with several Panasonic product managers. I think it's much more accurate to say that they're intending to *compete* with the HDV format in the form of an affordable, low-cost DVCPro HD camera. And that particular rumor is a strong one indeed. NAB will be very interesting this year!

And no, we don't delete posts. In fact this particular forum was established specifically for these kinds of rumors, so post away.

Aaron Koolen January 27th, 2005 05:25 PM

I've always been happy that Panasonic wasn't in the HDV consortium. I'll fully admit I'm not particularly up to play on HDV, but the idea of MPG2 really scared me when I heard about it. Editing intraframe stuff without special hardware seems stupid and I refuse to go through some preconversion step.

Also, I *HAVE NEVER* seen anyone post any realworld footage (Film, documentary, new report, sports etc) from one of the current (low budgetish) HDV cameras that really disproved the claims by some of artifacting etc. (Hehe, wonder if that will get people sending some links to prove me wrong - please do - cause I'm willing to be proved wrong and change my stance)

Anyway, back to the point. I'm just really curious to see what Panasonic do. It's obvious they'll have to play the HD game within the consumer/semi pro arena for a low pricepoint, just wondering how they will do it. They're an innovative company unlike Canon and others, and they seem willing to put a lot on the line like they did with the DVX and push things forward. Can't wait.

Aaron

Robert Mann Z. January 27th, 2005 05:49 PM

wasn't this hd camera already shown last year...i don't see what the big deal is...

Chris Hurd January 27th, 2005 08:48 PM

The deal is Robert, it was a wooden mock-up then... it'll be a functioning camera this time around.

Robert Mann Z. January 27th, 2005 09:39 PM

that was a wooden mock-up, they had me fooled...it is nice to see the direction a company is going though, helps you plan on your gear purchase

Chris Hurd January 28th, 2005 04:22 AM

Yeah, if we're talking about the P2 flash card camcorder, a little thing with a pistol grip looking kind of a like a Super-8 film camera, that was one of several mock-ups at NAB last year.

Peter Jefferson January 28th, 2005 07:32 AM

"low-cost DVCPro HD camera. And that particular rumor is a strong one indeed. NAB will be very interesting this year!"

and this one being switchable your not wrong..... ;)

rumours abound... but im believing waht im hearing to be more than that due to my source..

audio will most likely be based on teh DVX100 configuraiton

as for real world uses.. i been using the FX1 fo a while now and i like it... Im runnign it thru a Vizio 42' plasma at 50i and i am yet to see artefacting. Blacks are really nice, and whites come out clean. SOME motion is jittery though...

Aaron Koolen January 28th, 2005 11:17 AM

by "low cost" what are we talking about here? 10K low cost? 5k low cost?

Also, I'm assuming that if it is DVCPro, then it will require a special deck. i.e. it's a proprietary format?

Aaron

Christopher Go January 28th, 2005 04:01 PM

I think the recording to solid state media alone is worthwhile. I want this to be a common feature already.

Jesse Bekas January 29th, 2005 01:19 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Aaron Koolen : by "low cost" what are we talking about here? 10K low cost? 5k low cost?

Also, I'm assuming that if it is DVCPro, then it will require a special deck. i.e. it's a proprietary format?

Aaron -->>>

I don't think anybody knows the price range. Also, you won't need a deck for uploading flash memory cards.

Ignacio Rodriguez January 29th, 2005 10:19 AM

I think solid state or optical might be the only way to go for inexpensive HD. Tape at more than 25 Mbps is expensive. And even at 25 Mbps HDV on tape is pretty tricky due to the GOP structure. Dropouts with the Sony and JVC cameras are really the dirty little secret of HDV.

Lawrence Bansbach January 29th, 2005 03:53 PM

Re: Panasonic HDV...

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Jefferson :
. . .

-Prosumer DVX HDV solution . . .

U heard it here first.. ;) -->>>

HDV, by definition, is tape based. From everything I've read, the Panasonic P2-based camera will be partially compatible with HDV, but won't support 19-Mbps rate.