Ok now lets get some more audio details! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old April 18th, 2005, 12:47 PM   #1
Trustee

Ok now lets get some more audio details!

Everybody is excited about the video options with this camera but I am just as excited about the audio options.

4 channels of uncompressed audio. This is really great.

I have a Canon XL1 and I have always loved being able to record 4 channels of audio during a shoot with 4 mics. It did suck that it was only 32khz though.

Since this camera only has 2 XLR jacks do the RCA jacks double as the second set of audio input jacks or does the second set come from the onboard mic only?

Also how much control do we have over all 4 channels? Can we only adjust the first 2 or do we have control over all 4 channels? From the pics I have seen it looks like there is great 2 channel control but I didn't see very many options for channel 3 and 4.

Thanks for all the info guys.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 11:28 PM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet
Also how much control do we have over all 4 channels? Can we only adjust the first 2 or do we have control over all 4 channels? From the pics I have seen it looks like there is great 2 channel control but I didn't see very many options for channel 3 and 4.
They have confirmed that the onboard mic can be used to record to channels 3 & 4 (using ALC). It is still to be determined whether the line-ins may be used, or if some other method would provide other ways to access channels 3 & 4.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 06:22 AM   #3
Major Player

They would HAVE to utilize some kind of input for all four channels or else the whole idea of 4-channel audio will be pointless.

I haven't used the onboard mic of the DVX since I bought my first mic. ANYTHING will outperform the onboard mic... and I mean anything.

If it doesn't allow for 4 simultaneous inputs then I crapped my pants for nothing [when I read your "first look" at DVXuser].

Oh wait... the variable frame rates still justify shoving one pair of Hane's into the trash can...
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 11:17 PM   #4
Major Player

i hope someone would find the way to convert the on board mike to audio input by sergery:-)
Oleg Kaizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 11:36 PM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Kaizerman
i hope someone would find the way to convert the on board mike to audio input by sergery:-)
I've been asking for exactly that (well, not "surgery" per se...) but I'd like to see an option where we could remove that mic, and instead replace it with a plug-in module that has two more XLR inputs, for channels 3 & 4.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 03:01 AM   #6
New Boot

one XLR input can deliver two channel (basically stereo) signal - it means four channels on two inputs.
Nikolai Vavilov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 04:08 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai Vavilov
one XLR input can deliver two channel (basically stereo) signal - it means four channels on two inputs.
How does that work? So far, I have only ever connected one mic or line in channel per xlr connection on my xl1....
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 04:59 AM   #8
Trustee

If so, wouldn't it be unbalanced audio then?

Aaron
Old April 20th, 2005, 06:05 AM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy McKenzie
How does that work? So far, I have only ever connected one mic or line in channel per xlr connection on my xl1....
XLR jack has three pins - one for ground and two for stereo pair. Usually video equipment (especially microphones) use only one channel of stereo pair - but there is lot of stereo mics using both of them - for example http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wi...fa7/index.html . You can also easilly connect four different monophonic mics through audio mixer and then get 4ch output with pair of stereo XLR cables directly to camera.
Old April 20th, 2005, 06:14 AM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Koolen
If so, wouldn't it be unbalanced audio then?

Aaron
Yes, it would be unbalanced - but if you work with audio-engineer in production it will not be a problem. Nevertheless it is better to write two more channels directly to camera than use external DAT recorder, because both methods requires external mixing.
Old April 20th, 2005, 06:40 AM   #11
Major Player

XLR's for stereo are 5 pin and XLR's for mono are 3 pin. The 3 pins are hot/positive, negative, and ground...

Unless you can count 5 holes on each of the inputs 1 and 2 of the new cam... that isn't how it gets stereo.

3 pin XLRs are mono. The positive/negative and ground relationship is what makes the cable balanced... and mics can't share a ground.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 06:56 AM   #12
Major Player

16 bit stereo 2 channels to the cam.

3 pins mono ... that's what I thought.

As for multiple mics, certainly through a board first ... I can hook up 20 mics if I desired...
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 07:29 AM   #13
Regular Crew

haha this camera is going to be looking like medusa pretty soon. Imagine all of those extra xlr cables coming out of it... *sigh* I'm in love with this camera.
Daniel Skubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 07:38 AM   #14
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gettemeier
XLR's for stereo are 5 pin and XLR's for mono are 3 pin. The 3 pins are hot/positive, negative, and ground...
I agree, 5 pin XLRS inputs needed for balanced stereo, but you can get unbalanced stereo through 3-pin XLRM jacks. Look at stereo mic with 3-pin unbalanced output http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wi...3dc/index.html
Old April 22nd, 2005, 10:55 AM   #15
Major Player

4 Channel Adapter to be provided

According to the article on Toms Hardware, some type of adapter will be provided to allow input of all 4 channels. No details were provided.
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders