If the price was $9999.99 would you buy one? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old March 13th, 2005, 03:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

If the price was $9999.99 would you buy one?

I the price was $5900.00 we would all buy one but if the starting price was $9999.99 would you still buy one or wait a year.
Paul Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2005, 04:22 PM   #2
Contributor

Nope, I might prefer the upcoming shoulder-mount HDV from JVC, which for less than $10k will also have interchangeable lenses. And for $5900 neither if a third-party hard disk can't be used in the P2 slot.
Old March 13th, 2005, 04:30 PM   #3
Inner Circle

im with ignacio on tis...

also, i wont be shooting in 1080i.. id prefer to shoo tin 720p and teh P2 cam as well as teh JVC will be able to to do this..

there are many resons why 720p is superior to 1080i, and mainly its system and storage resources, as well as progressive scan...

the jvc will be 24p/25p switchable, with upscaling to 1080i (much like HDV now... ie the image is actually upscaled) but th eprogressive nature of the iumage capture and teh removable lenses should make it a far more worthwile investment as opposed to the Z1...

as for teh p2 cam.. my biggest concern is price and media costs.. im happy to buy 2 or 3 128gb cards, but its all about the $$ and how much of a return i will get if i do go this way... at teh moment, i cant make that decision without knowing what impact it will have on my workload and clientelle..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2005, 11:53 PM   #4
Major Player

no,,,I'm on a under $5,000 budget. So I'm waiting to see what comes out next month.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 08:11 AM   #5
Major Player

A DVCPro25/50/100 camera for under $10K? Duh! Heck yeah I'd get one. P2 card would just be a bonus. The cards, in any useable amount, are more than the camera. I'd still use them I'm sure, but having the option of tape would be nice. If it didn't offer tape-recording... yep, I'd still get one. Make it small, light and fast!
Now having said that I would have to quantify the statement. It would HAVE to have certain features or the deal is OFF. I don't "need" a High-Def camera right now so I'm in no hurry to buy one. It would be absolutely imperative that the new camera exceed my PD-170 in EVERY single way. The reason I am not jazzed about the new Sony cameras (besides the HDV format) is for this very reason. I am NOT going to take a step backwards in hardware to get a bigger image that I won't even use. This means NO built in cheesy microphone (that no pro will ever use and only gets in the way of everything), MUST have decent low light (1Lux), MUST have at least 2 XLR inputs, MUST record uncompressed audio and for a new camera, it MUST have 16:9 native chips. These are not negotiable, if it's not there, they don't get my money.

My next camera will probably be a 1/2 - 2/3 incher anyway but I just love the size of these smaller units. I rent cameras when I need to so I don't mind renting some more until someone makes one I feel like buying.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 12:29 PM   #6
Inner Circle

"A DVCPro25/50/100 camera for under $10K"

i have it on good authority that the prosumer 1/3 CCD P@ DVCProHD cams will NOT record in 100mbps...
25 and 50 switchable, yes.. but not 100.. i dont know where people got this info from..

maybe for the higher end pro cams but not the smaller one.. no way in hell...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 12:39 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Isn't 100mbps one of the requirements of the DVCPRO HD format? If the camera is recording HD at 50 mbps then they would have to introduce a new codec.
Brad Abrahams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 12:42 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

It's billed as a DVCPro HD camcorder.

If it's DVCPro HD, then it's 100mbps.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 12:50 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Perhaps if the camcorder recorded only 24 and 30p, which would have a 40 and 50 mpbs data rate respectively, it would fall into Peter's 50 mpbs prediction.
Old March 14th, 2005, 01:13 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Which would seem to point to 720p, wouldn't it?

Old March 14th, 2005, 01:48 PM   #11
Regular Crew

That's what I was referring to.
Old March 14th, 2005, 02:42 PM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

If this is the case, then the maximum recording time for DVCPro HD to a P2 card is much higher than we've been suggesting so far. At 50mbps it would be on the order of 9min. on a 4GB card and 18min. on an 8GB card.

Old March 14th, 2005, 02:45 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Wouldn't Panasonic need to define a new format? I was under the impression that DVCPRO HD is encoded at 100 mbps by nature, regardless of recorded frame rate as redundant frames were flagged. At least in Avid Xpress HD I know the DVCPRO HD codec is always encoded 100 mbps.
Old March 14th, 2005, 03:00 PM   #14
Barry Wan Kenobi

DVCPRO-HD is at all times 100 megabits. The "active frames" may be encoded in less when recording progressive-scan 720p directly to P2 or hard disk (that remains to be verified), but even so, the data rate per frame is identical to what it would be at the full 100 megabit rate that would otherwise be going to tape. When recording 1080i, it is always 100 megabits. When recording 720p, it's capable of up to 60 distinct frames per second in 100 megabits. If it's recording fewer frames, then it's possible (perhaps even likely) that it may record only the "active" frames, which would make for a lower data rate, but that's only possible on hard disk or memory, it couldn't do that on tape, DVCPRO-HD tape is always always always 100 megabits.

Otherwise, I'm with Rhett on this -- I'm expecting it to be AT LEAST as good as the DVX, just with HD recording. If they give with one hand and take away with the other, I (and I'm sure many others) would be quite disappointed.

Peter, what "good authority" said otherwise? Everything Jan has said has been completely consistent: it's full-fledged, full-on, absolute 100% DVCPRO-HD. It's not a new format, it's not a limited version of it, otherwise it wouldn't be DVCPRO-HD.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 06:40 PM   #15
Panasonic Broadcast

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Jefferson : "A DVCPro25/50/100 camera for under $10K"

i have it on good authority that the prosumer 1/3 CCD P@ DVCProHD cams will NOT record in 100mbps...
25 and 50 switchable, yes.. but not 100.. i dont know where people got this info from..

maybe for the higher end pro cams but not the smaller one.. no way in hell... -->>>

Peter,

Tell your source they are wrong. Plain, simple, wrong. It will record in DVCPROHD 100Mbps.

Best,

Jan

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders