2 key questions about HVX200 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old May 26th, 2005, 09:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

can you record HD onto tape with HVX200???

Hello everyone,

[1] Does anyone know if the HVX200 has a "shot transition" feature like the Sony FX1 or Z1U???

[2] Also, I've been reading on the boards that the Panasonic HVX200 can only record in HD on the PS2 cards. Did I hear right??? I've been reading this throughout the discussion "HVX200 and PS2: it's the revolution".

Anxiously awaiting feedback.

- Nicholas

Last edited by Nicholas Natteau; May 26th, 2005 at 01:10 PM. Reason: wanted to change title description
Nicholas Natteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2005, 10:53 AM   #2
Contributor

From what I've read, it is true that you only get HD onto the P2 cards. I don't know about the shot transition.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2005, 02:14 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Nicholas,

I'm unaware of any feature similar to Sony's "shot transition" but remember the camera isn't out yet and won't be for several more months. There's a lot of forthcoming info we haven't heard about yet regarding this camera.

And Bill is right, high definition is recorded only to the cards. By the way, these are not "PS2" cards; they're simply called P2 cards (isn't PS2 a Sony thing?)

The tape transport built in to the HVX200 will record standard DV only. Remember this is a sub-$10,000 camera. For it to record high definition on tape, it would need a DVCPRO HD tape transport. That little item alone is about $16,000 all by itself. So if this camera had an HD tape transport, it wouldn't be a sub-$10,000 item anymore, would it. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2005, 05:37 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
isn't PS2 a Sony thing?
Originally it was an "IBM thing".... ;-)

http://www.can.ibm.com/helpware/8525.html
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2005, 02:18 AM   #5
Major Player

I believe that you will be able to capture HD output to hard drive using any of following approaches:

1. Capture via firewire to NLE's that support DVCPRO-HD, like FCP-HD and Avid Express HD.
2. Capture via firewire using the forthcoming HD Rack.
3. Capture using the forthcoming FireStore HD.

Of course, #2 and #3 have not been released yet, but neither has the HVX200/P2 system. :-)

And, there may be other options by the time the HVX200 ships.
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 05:31 PM   #6
Major Player

I hope so Pete - do you know of any info from Panasonic to confirm any or all of these options (or any info from the DV Rack guys - I know HDV support is being released)? Do we know that it will output the DVCProHD signal live through firewire at all?

I love the look of these cameras (just amazing on paper for the money), but P2 only HD would be a dealbreaker, so I'm trying to keep my ear as low to the ground as possible as regards D2D recording of some kind...
Dominic Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 04:37 AM   #7
Barry Wan Kenobi

Yes, everything Pete said is confirmed -- live firewire streaming is definitely included. You could also capture to tape (through the AJ-HD1200A deck), and Serious Magic is already talking with Panasonic to find a way to make DV Rack compatible with DVCPRO-HD.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 07:18 AM   #8
Major Player

Woo-hoo!!!

Thanks Pete and Barry. Right. Well, it looks like my new Z1 has to get it's heads rolling to build up cash for this little beauty as our second HD camera for next year.

Job's a good'un! :)
Dominic Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders