Move this whole Panny forum? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old May 12th, 2005, 09:00 AM   #16
Contributor

Maybe you could categorize it into all the 1/3" chip cameras that record to a format with better resolution than DV. I bet the Germans have one of those long words beginning with weltan... that would cover that. I know that nobody likes the word "prosumer." I hate it myself. But, all these cameras are different from the traditional professional cameras, regardless of the format they use.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2005, 09:09 AM   #17
Major Player

My 2¢

Not that I care, but the solution seems fairly simple to me.

I'd just rename the High Definition HDV: The Next Wave as something like Affordable High Definition: The Next Wave and then simply have the HDV Acquisition Equipment become the Affordable HD Acquisition Equipment and the HDV Editing Solutions can become simply Affordable HD Editing Solutions. Throw the Panny forum under the newly christened Affordable HD Acquisition Equipment heading and call it a day.

That should keep Panny happy and all the people who seem to want it moved so bad...

But what do I know right?
Old May 12th, 2005, 11:49 AM   #18
Contributor

Hey--good one: Affordable High Def. That encompasses it all. HDV is one, DVCPRO HD is another, editing another, etc. I like it.
Not, as you say, that it really matters, but it's spring and rendering times are long and everybody needs something to talk about.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2005, 04:15 PM   #19
Major Player

"Prosumer" or "Cheapro" or whatever you call it, the HVX200 is one of those products that blurs the definition between a professional-only product and one the consumer can afford. Yes, only affluent consumers can afford this camcorder, but, there will be many that will buy it. The HDV cams have paved the way for a higher quality codec like DVCPROHD. I believe that HDV will eventually make its way into true "consumer" products and DVCPROHD will drift down into the "prosumer" category. BTW, Chris, I don't care where you put it. :-)
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 02:24 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett Allen
But my biggest worry is what's going to happen when nobody uses DV anymore? Can we still come here and visit?
Well, I honestly dont think thats going to happen for a long time, if ever....
What would be next, short of developing as a race to the point that we can project our thoughts as movies and no longer need cameras and editing systems and delivery. DV simply means Digital Video. Don't forget that there is a distinction between DV and miniDV. One is a specific format, and the other is a basic descriptive for the general technology. For instance, all VHS is analog, but not all analog is VHS. So, now that not many people are using VHS any more, that only speaks for a relatively small portion of general analog use. I'm of course picking a nit too, and it's not really directed at you, Rhett, just a general statement for the purpose of a wee bit of conversational input, and something of a subtle suggestion to Chris to never change the name of DVinfo.net, as there is really no need......digital 8, miniDV, HDV, HD, UHD, BTSUDWHD*, its all DV. Or am I wrong?

*Big Time Super Ultra Dooley Whopper High Definition.....projected future format...
Daniel Runyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 06:27 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Runyon
*Big Time Super Ultra Dooley Whopper High Definition.....projected future format...
Woo Hoo I made the new format name!!!
Old May 13th, 2005, 11:06 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dooley
Woo Hoo I made the new format name!!!
ha-ha-ha-ha! I like the new name! Does it use 6 chips instead of 3? 3 for color and 3 for spatial differentiation (as in 3D)? I want one of those!

You are correct Daniel, I guess it's all "DV" when you get down to it. I'm going to go register the domain "bigtimesuperultradooleywhopperhighdefinition.net" now, just in case, so we can have a forum in the future! :) just be sure to bookmark it because it's not so easy to type repeatedly;)
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:49 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett Allen
I'm going to go register the domain "bigtimesuperultradooleywhopperhighdefinition.net" now, just in case, so we can have a forum in the future! :)
Dont forget to stick "info" on the end of it, Rhett! Hope you havent already wasted the reg fee!

BTW, that whole thing (BTSUDWHD) should be said w/ the voice of Jerry Clower. If you don't know who he is......you're a Yankee. And if you dont know who he was, yet you were born in The South.....your parents probably weren't! Tell me if I'm wrong or right......
Daniel Runyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 09:01 PM   #24
Major Player

Yee Ha, guys. I be done gotta told ya 5-4 times, I think we gotta reign this thing in. Silliness aside, this cam isn't going to be real until late this year. Maybe it is time to give the hype a rest.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 11:58 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Actually, BTSUDWHD exists! it's called UHDV (Ultra High-(Definition)Vision) and developed by NHK for something like Digital IMAX at about 33 megapixels @ 60p!

Below is the Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UHDV
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 09:57 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Well, let's just say that Panasonic doesn't appreciate comparisons with HDV.
Sure they do -- as long as the HVX comes out on top!
Lawrence Bansbach is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders