New DVCPro HD / P2 - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old April 4th, 2005, 02:36 PM   #181
Major Player

I'm fine with that too... the more options we have to record, the better. I think Panasonic knows what a sweet deal this is for ENG and some types of EFP, but they also have to realize that they would be able to sell even more if there were longer recording times available until lower priced P2 is a reality.
Old April 4th, 2005, 02:56 PM   #182
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Pete Wilie : <<<-- Originally posted by Barry Green :
So does this mean the HVX can shoot SD at the 4:2:2 sampling ratios, whereas MiniDV is 4:1:1? -->>>

Yes, 4:2:2 at 50mbs
Anders Holck Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:13 PM   #183
Tourist

Hello everybody! I found this message board through www.ag-hvx200.com. This forum is huge! My question is, what would be a reliable place to find out about the camera's specs and price after it is released? Do you know if www.ag-hvx200.com is operated by Panasonic? Is that a reliable source? Or should I just stick to reading posts here? www.ag-hvx200.com said that I can talk to Panasonic reps through forums like this one. Is it true?
I can't go to Vegas and I will need a reliable info right away.
thanks
Jan Bobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:15 PM   #184
Major Player

I have found this site to be extremely reliable in it's information and very timely in it's posts around NAB... someone in Vegas will be on here posting, if Chris isn't uploading new articles to the main page himself...

BTW, where abouts are you in the Chicago area?
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:56 PM   #185
New Boot

Jan, do tyou know and are you authorized to say:

1. Is Panasonic releasing DVCPro HD codec (for PC) for HVX200 camera?

2. Is there cooperation between Panasonic and Adobe to make Premiere Pro work with DVCPro HD from HVX200?

3. How likely is HVX200 to work with PCMCIA disks in place of P2 cards?

Tnx!
Uri Blumenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:59 PM   #186
Major Player

And DVCPro50...
David Ziegelheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 09:50 PM   #187
New Boot

For DVCPro50 there's codec by MainConcept, $349 or so...
Old April 6th, 2005, 10:04 PM   #188
Major Player

And it works with Premier or Vegas? I don't recall anyone getting it work...and I tried very hard.
David Ziegelheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 06:06 AM   #189
Regular Crew

Matrox has a DVCPRO 50 codec for the PC, and Avid has both DVCPRO 50 and HD.
Brad Abrahams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 07:31 AM   #190
Panasonic Broadcast

<<<-- Originally posted by Uri Blumenthal : For DVCPro50 there's codec by MainConcept, $349 or so... -->>>

This is not a DVCPRO50 codec. It basic recodes DVCPRO50 to 4:1:1. Do not be mislead here.

Best,

Jan
Old April 7th, 2005, 07:46 AM   #191
New Boot

Jan, what's the horizontal resolution of this new HVX200 in 1080 mode? Is it 1920x1080? 1440x1080? 1280x1080?

Same question for 720p - is it 1280x720, or 960x720?

I mean both recorded and sampled. The reason I'm asking - I tried to find DVCPro-HD specs, and all I found was Adam Wilt's FAQ, where he said that DVCPro-HD 1080/60i samples 1280 Y.

Can you please educate me? Tnx!
Old April 7th, 2005, 07:46 AM   #192
Panasonic Broadcast

Uri Blumenthal asked:

>1. Is Panasonic releasing DVCPro HD codec (for PC) for HVX200 camera?

We have a Partners program, and those companies that want to work with the DVCPRO HD codec can contact us and we will be happy to work with them.

>2. Is there cooperation between Panasonic and Adobe to make Premiere Pro work with DVCPro HD from HVX200?

At this point in time, Adobe has not made any contact concerning this, but my feeling is that they do what their customers want them to do. If you guys that work on the Adobe platform, you should tell them that this is what you want, and if you don't get it you will have to move in another direction. Nobody wants to lose customers, its about keeping customers and getting additional new ones.

>3. How likely is HVX200 to work with PCMCIA disks in place of P2 cards?

Well if the experiments that we have tried with them on the SPX800 are any indication, they probably won't. The small drive is the problem. But please do not let this remark turn into a thread that ate New Jersey.

Best regards,

Jan
Old April 7th, 2005, 08:52 AM   #193
Regular Crew

Jan Crittenden:

Those tests you did, what was the .mbs of those test?

Since 24P/720 is a little under 40mbs ( aprox. 7 mega bytes per second ), this should not be an issue for most drives at all. Now DVCPRO HD 100, well that might be another story.

So did you guys try anything at 40mbs?

If not, what were your data rates you did test?

Now this is most important, Did you guys use the very best drives available?

What brand and size?

Since drive tecnology isa fast moving target, it will improves by the week.

Michael Pappas
htttp://www.PBASE.com/Arrfilms

<<<>3. How likely is HVX200 to work with PCMCIA disks in place of P2 cardsWell if the experiments that we have tried with them on the SPX800 are any indication, they probably won't. The small drive is the problem. But please do not let this remark turn into a thread that ate New Jersey. >>>>
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 09:03 AM   #194
New Boot

Jan, regarding MainConcept DVCPRO50 codec - from their Web page <a href="http://www.mainconcept.com/codecs.shtml"></a>:

DVCPro 25: 4:1:1 Color Space, 8 Bit Quantization, data reduction of 5:1, data rate of 25 Mbit/s

DVCPro 50: 4:2:2 Color Space, 8 Bit Quantization, data reduction of 5:1, data rate of 50 MBit/s

Operating systems: Windows 98, 98SE, 2000, Me, XP
Current version: 3.0.16
Price: $349 (Download-Version)

I see <B>no</B> mentioning of recoding DVCPRO50 to 4:1:1.

P.S. I've submitted a feature request for Adobe to support DVCPro HD and HVX200. We'll see...
Old April 7th, 2005, 10:18 AM   #195
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Jan Crittenden Livingston :
Well if the experiments that we have tried with them on the SPX800 are any indication, they probably won't. The small drive is the problem. But please do not let this remark turn into a thread that ate New Jersey.
Jan -->>>

Well, I'd say if Panasonic was running tests on off the shelf PCMCIA hard drives, then that answers the question about whether or not the camera will interact with different PCMCIA cards instead of P2...

Of course she has a valid point about the drive speeds. I've noticed most mini drives are nowhere near 7200 rpm and their data rates are quite low. Sure some of them say they have the capabilities, but like everything else that goes into a computer (or for that matter the LCD displays used with computers) their listed specs are usually a far cry from the "real world" performance you get from them... Which means, it's only a matter of time. Someone will test the new cam with everything under the sun I imagine.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders