DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   HVX on BH Photo (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/43463-hvx-bh-photo.html)

Andreas Fernbrant April 23rd, 2005 05:59 PM

HVX on BH Photo

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=381410&is=REG

Link to B H Photo - $9995 - it has to be with a lot of P2 Cards I hope?

Chris Hurd April 23rd, 2005 06:17 PM

That would be with two 8GB cards. Can't believe they're taking pre-orders this early!

Peter Jefferson April 24th, 2005 01:26 AM

I can, hell this thing is gonna be HUGE!!!!!!

Barry Gribble April 24th, 2005 03:54 AM

They aren't taking pre-orders... just "Notify me when..." notes. My guess is that they put the $9995 number on when the price was listed as <$10,000 and they haven't updated it based on the NAB announcement.

Jan Crittenden Livingston April 24th, 2005 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Gribble
They aren't taking pre-orders... just "Notify me when..." notes. My guess is that they put the $9995 number on when the price was listed as <$10,000 and they haven't updated it based on the NAB announcement.

True, but then it is Passover. I am a little surprised that they made sure to have something up before they left, which was before NAB. They are a marketing machine, I will give them that.

Best,

Jan

David Mintzer April 24th, 2005 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
I can, hell this thing is gonna be HUGE!!!!!!

Huge? I doubt it until memory cards come way down in price. For an indie documentary producer 16 minutes aint going to do it. It might work for people with a decent budget who are doing fiction films where they can constantly download the cards to their harddrives.

Kurth Bousman April 24th, 2005 01:25 PM

Jan - this looks like you guys had more cards in your hand than you were showing- You had to have had ready more than a nonworking model prototype at nab, if you're delivering a product in sept. Why didn't you show it ? From being a prototype building engineer for 9 years , this sounds like there's a problem - I hate to be the fly in the ointment. Just one of those purely intuitive guesses and can be filed accordingly. Otherwise , it's a beautiful camera and if it does what it says , even if it's a little late , you'll steal the market for the next two years , minimum - worth it's price , even at 10k. Kurth

Daniel Broadway April 24th, 2005 02:50 PM

How many minutes of 1080 24p can you get with 2 8GB cards?

Barry Green April 24th, 2005 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurth Bousman
Jan - this looks like you guys had more cards in your hand than you were showing- You had to have had ready more than a nonworking model prototype at nab, if you're delivering a product in sept.

They're following the exact same release schedule as they did for the DVX100. I'm sure somewhere deep in the bowels of Panasonic there's some sort of engineering mule that may be even partly functional, but until it's ready to show, they won't show it. They'll unveil footage as soon as it's available, which will probably be in summer, then they'll show the camera at various trade shows like DV Expo and WEVA and wherever else happens to coincide with when the camera's ready, and then they'll have it in the stores in 4Q (which won't be September, it'll be October at the earliest, and perhaps as late as Dec. 31).

They did this before, with the DVX, and the camera was everything they promised it to be and a huge hit.

Barry Green April 24th, 2005 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Broadway
How many minutes of 1080 24p can you get with 2 8GB cards?

16 minutes, maybe a little more.

Dan Euritt April 24th, 2005 04:16 PM

we should be grateful for the early heads-up on this camera, instead of dissing the delivery time... how would you feel if you got suckered into buying hdv, because you didn't know what was coming down the road from panasonic?

i don't care if it takes a full year to deliver this camera... and if i need more recording time, i'll just wait until a hard drive solution is ready.

Laurence Maher April 24th, 2005 10:28 PM

Now wait a minute,

The B&H thing says that it records to HDV?

Luis Caffesse April 24th, 2005 10:56 PM

That's what it says, but they're wrong.
This camera will not record HDV.

A lot of people seem to be assuming that it's an HDV camera,

I guess it's kind of hard to wrap your head around DVCProHD 1080 & 720p for under 10K.

David Mintzer April 24th, 2005 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luis Caffesse
That's what it says, but they're wrong.
This camera will not record HDV.

A lot of people seem to be assuming that it's an HDV camera,

I guess it's kind of hard to wrap your head around DVCProHD 1080 & 720p for under 10K.

No, thats easy to wrap my head around--its the storage costs that is difficult to wrap ones head around.

Greg Harris April 25th, 2005 05:45 AM

what the hell kind of price is that. That's INSANE!!!!! How do you guys offord that, you must BANKKKKKKKKKK from doing whatever you do. Oh, and it's pointless without HD DVD burners ect......