HVX200 Pricing Speculation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old February 12th, 2005, 11:04 PM   #1
Major Player

Where can I find some info on these tape formats ?
Old February 13th, 2005, 12:28 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

John, click the "p2" link at this Panasonic page:

http://www.panasonic.com/business/provideo/home.asp#

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 05:02 AM   #3
Major Player

Why these camera manufacturers have forgotten the need for better color depth?
Digibeta was 10bits, but after that; hdcam-sr only?
Surely you would think that in 100Mbps or 80Mbps one could fit in addition to four channels of audio, at least 10bit picture, but no...
Why?
Sony being afraid that xdcam-hd would be better than hdcam?
Pana needs to use some decade old dsp's that can handle only 8bits?

Who would buy these days a digital still camera with 8bit colors?
Toke Lahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 07:00 AM   #4
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Brandon Greenlee : The camcorder info article stated that it can record on both MiniDV and P2.

Anyone have a guess to how close to $10k it will be?

-->>>

Hmm...let's see, I predict $9999.99 MSRP. Everyone does that. The XL-2 for under 5k was $4999. And all those tv offers come in at just $19.95 so they can say 'under $20'. Happens in the car business too.

This is a long used psycology in retail. When you place the cost just under a 'magic boundary', it suddenly seems like a better deal to the average consumer.

If this thing produces the beautiful color we've come to expect from Panny, they are going to have a lot of folks lined up for this one. I can envision may DVX users ready to precariously take the next step up without having to break the bank to get into something like the Sony 390 or 570.

Wow, I'm liking 2005 already!

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 07:23 AM   #5
Trustee

Just my 2 cents, but $10,000 for a video camera seems to be a way for us to all go bankrupt. I thought that my $5000 purchase for the Z1 was seriously pushing the boundaries.

I'd really like to know the budgets of everyone here. That seems like a great topic! My budget barely called for the $5000 Z1 - I had to sell some gear to get it. I'm seriously trying to think who can justify a $10,000 video camera....no indie filmmaker can afford that! If you are a *working* videographer...maybe.

I have no doubt the camera will be superb and probably worth the dough, but still...$10,000? It just seems they're taking advantage of the buyers (DVX users and maybe even HDV users looking to make a jump to soon after buying their brand new gear)...most of whom won't recoup that investment unless they're making money and very smart about how that $10,000 will triple itself and be worth it. I admit that I've pushed my limits with the Z1 already!

No one I know personally (in person) can afford the $10,000....just for the camera and with no add-ons or for any "cards". It just seems out of reach for most.
Old February 13th, 2005, 09:29 AM   #6
Major Player

At $10k, it is not a prosumer camera for anyone but the Hummer set. But it looks to be real HD, with real solutions to real problems with the HDV format. I think the price will help crystalize whether we need HD capability or not. If you just want super-quality downconverted SD, maybe the HDV cams is the way to go. If you are shooting for a high-def documentary or sports channel, you need a real HD camera. Time will tell if the rumors are true. Just more babel for the masses as videographers offer HD video in several flavors.
Old February 13th, 2005, 09:33 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

<< Just my 2 cents, but $10,000 for a video camera seems to be a way for us to all go bankrupt. >>

At that price range, it is a business tool. You would expect it to pay for itself within a few months at the most. It is targeted at professional shooters who generate that sort of revenue. To these guys, $10K is a bargain. Remember, everything is relative.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 09:53 AM   #8
Major Player

I won't even think about spending $10,000. My budget is under $5,000. I might have to pick up a cheap Sony Z1 on Ebay!
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 10:14 AM   #9
Wrangler

<<< I'm seriously trying to think who can justify a $10,000 video camera....no indie filmmaker can afford that! -->>>

In addition to Chris' points, I would also like to point out that it is only since the advent of DV that indie filmmakers have had access to inexpensive filmmaking tools at all (outside of Super 8). Ten years ago, if you had offered a $10,000 camera to the indie world that could shoot a theatrically presentable feature, they would have been overjoyed (even if the P2 cards are additional, as a line item they can easily be compared to the cost shooting on negative film, except that they are re-usable...). Few indie filmmakers owned their own cameras; they would raise money for each production and rent, borrow, beg etc. what was needed.

Blah blah blah, nobody wants to hear "when I was your age" stories. But this is such a recent development, it's hard not to bring it up. The advantages presented by this new camera are impressive, and to expect them to come at the same highly affordable price as today's technology is wishful thinking.
Old February 13th, 2005, 11:17 AM   #10
Major Player

I agree - If you're a filmmaker , you would be lucky to pay for film costs to shoot one feature on s16 for 10k - and a a-minima cost 15k w/o lens. If this camera does half of what we're hoping , it will be THE camera of the next couple of years for the indie crowd- and we haven't even thought about the doc crowd. The big question is, if this board can wait until nab ! One thing doesn't make sense - why would panasonic shoot themselves in the foot as far as the sdx900 is concerned ?
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 11:29 AM   #11
Major Player

the sdx900 has 2/3 ccd's and much better lenses, giving you much better resolution and control over depth of field.

this little panny will still have 1/3 ccd's, it ain' a varicam.
Old February 13th, 2005, 11:36 AM   #12
Major Player

Plus, I'll bet this this AJ-HDX100 comes in closer to five thousand than ten.
Old February 13th, 2005, 11:50 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I'd take that bet, and hope I lose!!
Being the cynic I am, $9k+ is what I expect....
Douglas Habib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 01:15 PM   #14
Major Player

It seems to me that 5k is the magic top of the "ownership" level. Under 5k, I want to own it, over that...maybe I'll rent it.

<-- hoping Jan is taking notes ;-)
Old February 13th, 2005, 01:36 PM   #15
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Kurth Bousman : I agree - If you're a filmmaker , you would be lucky to pay for film costs to shoot one feature on s16 for 10k - and a a-minima cost 15k w/o lens. -->>>

Sure, and let's not forget sound--I'd rather record double system with an outboard recorder, but you can certainly forego that with an HD camera and record onboard, saving the cost of the DAT/MD/whatever recorder plus syncing time.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders