About My Posts- Please Read!!!!!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old April 6th, 2005, 07:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

_ About My Posts- Please Read!!!!!!!

On another board, a member had complaints about me sharing with friends here some thoughts that I shared with friends there as well. This is my response as I don't want the same issue to rise up here. This was my open letter to that board.

------
Subject: sharing the same info with different friends at different places.

The reason for this is not everyone that is on this board knows about the other boards or even goes to them.

There are people here that don't go to DVinfo or DVX and vice versa.

It's no different then going to 3 different coffee shops and telling three separate groups of friends who don't know each other a story or some thoughts.

To believe that if i told one group of friends at one coffee shop what I believed were important thoughts, would prevent me from sharing with other friends at the next coffee shop would make this a tough environment to communicate to all your friends.

To live by this imposed standard If you want to make a public announcement, share thoughts or have a garage sale you would only be allowed to put one sign up on one tree in entire neighborhood. Doing this you would never reach anyone other then those that pass that one tree among thousands of trees in a neighborhood. How would anyone know about it.

These three boards are my favorite and I like everyone on all of them. I like sharing my thoughts and concerns about the business and it's technologies.

I see this as a neighborhood of people I know and like. Many of them don't know of each other, but I know a bunch of the people, and I am going to their homes to tell them something that may be of interest to them. Now does this mean because i went to one of my friends home and told them something I believed to be important, I can't go to another friends house around the corner two blocks over and tell them my thoughts either?

I didn't post this in different forums on the same board, any more then I would walk room to room in a friends house a yell out what i believed to be important info. As I said, I went to separate friends at different homes on others streets and shared some thoughts.

I didn't mean this to be rude, or harmful in anyway as suggested. if this is how it's coming across i am sorry for that. I am only trying to help here, not throw fire bombs at anyone.

Many of you know that I have been on theses boards many many years. I never intend to cause problems but only share my thoughts and hope for a meaningful exchange among friends.

Thank you!

Michael Pappas
http://www.Pbase.com/ARRFILMS
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 07:29 PM   #2
Capt. Quirk

I don't see any problem here, as long as the thoughts are truly yours. Now, if they were someone elses thoughts, and you claim them as your own... we don't need no legal hassels here ;)
Old April 6th, 2005, 07:58 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

I'm glad that didn't happen to you here, Michael.

What is NOT cool is copying someone else's post from some other message board and pasting it here -- that is something I would like to remind our members NOT to do --- just post a link. Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:19 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm glad too! Thanks for the support my good friend!

Michael Pappas
http://www.pbase.com/ARRFILMS

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : I'm glad that didn't happen to you here, Michael., -->>>
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:32 PM   #5
Wrangler

Hi Michael,

Although I'll admit to sneaking over there a couple times to do searches on 24p questions I had, I don't frequent DVX -- so I had to go see what the fuss was about. ;-) Initially, I was dismayed that it was a DVX forum moderator that slammed you, but he quickly redeemed himself by withdrawing his post and unequivocally apologizing to you. That's not easy for a lot of people to do; good on him!

Seems no permanent harm done in the end.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 11:43 AM   #6
Major Player

WOW! Pretty sad. I have actually stopped going to other forums because of that kind of attitude. Now this is one of the only forums I ever visit, really the ONLY one now because Apple changed their format a couple of years ago and it's just a big PITA now. "Redeemed himself?" I don't think so, forced to face the music is more like it. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but sometimes a big ego can get in the way of logic, until it gets shot down by a bunch of your peers.
Just keep coming here and we'll make sure your right at home. I actually LIKE when people do that because it means I don't need to wander very far to find the info.
There's no place like home and every time I visit, the little message in the corner reminds me, I'm home.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 11:54 AM   #7
Major Player

" There's no place like home and every time I visit, the little message in the corner reminds me, I'm home."

It is oddly comforting, isn't it?
I look forward to that little message too.

I don't want this to turn into a 'Us vs. Them' type discussion, but for the record, and I've already talked to Micheal about this, the views of one moderator don't always reflect the views of all moderators.

I bounce around a lot of boards as well...okay, not a lot, but 3. Here, the cow, and DVXuser. So I know I'm probably pretty likely to see the same post more than once... hell, I've probably posted the same thing more than once myself.

Anyhow, the point is that in my mind we're all one giant community of people who not only love what they do, but seek to both learn from eachother, as well as teach one another.

I know I'm lucky to be surrounded by such knowledgable people, and I just hope to one day be able to give back a tenth of the knowledge I've picked up over the years, regardless of what address my webbrowser may read.
:)
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 12:46 PM   #8
Trustee

DVinfo is the only place that let's you screw up (and look like an ass) by posting something stupid and then apologize. Also, DVinfo doesn't boot you off unless it's really, really something that needs to happen. (I personally haven't seen anyone ever banned from here, but I'm sure it's happened.)

There's a forum out there where the leaders quite regularly threaten users with banning them (and do). But, at the same time they're threatening and banning you - they talk about "community" in the same sentence! It's weird power trip when you're in-charge of people's keyboards. I personally don't want to be in-charge of people's posts..I've got a hard enough time keeping myself out of trouble!

It's funny, but Chris Hurd barely talks about "community" blah, blah, blah...and yet, the "community" thrives here.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders