HARD DRIVE Support: This is huge - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old April 18th, 2005, 11:21 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Caffesse
looks like 14.5 ft for firewire
16 feet for usb.

apparently you can get 'active' extention cables for each of those that will allow for longer lengths.
Well, 14.5ft = what? 4m... Should be good for anything other than massive crane shots or a HUGE dolly (and even then you could always put the disk/laptop on the dolly platform).

I'm very excited about this, just waiting for some conformation that this is *really* possible! :)
Dominic Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 11:29 AM   #32
Major Player

From folks at NAB:
Apparently you CAN dub from the P2 card directly to an USB/Firewire hard drive. - And you can't do this while recording to another card.

However Panasonic wouldn't answer whether you can record DIRECTLY to a hard drive. Sounds like somethign they are really working on, but they haven't quite figured out so don't want to comit to.

- Mikko.
Old April 18th, 2005, 11:51 AM   #33
Major Player

Yeah, it looks like the initial reports were a bit premature, and possibly due to a misunderstanding.

My apologies for spreading the news too quickly.
I was only repeating what I had read was a confirmed feature.

Hopefully panasonic will make this a feature on the final model.

www.videoindie.com
HVX Updates, news and links
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 12:38 PM   #34
Trustee

I really didn't think they would allow it. Who honestly would buy a bunch of P2 cards if you could just use a hard drive? Even when cards geta litle bit bigger you still have to swap them which could be a pain. What if you forget to swap them? I think at the end of the day after people buy a $6000.00 camera and they have to decide between great trnasfer speeds but low recoding times and huge prices or large hard dive, somewhat slower transfer but dirt cheap I think a huge chunk of the market would go with the hard drive option. Even when 128 P2 cards come out at that point everybody will have been using hard drives for a few years and wouldn't really see the need to switch. Hard drives have worked great for them these last couple of years why spend the money and switch now. Now if the price of P2 came way down perhaps people would buy them based on their ease of use and small size but if nobody buys P2 now how could the price ever go down? Either the price will stay high or P2 itself would die out since nobody would buy the cards.

If direct recording to other media actually works I for one can say I will either be getting a mobile hard drive or use a 4 GB USB2 flash stick that has a data rate of 14 MB/S which would be fine for 720p.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 12:57 PM   #35
Major Player

I for one would rather use P2 cards than an external drive.
But I would still like the option to use the external....

It's not nearly as exciting though if that external has to be a 3rd party type device that will be much more expensive than an off the shelf drive.
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 01:41 PM   #36
Wrangler

Per Jan Crittenden this morning. Firestore, soon to be called DTE is working on an HD version for the camera. Interestingly, the folks over at the JVC booth said the same about their camera. So, Panasonic probably won't spill too much info since they have a company working on a dedicated solution.

-gb-

Last edited by Greg Boston; February 27th, 2009 at 11:19 PM. Reason: removal of my cell number
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 02:18 PM   #37
Major Player

It's p2 cards till a HD option is available.

I think people will find p2 cards lighter and easy too offload, not too mention the storage capacities will double every 6 months and prices will cut almost in half.

Not sure I want to attach a large drive on the back of the camera, but who knows. Also speed is more important than size. 1080 24/p would be quite demanding to record.
Old April 18th, 2005, 02:28 PM   #38
Major Player

I think some of you may be getting a little ahead of yourselves. Panna have suggested, but not confirmed direct to HDD recording. There's no reason it shouldn't work - all that's required is a disk reading at the right data rates and firmware/software to lay it down. Be patient. I am sure a solution is coming. The reality is that we need the HDD solution until P2's become affordable, not the other way around. Barry Green's report from NAB also said that once you've recorded to P2, you'll never go back. P2 = NO DROPOUTS!
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 02:37 PM   #39
Trustee

That would be a shame if they were working with the Firestore folks. That will no doubt up the price considerably from just pluggin in an HD. Now, if Firestore released a simple bay (That we could chuck our own drives in), that mounted nicely to the camera, that would be handy and not too expensive I'd think.

Aaron
Old April 18th, 2005, 05:24 PM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
That would be a shame if they were working with the Firestore folks.
Well, I wouldn't cry yet. :-) Let's wait and see what Firestore comes up with.

Actually my ideal design for a camcorder HDD would be:
  • Firewire and USB I/F
  • Shock-absorbing case that mounts to bottom of camcorder, and can then be mounted on a tripod
  • Also mounts to cameraman's belt
  • Hot-swap Removable drive (while case is still mounted to camcorder)
  • Form-factor about like the Beachtek DXA-4P