hvx200; why did they skip hvx100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old April 3rd, 2005, 02:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

hvx200; why did they skip hvx100?

Don't camera names usually start with 100 & move up;

Is it likely that they didn't announce a non p2 model (dv tape) called the hvx100 to protect dvx100 sales or just to avoid any confusion between the 2 models. dvx100 vs hvx100?
Jed Williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2005, 02:52 PM   #2
Trustee

Yeah, I guess HVX100 and DVX100 could get confusing for some, but I wouldn't think so among video people who tend to know their arse from their elbow.

When I heard the rumour of the two models, I was hoping that there would be a lower specced model at a cheaper price. But I guess it might be too hard keeping HD in a lower specced camera.

Aaron
Old April 3rd, 2005, 03:02 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

My guess is that they wanted to avoid confusion.

In this industry you really shouldn't bother trying to suss out the reasoning behind model numbers... it's a rather arcane methodology that comes from a Japanese corporate philosophy. For instance, Ikegami cameras carry an "HL" designation... the HL stands for "handy looky," no kidding. Then there's that story about the number Four representing bad luck or some other superstition, therefore it's kind of rare in this market. For example Canon went straight from the PowerShot G3 to the G5. Canon and Fuji both offered an S1 camera at the same time. Canon had an S300 camera and an S300 printer at the same time. Take digital SLR's... Canon offered a 1D and Nikon offered a D1 at the same time. In order of digital SLR upgrades of the same model, Canon went from the D30 to the D60 to the 10D to the 20D -- try to make sense out of that! And at trade shows many people have talked to me about the Sony DVX1000, the Panasonic VX100, the Canon X2 and so on. Point is, it's a confusing realm. Don't put too much stock into it or try to make sense out of it because often times... there isn't any.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2005, 03:15 PM   #4
Trustee

Yeah, and then ship those identical products to another country, and watch it get more confusing. Seeing as alot people research their next buy's on US sites, they might know the model is XXX over in the US but really it's YYY in their country. Craziness.

Aaron

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders