Pal 1440? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old June 1st, 2005, 11:54 AM   #16
Major Player

Bah. This is just semantics now. The order and the methods ARE important. Ultimately, if you carry "scaling = compression" to it's logical conclusion, you can state that scaled SD video = HD... which networks actually do.

-Steve
Steven White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 12:06 PM   #17
RED Problem Solver

Steven, you're spot on right!

I guess what I'm getting at is that if you feed 1080i60 1920x1080 4:2:2 into a DVCproHD tape deck, and then play it back out over SDI, what you get is 1920x1080 4:2:2, but it looks worse as it's been compressed. It's only internally that the tape has the HD video as a non-square pixel resolution, but if you didn't know what was going onside the deck, you'd only ever see square pixel HD video.

As for broadcasters scaling SD to HD and calling it HD, yet, it happens :-(

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders