HARD DRIVE Support: This is huge - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old April 19th, 2005, 03:19 PM   #61
Trustee

Ahh OK. I think I misread, I was reading it as "realtime" capture to HD.
That's still up in the air right?

Aaron
Old April 19th, 2005, 03:52 PM   #62
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Koolen
Ahh OK. I think I misread, I was reading it as "realtime" capture to HD.
That's still up in the air right?
There are conflicting reports on that. Noah talked to some engineers who apparently said that yes, it could capture directly to hard disk (unless I misunderstood his report). When I talked to the product manager, it was made clear that definitely it will be able to dub to hard disk, but as to whether it can capture directly to it, there are issues that need to be sorted out. They definitely know we want it, but it may not be practical to implement it. Fortunately for us, this is one of those areas where the long lead time before introduction may work in our (the consumer's) favor, as there's plenty of time to hopefully sort through the issues and come up with a rock-solid, reliable way to guarantee the footage.

Like someone else said, I'm sure there will be people who try to plug an ipod in there, and then when it only sort of works and mostly fails, they'll scream and cry (and I'm sure some will try to sue Panasonic over it). Even the FireStore only supports 40mbps sustained capture rates, so there are issues that need to be resolved. 3.5" drives can sustain the capture rates easily, but they're big and unwieldly and not designed for portability. So there are apparently a lot of issues, and some pretty smart engineers at work on the problem, so I'm hoping that it will indeed do direct capture to off-the-shelf USB hard disks, but at this time the reality is, that particular aspect can't be confirmed.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 07:30 PM   #63
Major Player

Why hasn't Panny considered using the new blue ray DVD burner for a record medium? 23 gigs (and some change) on a Disc would be a lot cheaper than the flash cards.

Could it be that- the blue ray DVD is Sony technology, and they aren't sharing?

Or the data rate isnt fast enough for the camera (although some newer cameras -IMX etc. are using it).

With Moore's law and all, it'll be a long wait until I can afford those flash cards.

Jeff Patnaude
Jeff Patnaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 07:32 PM   #64
Regular Crew

Just musing here, but if one of the issues is buffer overruns with slower hard drives, maybe they could utilize the the on-board SD card. The SD card is designed for storing scene files, but what if you loaded a 1GB or 2 GB SD card? It would be interesting if that SD memory could be used to buffer the datastream going to the hard drive. Of course the camera may already be hardwired so that's impossible, but that SD slot is sort of interesting to me.
Barry Schmetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 09:22 PM   #65
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Schmetter
Just musing here, but if one of the issues is buffer overruns with slower hard drives, maybe they could utilize the the on-board SD card. The SD card is designed for storing scene files, but what if you loaded a 1GB or 2 GB SD card? It would be interesting if that SD memory could be used to buffer the datastream going to the hard drive. Of course the camera may already be hardwired so that's impossible, but that SD slot is sort of interesting to me.
No reason it couldn't record/buffer to the P2 card and then stream to the HDD. Seems like a natural extension given some of the other pre-record and loop record features already announced. IMO, if Panasonic chooses to not allow recording of the video to HDD (only the ability to offload P2 data to a drive), then it won't be for any real technical reasons, but rather for business motivated reasons on their end to satisfy their P2 push and/or their licensed partners bringing companion products.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 09:26 PM   #66
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe
No reason it couldn't record/buffer to the P2 card and then stream to the HDD.
Then that just makes the P2 card an expensive buffer and defeats the purpose of wanting to record to cheap, off the shelf, HDD's.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 12:42 PM   #67
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Barker
Then that just makes the P2 card an expensive buffer and defeats the purpose of wanting to record to cheap, off the shelf, HDD's.
Not necessarily. It would still eliminate off-loading time, allow you to only use (read: buy) one P2 card, and helps allow you to use the camera in long take scenarios such as performances, weddings, or documentary shooting.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 12:50 PM   #68
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Bekas
- If you need a hand wih a project in the NY/NJ area, email me!
BTW Jesse, I tried to email/IM you here, but you've got your accept emails turned off in the user CP. I was actually going to offer you my help.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 01:14 PM   #69
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Barker
BTW Jesse, I tried to email/IM you here, but you've got your accept emails turned off in the user CP. I was actually going to offer you my help.
Yikes! I'll turn that on!

...my email is phatkodiak at aol.com

I'm free on the weekends right now, and my semester is over in 2 weeks (freeing up more days).
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 01:32 PM   #70
Major Player

I spoke to Jan at length yesterday about real time video streams over Firewire. She said they all would be present on Firewire and any capture app that supported DVCPROHD could capture the stream to hard disk. So, use of a laptop is a possibility. Focus Enhancements and Jan told me they were discussing a portable; however, the FS-4 drives don't have the horsepower yet to manage the data stream plus they would have to design the electronics to support the codec. Focus Enhancements is trying to gauge the market before they leap.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 02:02 PM   #71
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Bruner
Focus Enhancements is trying to gauge the market before they leap.
Which is why I've already emailed Focus Enhancements and told them my opinion... PLEASE SUPPORT IT!
Old April 27th, 2005, 11:53 PM   #72
Regular Crew

"Focus Enhancements is trying to gauge the market before they leap."

Now that is nutty to me. Support for the JVC would be worth doing some research as it might be a harder sell. But EVERYONE is talking about the HVX200. This does not require research, they should be all over it. Even loyal Vegas users, who I'm one of and can attest to how aggresively loyal we can be, are all up in arms b/c Sony owns Vegas now and it's not clear if DVCPro HD is ever going to happen for us. Scores of Vegas users are now ready to jump ship to FCP to be able to use this camera. Never thought I'd see the day, but b/c Vegas is so in bed with HDV...
Ashley Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 03:38 AM   #73
Trustee

Why not just chnage to Avid Xpress Pro instead of FCP? At least they wouldn't need to change plataforms.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 06:00 AM   #74
Inner Circle

i dont understand what the panic is all about.. :(

eventually units like this

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

will come with PCMCIA adapters to plug straight into a laptop and run as an external drive, these same plug (adapated PCMCIA) , could theoretically be used as a mobile storage device.. personally id prefer to record to P2, and xfer to a lapto.. at least id be able to see my clips and make sure that i didnt have a HDD failure.. all these mobile HDD units seem to be having issues..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #75
Tourist

PCMCIA to IDE

PCMCIA to IDE adapters do exist, I dont see any reason why we couldn't trick the camera into thinking that a 250 gig ide/ata hard drive is a P2 card, they're both simple storage devices, the camera has firmware which is automating the file writing process to the P2 card.
Ryan Marr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders