New DVCPro HD / P2 - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old April 7th, 2005, 01:33 PM   #196
Trustee

We are doing a shoot as I write this with TWO varicams rented in from
Roscor. The DP says he has a serious case of camera envy. What I love
is you need so much less light than betacam and the images are stellar.

One cam is on a Jimmy Jib and the other is on a dolly. Both have teleprompters
hooked up.

DROOL!
Old April 7th, 2005, 02:40 PM   #197
Regular Crew

Jan Crittenden

Did you you see those questions I posted a few posts back for you. Sometimes there can be so many posts, that questions get lost...................
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 04:51 AM   #198
Panasonic Broadcast

<<<-- Originally posted by Uri Blumenthal : Jan, regarding MainConcept DVCPRO50 codec - from their Web page <a href="http://www.mainconcept.com/codecs.shtml"></a>:

P.S. I've submitted a feature request for Adobe to support DVCPro HD and HVX200. We'll see... -->>>

It is difficult to say find where I found that, but I went looking last year when a customer asked me about it. As I recall it was a bit of a needle in haystack to find what they were really doing, but it is not a DVCPRO50 codec when they are done.

Best,

Jan
Old April 8th, 2005, 05:02 AM   #199
Panasonic Broadcast

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Pappas : Jan Crittenden

Did you you see those questions I posted a few posts back for you. Sometimes there can be so many posts, that questions get lost................... -->>>

Hi Michael I just found it. I have to say that there are about 5 boards that are flooded with activity and I am in the middle of the preparation for NAB. Trust me when I say that I am just a bit busy. ;-) Tons of prep to do, presentations to create and marketing bulletins to write, website planning etc. You cannot imagine. So I might drop out of sight for the day but will reappear at some point to answer questions that I can answer.

So to answer your Question I think it was a 40Mb drive and we tried with with 25 and 50. I think it was a Toshiba. But I think that the little drive didn't understand what it was supposed to do and since it was not designed to write video and a sustained rate, we blew its little mind. That is not to say that once that industry sees that there is another market they might figure out how to make it work. The thing is once we move away from tape drives and turn it into an IT question, change seems to happen at a much faster rate.

Hope that helps,

jan
Old April 8th, 2005, 05:07 AM   #200
Major Player

Jan, would you revisit this comment -- it seems unsupported by the details posted at Mainconcept's site, and I'd like to be sure that this is what you intended to say:

"<<<-- Originally posted by Uri Blumenthal : For DVCPro50 there's codec by MainConcept, $349 or so... -->>>

This is not a DVCPRO50 codec. It basic recodes DVCPRO50 to 4:1:1. Do not be mislead here.

Best,

Jan"

Cheers,
GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 05:49 AM   #201
Panasonic Broadcast

<<<-- Originally posted by R Geoff Baker : Jan, would you revisit this comment -- it seems unsupported by the details posted at Mainconcept's site, and I'd like to be sure that this is what you intended to say:
This is not a DVCPRO50 codec. It basic recodes DVCPRO50 to 4:1:1. Do not be mislead here.

See where it says Data reduction? 5:1? That is not DVCPRO50. DVCPRO50 is 3.3:1. I will try to give a smidge of time to find where I found the answer I came up with last year. But this is just the first hint that something is fishy.

Best,

Jan
Old April 8th, 2005, 07:27 AM   #202
Major Player

Thanks for the follow-on. It would seem that the codec can't be both 5:1 reduction and 50Mb/s ... the latter implies the 3.3:1 figure common to DVCPro50 & Digital-S.

Your clarification (and any comments from Mainconcept!) are valuable, thanks.

GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 08:47 AM   #203
New Boot

Jan, and let me remind my question about the actual resolution of HVX200. When it takes 720p - does it sample and record 1280x720, or 960x720? Tnx!
Uri Blumenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 12:05 PM   #204
Barry Wan Kenobi

We don't yet know what size the CCD will be, but it will sample at 4:2:2 and the recording will be 960x720 at 4:2:2 color.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 02:20 PM   #205
Major Player

Son of P2

Jan--Since you're in this pipeline, any information on what Panasonic's planning to do with the tiny AV100? For those unfamiliar, it's only 6 ounces, records DVD (700X480) quality video to an SD card. Makes a great camera for extreme sports (in my case, backpacking videos). Just curious about this 2-year-old forerunner of the great and upcoming P2 camcorder.
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 08:52 PM   #206
Major Player

If they are making a version DVCProHD that does a 24p 40Mb/sec stream, why not change the recording to 1280x720?

We are going to have a camera that images 960 and records 1440 and another that images 1280 and records 960!!!
David Ziegelheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 09:01 PM   #207
New Boot

Yes, you understand how crazy it looks to me! [Their only excuse could be compatibility with the old format - though who'd care now I don't know.]
Uri Blumenthal is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders