DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   It's official: Panasonic AG-HVX200 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/42127-its-official-panasonic-ag-hvx200.html)

Jan Crittenden Livingston March 31st, 2005 09:17 AM

It's official: Panasonic AG-HVX200

Take a look here:

http://www.whatsnewatnab.com/search/code.php?code=031

Admin's note: Jan did not actually start this thread -- she was responding to another post elsewhere on this forum, and I felt it was important enough to split into its own dedicated topic. The "it's official" title is my doing, not hers. Just so we're all clear...

CH

Kevin Dooley March 31st, 2005 09:27 AM

Okay, I'm assuming that since you posted that Jan, that it's no joke? Wow, there's a camera to satisfy all your different HD desires. NAB cannot get here quick enough.

Robert Mann Z. March 31st, 2005 09:39 AM

jan i have to say i hope that bag is removable, because i can see running into all types of issues when using this camcorder...other then that, the specs look fine... thanks for the heads up and see you at NAB

Chris Hurd March 31st, 2005 09:45 AM

DVX form factor, as promised! Betcha that's a Leica lens on that thing.

Chris Hurd March 31st, 2005 09:53 AM

Yowza! Does this make you happy?

The AG-HVX200 records on a P2 card in 1080 in 60i, 30p and 24p; in720 in 60p, 30p and 24p; in 480 in 60i, 30p, and 24p either in DVCPRO50 and DVCPRO.

1080/24p, how about that?

Aaron Shaw March 31st, 2005 10:12 AM

w00t!

Haha!

Luis Caffesse March 31st, 2005 10:47 AM

Wow.

3 different resolutions.
4 different frame rates.
DVCPro100, 50, and 25

This thing is actually more than I had hoped for, and my expectations were already pretty high.

I had just taken it as a given that 720 would be the only HD mode available. 1080 comes as a huge surprise.

The ability to shoot 60P in 720 mode is also just as nice.
2.3 times faster than 24P give us real usable slow motion for the first time (in a camera I could feasibly afford that is).

Very nice.
Very very nice.

Michael Pappas March 31st, 2005 11:00 AM

CHRIS, Since it's official. Is this forum now going to get a home.

Chris Hurd March 31st, 2005 11:02 AM

Yeah, but it's going to have to wait just a bit longer... there's a major reorg that will happen here before NAB... can't say much more than that right now though.

Bob Zimmerman March 31st, 2005 11:08 AM

It looks like it might have enough room for tape. There was some talk it might be able to use tape also. For some of use tape would be nice to aleast get the camera and then buy the P2 cards later.

Luis Caffesse March 31st, 2005 11:23 AM

I seriously doubt you will see tape on this camera.
Jan has all but said it will not record to tape, the price point also points to no tape transport, and even if it did have a tape option it would only be useful for the DVCPro codec.

Also, if tape were an option it probably would have been mentioned in the released info.

All signs point to 'no tape' I think. And personally I think that's a good move.

"there's a major reorg that will happen here before NAB... can't say much more than that right now though."

Wow, suspense is building everywhere right before NAB.
And I thought the only suprises we were in store for were affordable HD cameras.

Can't wait to see what's on the horizon, Chris.

Steven White March 31st, 2005 11:28 AM

3 different resolutions

What are the CCDs?

Without knowing the native resolution of the source image, I'm not going to get too excited.

There's also the downside of the camera having too many features... each setting is another excuse to increase the price - even if I'd only ever really want to use one of 'em.

Aaron Shaw March 31st, 2005 11:29 AM

Well it has been said that the camera will be competitive with the Z1. That to me would suggest a price not too much different (and what a better deal!).

I suspect 1/3" CCDs. Anything more than that and this camera would dig deep into their SDX900 sales I'm guessing. Heck even with 1/3" chips...

Or maybe they went the route of one large CMOS sensor? Hmmm..
I'm guessing it will be 960 horizontal pixels - like the Sony. In which case it would use pixel shift to get 1440 -> 1920. In fact I'm pretty sure. Too many more and dynamic range suffers.

Michael Pappas March 31st, 2005 11:32 AM

THERE IS NO MENTION OF TAPE. IT's P2 only. Tape dead, Memoery Media good and very alive. I am shocked at the feature list on formats. The fact that it has 1080 and 720 and all frame rates needed and one that blew me away ( 60P ) Ala , It's a MINI SHOWSCAN CAMERA now. At this point no one can compete with these specs.

<<<-- Originally posted by Luis Caffesse : I seriously doubt you will see tape on this camera.
Jan has all but said it will not record to tape, the price point also points to no tape transport, and even if it did have a tape option it would only be useful for the DVCPro codec.

Also, if tape were an option it probably would have been mentioned in the released info.

All signs point to 'no tape' I think. And personally I think that's a good move.

"there's a major reorg that will happen here before NAB... can't say much more than that right now though."

Wow, suspense is building everywhere right before NAB.
And I thought the only suprises we were in store for were affordable HD cameras.

Can't wait to see what's on the horizon, Chris. -->>>

Luis Caffesse March 31st, 2005 11:37 AM

"each setting is another excuse to increase the price - even if I'd only ever really want to use one of 'em."

The price has been said to be 'below $10,000'

Also, we aren't talking about 'settings' here like detail coring or gamma curve control. We're talking about features that before seemed mutually exclusive. This camera is obviously made for the person who needs versatility.

Shooting DV one day, HD the next, and DVCPro50 the week later.

I was just explaining to Chris earlier today that this is exactly what has stopped me from purchasing a camera for a long time. I do a lot of DV shooting, but also shoot DVCPro50, and every now and again HD. I don't shoot any one of the them consistently enough to justify buying a camera that is married to only one format (and an SDX is out of my league). This seems to be a great compromise for people who do a lot of various types of shoots.

Esentially, 3 cameras in one.

Obviously the proof is in the pudding...and we'll hopefully see that at NAB. But, from the sounds of it, the price will not be out of line (in my opinion) with what the camera is capable of delivering.

"At this point no one can compete with these specs."

I wholeheartedly agree!