It's official: Panasonic AG-HVX200 - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old April 1st, 2005, 11:21 AM   #91
Regular Crew

4GB SanDisk Compact flash $299 at fry's. It's amazing how memory prices are dropping. P2 is going to reflect this market. Panasonic is smart, they are not going to shoot their own foot over P2 cards......

<<<-- Originally posted by Luis Caffesse : [i
I doubt we'll be spending $6400 on P2 cards.

Also, a 4gb card will hold about 5 minutes of 720P60 footage.
The data rate is cut by 60% when you shoot 24P (to 40mb/s). So, on a 4gb card you can fit roughly 13 minutes of 720P24 footage.

And again, prices will drop for P2. New prices will probably be announed at NAB. Panasonic knows what they're doing.

The camera won't be available for months probably, so we can't make many judgement based off the cost of P2 cards today. What matters is the cost of P2 cards when the camera is released. -->>>
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 12:29 PM   #92
Regular Crew

Err... Just a question...

If Firestore is implemented with dvcproHD or 50 codec, what denies other people with ohter cameras to record the image in this codec? Does it recognize the camera is being used?

I know if its 4:1:1 won´t get more info, but if working for different TV agencies with different systems (DVCPRO, DVCAM) you could record for them this way... Is it possible?
Old April 1st, 2005, 01:20 PM   #93
Major Player

The Firestore doesn't apply a codec -- it just records the data file sent over the Firewire connection with a codec already applied.

GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 02:35 PM   #94
Regular Crew

Ups.... let it go quietly...

ehem..hem...ehem...

So... Was it one or two P2 slots?... ;D
Old April 1st, 2005, 04:06 PM   #95
Major Player

hi Michael - the cool thing about the 720/24p@13 minutes for a 4 gig card is , is that's about like run time on a 16mm 400 mag- wow , that's a drop in media size for comparable quality - from a 400ft. mag to the size of a cf card in 10 years. Sure will beat the used Aaton market to death , considering the cards can be reexposed ....and reexposed....and reexposed....and , they say 50,000x.If I trust your storage numbers , then I could go for 5 4gig p2 cards @ 300 each w/o even blinking.If , and it's a big if, the camera is reasonably priced - like lower than halfway between 10k and a z1. Panasonic must be listening. Also , we haven't seen anything about cine gamma , have we ?Kurth
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 05:18 PM   #96
Trustee

If the new camera does not have firewire...

I was thinking today that if P2 cards work in a cardbus slot of a laptop then would cardbus expansion cards made for laptops work in a P2 slot? You could then add a firewire cardbus card to the P2 slot and have a live firewire network feed from the camera. You could also stick in a gigabit cardbus adapter as well. I don't know if the camera will be smart enough to use those cards or not but it could open up a lot of options for us to not record on P2.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 07:18 PM   #97
Obstreperous Rex

Think about it, there's no practical way for it NOT to have two slots (at least)... one of the big advantages of P2 is hot-swapping on the fly, which requires... yep, at least two card slots.

Other Panasonic P2 cams offer options for SDI, FireWire and USB 2.0. I'd be very surprised if the HVX didn't have FireWire or USB 2.0.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 09:19 PM   #98
Trustee

I am sure it will have USB2 since that is the one of the main ways of editing with P2. Other P2 equipment can be used as an external hard drive when using USB2.

As for the 2 slot thing I am not so sure. If everything is true about the camera so far Panasonic will have to cripple it somehow when compared to the other high end P2 gear. If it did only have one slot the camera would still be very usefull for film people. Swapping the cards would only be needed for those who need to shoot for a long time without stopping. For mini DV users this is already an issue with events over 1 hour. Eventually we will have P2 cards that can fit 1 hour of HD. At that point having 2 slots will not be a crucial as it is right now.

One thing is for sure if it does only have one slot at least the swapping should be much faster than it is with tape. You should (in theory) be able to swap cards in 10 seconds.

Can anybody who has used the current P2 gear confirm this?
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 10:29 PM   #99
Major Player

"If everything is true about the camera so far Panasonic will have to cripple it somehow"

Have we really become this cynical after years of crippled prosumer cams?

I guess so.
:)

I have to go with Chris on this one.
A 1 slot P2 camcorder would be much more than just crippled, it would be on it's deathbed.

The biggest obstacles Panasonic has when it comes to convincing people to switch over to P2 seems to be price and recording time.

Price drops are expected at NAB.
And as far as recording time goes....with 2 P2 slots, you could theoretically shoot forever.
That makes for great marketing fodder.
I doubt Panasonic would pass up that opportunity.
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 11:26 PM   #100
Inner Circle

Trying to keep things in perspective...

We are fortunate that we live in a time where we have an embarrasment of riches. Between Sony, Panasonic, Adobe, Apple and others.. none of us will have an excuse to not achieve our dreams.

Just pick your tools, don't waste time worrying about what someone else has, and start creating.

really.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2005, 02:35 AM   #101
Trustee

Really Joe. A great idea.

guess I will go take you up on it now with our latest project. :)
Obin Olson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders