P2 cards are 100% "Media" The pure deffinition of Media supports that at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old March 28th, 2005, 11:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

P2 cards are 100% "Media" The pure deffinition of Media supports that

P2 cards are 100% "Media". The pure definition of Media supports that.

--------
Definitions for Media
1. Objects on which data can be stored. These include hard disks, floppy disks, CD-ROMs, and tapes. 2. The form and technology used to communicate information. Multimedia presentations, for example, combine sound, pictures, and videos, all of which are different types of media.

noun: a means or instrumentality for storing or communicating information.
--------

I have ten times more supporting evidence that supports this, but I believe this summed it up.

Michael Pappas
http://www.Pbase.com/ARRFILMS
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2005, 11:58 AM   #2
Major Player

You are right, I suppose, that P2 is a type of media.
What many people seem to miss in the discussion of P2 however is that it is 'reusable' media.

I think that's part of the reason Panasonic is calling P2 'memory' and not 'media.' To help seperate it from the way we think of tape. P2 should be viewed as an investment (the way we think of hard drives) not as an expendable (the way we think of tape). Even though both are considered media, they are very different in terms of workflow and longevity.
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2005, 12:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Reusable as these are too!

Definitions for Media
1. Objects on which data can be stored. These include hard disks, floppy disks, CD-ROMs, and tapes

All of these are Rewrite Media as others are too....

When I first read this a week or two ago that P2 was not media I didn't say anything. But I know the english language and the definitions of those words, so I felt it was necessary to straighten this one out.

Anyway I can't wait to see Panasonic P2 media at work. Going tapeless is finally starting to happen in the mainstream arena.

Michael Pappas
Http://www.pbase.com/ARRFILMS

<<<-- Originally posted by Luis Caffesse : You are right, I suppose, that P2 is a type of media.
What many people seem to miss in the discussion of P2 however is that it is 'reusable' media.
Old March 28th, 2005, 12:44 PM   #4
Major Player

You're right, all of those types of media are reusable.

But when was the last time you reused a tape on a paid gig?
:)

Semantically, you are correct.
I suppose I meant it in more of a practical sense.

For all intents and purposes, I do not consider tape to be 'reusable' - and surely not up to 100,000 times (like P2 cards).

Either way, we both agree.
The bottom line is, death to tape!
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2005, 01:24 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Luis! I never reused tape, but I know people who do reuse HD tape and etc.

I reuse my CF 1 gig media and Micro IBM drive media all the time in my SLR's.

A friend of mine works for a news media gathering data tracking group. They use BetaSp and Digibeta for recording news and media events for PR firms etc. They dump that tape material off to Avids and take out the not needed material and store that new version on library hard drive systems for future client use. They use a videotape degausser and reuse them over and over. No issues for them. It all depends on the needs.

Michael Pappas
http://www.pbase.arrfilms

<<<-- Originally posted by Luis Caffesse : You're right, all of those types of media are reusable.

But when was the last time you reused a tape on a paid gig?
:)

Semantically, you are correct.
I suppose I meant it in more of a practical sense.

For all intents and purposes, I do not consider tape to be 'reusable' - and surely not up to 100,000 times (like P2 cards).

Either way, we both agree.
The bottom line is, death to tape! -->>>
Old March 28th, 2005, 01:29 PM   #6
Regular Crew

<<<<Either way, we both agree.
The bottom line is, death to tape!>>>

Luis
I second that, oh hell I will even third that if that can be done...............

The rise of P2 media and any other form of memory chip media is amongst us. NAB feels so far away. GGrrrrrrrrrr!

Michael Pappas
http://www.pbase/ARRFILMS
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders