New DVCPro HD / P2 - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old April 4th, 2005, 11:03 AM   #166
Obstreperous Rex

Bob, I have a feeling that the new info that was supposed to be coming today was the stuff that was already leaked last week.

Hope I'm wrong about that but I bet I'm not!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 11:07 AM   #167
Major Player

Will the HVX200 be able to shoot SD if a client requires it?

Or can I shoot in HD and easily downconvert to SD for editing?
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 11:10 AM   #168
Major Player

According to the press release (I suppose that's what it was) it will shoot all the different flavors of HD mentioned plus progressive and interlaced varieties of SD. Who knows though, you might get a better picture shooting in HD and downconverting. Then again, with DVCPRO 50 capabilities, you might just be better off just shooting that...
Old April 4th, 2005, 11:10 AM   #169
Major Player

"I have a feeling that the new info that was supposed to be coming today was the stuff that was already leaked last week."

Yes, that was my understanding too.
Jan made a reference on another thread that the picture and format info was the 'April 4th' info she'd been talking about.

"Will the HVX200 be able to shoot SD if a client requires it?"

Not only will it shoot SD, it will give you many options to choose from.

Both DVCPro and DVCPro50 at various frame rates, both progressive and interlaced.
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 11:38 AM   #170
Major Player

Will the DVCPro50 have a better SD image than DVProHD?

On the drive vs. PC issue...a drive is smaller, however I am DV Rack addicted and have 2 5 hours batteries for the laptop. Unfortunately, there is no HD DV Rack, yet.

David

P.S.
I have received requests for more footage of this or that, him or her, long into a project (and sometimes after). Having the footage definitely helps.
David Ziegelheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 11:41 AM   #171
Major Player

You know, now that you mention DV Rack, I would think it would be easier to write a DV Rack version for DVCPRO50 or HD, since it is still based on the DV codec, versus rewriting to handle HDV, which is another beast altogether...

I hope DV Rack is paying attention...
Old April 4th, 2005, 11:42 AM   #172
Obstreperous Rex

<< Will the DVCPro50 have a better SD image than DVProHD? >>

That's a Jan question, but I would be very surprised if DVCPro HD downconverted didn't look as good as or better than DVCPro 50. Depends on the process, I guess.

<< I am DV Rack addicted and have 2 5 hours batteries for the laptop. >>

I can certainly understand and sympathize with being a DV Rack addict! That's a great piece of software. Hopefully they'll make the leap to HD soon.

<< Having the footage definitely helps. >>

In certain situations such as yours, I can fully understand that too.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 11:55 AM   #173
Major Player

Framerates at SD resolution?

Hi all,

I know that everybody's quite keen on the HD aspect of this new camera. Who can blame them?

I'm wondering, has anyone pondered what kind of framerates if you decide...OK, why would you?...but if you decide to shoot at 480p?

If you can get 60p at res of 720 maybe you could really overcrank at 480? Say 90 or even 100p?

Or am I talking crazy?

Just wondering.

sincerely,

ian
Ian Slessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 12:24 PM   #174
Major Player

30p was the highest progressive frame rate given for SD. Don't know if there will be anything else. I doubt it.

I think shooting DVCpro50 is the best way to go if you want SD. No need for all the extra space, processing etc and it is much less compressed per frame than the HD codec (out of sheer necessity).
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 12:32 PM   #175
Major Player

I though DVCPro50 supported 10 bit quantization, and DVCProHD supported 8. Which is why I thought the DVCPro50 may have better image.

David

P.S.
Ian, the DV format supports 60i NTSC or 50i PAL. 30p, 25p, and 24p are adaptations of that format. It would not be possible to store an image with a higher frame rate in that format.
David Ziegelheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 02:15 PM   #176
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Will the HVX200 be able to shoot SD if a client requires it?
Yes, and it will be able to shoot SD at the best-quality SD you can get for under $20,000.

It supports two different SD recording formats, either DVCPRO (which is the same as DV, basically) and the DigiBeta-quality DVCPRO50, which provides for less compression and twice the color resolution of any DV camera. It's the same format that's used in the $20,000 SPX800 and the $25,000 SDX900.

So yes, SD is not only possible with the HVX, but it'll probably be the best SD you can buy for less than $20,000.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 02:25 PM   #177
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Brad Abrahams : Just saw this posted on dvxuser. A firewire drive enclosure that includes a rechargeable lithium-ion battery with 10+ hours of usage per charge. This would be perfect if the hvx streams the data over firewire:

http://www.macpower.com/productdetai...&catid=311,316 -->>>

But just plugging in a drive won't work. Something at the other end needs to decode the IEEE1394 stream, and write a filesytem.

Aaron
Old April 4th, 2005, 02:26 PM   #178
Major Player

Well, maybe, maybe not... the camera clearly writes files itself, as that's what it stores to the P2 cards... why couldn't it just send those files over firewire to an external drive, same as if you hooked it up to your computer?
Old April 4th, 2005, 02:33 PM   #179
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin Dooley : Well, maybe, maybe not... the camera clearly writes files itself, as that's what it stores to the P2 cards... why couldn't it just send those files over firewire to an external drive, same as if you hooked it up to your computer? -->>>

Anything's possible for sure! I just find it hard to believe they'll do that. Haven't they just teamed up with Firestore for some thing? What I could imagine happening is some tight integration between the camera and a firestore so they work all sexily together.

Aaron
Old April 4th, 2005, 02:35 PM   #180
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Barry Green :
It supports two different SD recording formats, either DVCPRO (which is the same as DV, basically) and the DigiBeta-quality DVCPRO50, which provides for less compression and twice the color resolution of any DV camera.
-->>>

Thanks Barry, that was very helpful.

So does this mean the HVX can shoot SD at the 4:2:2 sampling ratios, whereas MiniDV is 4:1:1?
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders