HARD DRIVE Support: This is huge - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old April 18th, 2005, 07:35 AM   #16
Regular Crew

A firewire drive enclosure that includes a rechargeable lithium-ion battery with 10+ hours of usage per charge. This would be perfect if the hvx streams the data over firewire:

http://www.macpower.com/productdetai...&catid=311,316

We still have no official confirmation on the HDD recording though. It may just mean that the camera will automatically transfer files form the P2 cards in the slots to a HDD connected to the USB or FW outputs.
Brad Abrahams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 07:41 AM   #17
Major Player

I got the info from Noah Kadner, who posted on DVXUser.
He got it directly from Panasonic Engineers.

So, I haven't heard it directly from Panasonic officials...but I think it's as good as confirmed in my mind.

HERE IS THE LINK TO THAT THREAD

www.videoindie.com
Keep up with all the HVX NAB news!
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 08:07 AM   #18
New Boot

Does anyone know if there's a max. length of the connecting cable (USB of FireWire) between the camera and an external hard drive? Will a cable that's too long screw up the data transfer? If this possible at all..

Kasper Rye Petersen
Kasper Rye Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 08:17 AM   #19
RED Code Chef

Yes there are maximum lenghts to both. I'm not sure from my mind what it
was, but don't expect to have a long cable to your camera.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 08:21 AM   #20
Major Player

laptop 2.5" drives are up to 160gigs I think. But even still, 80 gigs are plenty for 1 day of shooting.

an 80 gig laptop drive will hold roughly 80 minutes of 1080p @ 100mbps DVCPROHD. If the Panasonica camera dumps the wasted frames, then its over 3 hours on a single 80gig drive of FULL RESOLUTION HD video with the Pany camera!

Unlike using a $1120 firestore solution....it's all about BYOD.

*smile* That's exactly what I would tell the executive producers... BRING YOUR OWN DRIVE!!! And best of all...no fumbling with the camera every 4 minutes pulling cards out the back of it between takes (that is a foreseeable nightmare!)

I just woke up and heading to first call. I will have my laptop with me to hear the reports. I pray this possible good news comes back as YES IT CAN.

- ShannonRawls.com
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 08:34 AM   #21
Major Player

Whoa oh ho my lord!!!

I'm bloody glad I haven't spent on a Z1 yet!....

This sounds like a potential killer... Anyone know confirmed street price and date yet???
Dominic Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 08:36 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon rawls
an 80 gig laptop drive will hold roughly 80 minutes of 1080p @ 100mbps DVCPROHD. If the Panasonica camera dumps the wasted frames, then its over 3 hours on a single 80gig drive of FULL RESOLUTION HD video with the Pany camera!
The cam will only drop redundant frames in 720p mode. in 1080 mode it will always record 30p, 60i or 60i with a 2:3:3:2 pulldown for 24p like the DVX, and always at 100Mbs.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 08:40 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Pank
The cam will only drop redundant frames in 720p mode. in 1080 mode it will always record 30p, 60i or 60i with a 2:3:3:2 pulldown for 24p like the DVX, and always at 100Mbs.

Oh.

shiat!!!

*rubbing chin*

WELL SO WHAT.... *smile* This is still GREAT NEWS if it does this. I can deal with 80minutes on a cheap 80 gig drive. I would buy them by the box and sell them to the execs. LOLOL

- Shannon W. Rawls
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 08:42 AM   #24
Major Player

It certainly seems like the best approach so far. Still, I'm waiting for confirmation, as at the moment the only place I've read about the hard drive thing is on the forums.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 08:58 AM   #25
Regular Crew

WOW! All I can say is WoW! Very cool Luis!

Michael Pappas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Caffesse
It seems this camera will record to ANY firewire or USB2.0 drive that will support the datarate.

That means, no need for an expensive 3rd party solution.

Apparently the Panasonic engineers had it working with an Ipod.
:)

Pretty cool.
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 09:02 AM   #26
Major Player

" Anyone know confirmed street price and date yet???"

we won't know the street price until it hits the streets i guess.

panasonic is saying fourth quarter, which probably means october.
they usually don't dilly dally too much with their releases, so i doubt we'll have to wait until december.

www.videoindie.com
HVX News and links as i find them
Old April 18th, 2005, 09:10 AM   #27
Major Player

"Does anyone know if there's a max. length of the connecting cable (USB of FireWire) between the camera and an external hard drive? Will a cable that's too long screw up the data transfer? If this possible at all.."

looks like 14.5 ft for firewire
16 feet for usb.

apparently you can get 'active' extention cables for each of those that will allow for longer lengths.

i just posted some stuff about it at the link above.
Old April 18th, 2005, 10:07 AM   #28
Major Player

This is exciting, but don't forget that with a HD, there will be no way to check back what you are recording unless you also have a laptop. That is one advantage of the P2 cards and the FireStore system...you can check tape..d'oh...you can check...drive.

Anyways, I don't know about you guys, but I really like to check back takes once in a while and I KNOW I will want to when I'm recording to something that I cannot see moving. So I still think a FireStore unit might be the best way to go.

KW
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 10:33 AM   #29
Trustee

Hey what about using a USB2 flash memory stick at 1GB? It would only give you a minute of 1080 HD but might be great for very short shots. You just get a couple of those and have them pocking out the side of the camera. After each minute (or 2 minutes if you use 720) you just swap the stick with another and quickly transfer to something else. It would be like using P2 but smaller and a lot cheaper. These are pretty cheap and do not need a power source unless the camera cannot supply power to the devices. Actually there are some 2 and 4 GB flash sticks out now but they are kind of slow. They might work for 720p but I doubt they would work for 1080.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 11:02 AM   #30
Major Player

an article on dvxuser.com says that the camera can dub from a P2 card directly to a harrdive. Do you think this means you have to record to a P2 card and then there might be a menu option that dumps the files onto the harddrive? If so, that kind of defeats the purpose.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V3/showthread.php?t=25100
Riley Harmon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders