ONLY A HVX200 MOCKUP IS A DISAPPOINTMENT at NAB at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old April 19th, 2005, 10:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Aghvx200 Panasonic

AGHVX200 PANASONIC
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 11:10 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pappas
My friends at NAB held a plastic mock up. They were very disappointed in not being able to see footage from at-least a powered prototype.

There is even reviews out there on the HVX200. I can't see how one can really review a camera, when it's not a real camera. It appears that it doesn't even power up because the mockups that my friends were handed at the show were plastic mockups with no power.

Panasonic showed a mockup 13 months ago.

13 Months later they are still showing a non working plastic mockups. So the reviews out there are reviews of the brochure and press release material/marketing info, not a real working camera. You would think they would have used NAB to spring out at-least a working prototype.

Everyone one I know that went to NAB to see this camera believed based on the HVX hype all these weeks, and there was a ton of hype , that a real camera that powered up was going to be there.

If Panasonic and Jan had told everyone all these weeks that a real camera will not be at NAB and it's still only going to be a plastic mockup type camera like they showed 13 months ago. How many people would have stayed away from NAB vegas rush who's main reason going to NAB was to see this second coming?

I was one step from going to NAB just to see this camera, and thought second on that because most people will give good reviews of the image quality and as well footage will be posted like it was when the debut the DVX100.

Guess not!

Panasonic and Jan should have said at the minimum that there is not going to be a working model and only a plastic mockup at NAB.

What is the next big show this year for Panasonic to finally roll out a real camera?

Just my opinions................
Where did Panasonic and Jan say that they would be producing a working model?

Where did you see the mockup model 13 months ago?

Panasonic has been keeping things in the dark about this camera, leaking very little information out until now, and that was the reason for the press release. They released some information about the camera so people can know what to expect.

Panasonic is going to roll the camera out in the fourth quarter of this year, their website says "Fall of 2005", so that's promising. I'll just sit patiently and wait for information to be leaked over the next few months.

That's marketing. Tease the consumer, and let them get excited about the product. Had they released a working model with every bit of detal at NAB, there would have been less interest in the product for the next few months until the product is released. I don't blame them.
Daniel Skubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 11:42 AM   #3
Inner Circle

They probably wanted to counter JVC, which it seems, has a working prototype that people can play with. And JVC is claiming to be able to ship this summer. After reading the supposed review at dvxuser and now seeing it's just referring to a spec sheet, I can totally relate to Michaels reaction.

And shipping Q4 is fine, I'm sure Pana wants to make sure all the bugs get worked out before passing it around. Can't blame them, considering the claims they are making....but everyone really expected to see 'SOMETHING' that was actually shooting video. That how things were being presented.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 11:56 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carney
After reading the supposed review at dvxuser
Did DVXuser call that article a "review"? I didn't see that... however one of our members here posted a link to the article and he called it a review. The actual article is entitled "HVX-2000 Unleashed" and it has several disclaimers in it stating that their opinion is only based on the published specs.

You can tell that the authors are really excited about the HVX-200 by the whole tone of the article, and that's a good thing. But it seems any comparisions of this new product to the Z-1 or any other camera are very premature. It will be a number of months before that can really take place, after shipping models get into peoples' hands.

Now as far as people going to NAB just to see this camera.... um... well I'll stop short of stating the obvious... :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 12:30 PM   #5
Major Player

It is a pity that we have ot wait so long.. but I really think it will be WELL worth the wait!

I'm really hoping that they will have a working protoype (if not the REAL THING) at IBC (Amsterdam) in September.

- Mikko *can't wait to get his grubby hands all over it!*
Old April 19th, 2005, 12:41 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Panasonics AG-HVX200
Old April 19th, 2005, 12:58 PM   #7
Barry Wan Kenobi

Michael, please -- Panasonic made it quite clear that it would be a "non-working prototype". The VideoSystems preview said it was a non-working prototype. Nowhere did anyone say that it would be a working camera with footage.

They are following the exact same release pattern they did with the DVX. It was shown as a non-working prototype at NAB, then footage followed in the summer, followed by working prototypes shown at places like the WEVA expo, and then finished product in the stores in October (which is 4Q).

I expect the HVX will follow the same pattern. They were clear about the non-working prototype. If you didn't see that, that was an oversight, but you can't blame them because they did say it.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 01:12 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I hear you Barry, and I agree with you!
I am in ( F6 on the dial ) sssshhhhhhhhhh mode at 24p.

michael pappas
Old April 19th, 2005, 03:37 PM   #9
Major Player

What irritates me more than anything is that there hasn't been a real spec sheet out yet, only feature lists. There is a rediculous amount of hype about this thing (at every forum I visit on a regular basis) and no one has even seen footage from it. Talk about a lot of faith.
Steven White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 03:50 PM   #10
Regular Crew

If they were not able to get a working prototype to NAB, what are the chances they will have mass production availability in less than a year?

Have they done this kind of thing before?
Carl Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 03:53 PM   #11
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven White
What irritates me more than anything is that there hasn't been a real spec sheet out yet, only feature lists. There is a rediculous amount of hype about this thing (at every forum I visit on a regular basis) and no one has even seen footage from it. Talk about a lot of faith.
Again, there won't be "real specs" until the design is finished. Nobody will see footage until there's at least a working prototype. Those things are months away.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 04:23 PM   #12
Major Player

WARNING! FOR MATURE AUDIANCES ONLY.
If you're easily offended, skip this post.

<SOAPBOX>
I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone, but this question sounds like a spoiled little kid whining because he just found out Santa Claus isn't for real.

All of you who are whining about this, ask yourself this question:
Would you rather that Panasonic kept everyone completely in the dark until they were ready to ship the camera?

This complaint is just one more example of today's instant gratification society -- you want everything, and you want it yesterday. Patience, we all need to learn patience.

The release of any new product, regardless of manufacturer, is always preceded by hype and promotion. That's the nature of our free-market economy. Surely by now (since you're now an adult, right?) you've learned not to believe everything you read, see, or hear, until you get the product in your hands and test it for yourself.
</SOAPBOX>

So let's enjoy the potential of this wonderful new product -- offering capabilities for $6K than only last week would have cost $60K or more!

And now we return to our regularly scheduled program. :-)
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 04:32 PM   #13
Major Player

Would you rather that Panasonic kept everyone completely in the dark until they were ready to ship the camera?

Actually, yes I would. I'm interested in reading facts and seeing results, not marketing hype and speculation... and especially not the lathering of brand-loyal fanboys (though thankfully not on this forum). Your request for patience could equally be applied to companies by saying "wait until you have something real to show before announcing it." Blaming only consumers for jumping the gun with enthusiasm neglects the source of the problem.

In this regard, I think the mindset of a child is much preferred. Wouldn't it be nice to trust everything you read? Wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to be so bloody cynical? I sure think so.
Steven White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 05:09 PM   #14
Trustee

Agreed, they should wait until they have something to show. They won't and it makes sense to them cause then they can test the reaction and maybe tweak a few things before final release, which in the long run is better for us, but in the short term, frustrating.

Aaron
Old April 19th, 2005, 05:22 PM   #15
Major Player

I entirely agree.

A "non working prototype" is not a prototype. It's a box.

I, for one, (and fair play, it may well have been clearly stated but that didn't reach my ears) expected something which actually shot some video to be presented.

Honestly, what's the point of showing someone what a camera's going to *look* like?!?? There's one thing you are absolutely guaranteed not to see in shot - the camera!!

Seriously though, it's interesting to see what the form factor wil be like and what buttons are present indicates the kind of functionality we can expect - but it's not really presenting any kind of product - a few images on the web would tell us as much...
Dominic Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders