DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   new storage will kill p2 ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/46017-new-storage-will-kill-p2.html)

Robert Mann Z. June 10th, 2005 09:51 AM

new storage will kill p2 ?

Holographic Versatile Card is now a closer reality, with a release date of next year, a data rate of 3x blue ray, and 30 gigs per card i see this as the future, best part is those 30gig cards will cost about a dollar, with drives selling for $2,000...certainly makes flash memory look outdated and overly expensive

when this comes out we all win, and i get a lot of much needed storage space back in my office...enjoy

http://www.popgadget.net/2005/06/hol...tile-card.html

Mathieu Ghekiere June 10th, 2005 11:16 AM

If this is true, it still should be compatible with the camera of panasonic. But that could be a good thing for panasonic, because I think more people would buy the camera if the expenses of the storage would get so much cheaper.h

Radek Svoboda June 10th, 2005 01:35 PM

This thing is amazing. Problem is that there is no disc to spin. There must be mechanism to spin or move around surface of card. That makes drive expensive and cards small. I can see something like that with spinning disc become future of storage.

Radek

Robert Mann Z. June 10th, 2005 02:16 PM

don't confuse an HVD (Holographic Versatile Discs 200gb) with HVC (Holographic Versatile Card 30gb), the HVD spins the HVC does not, a single optical head moves back n forth to expose the holograph...

Daniel Hollister June 24th, 2005 04:50 AM

You know, everyone's been excited about this thing, but this is what went through my head when I saw it: How easy is it to lose or BREAK those little cards? ;)

Aaron Shaw June 24th, 2005 02:48 PM

Shouldn't be any more difficult than losing or breaking a DV tape :)

Kevin Dooley June 24th, 2005 03:35 PM

Or a P2 card...

Joe Carney June 25th, 2005 03:24 AM

If the disk versions take off, it will revolutionize HD editing. 1 gigabyte per second is more than enough to handle uncompressed 1080p.

It's a good time to be alive and into video. If only they had this stuff when I was young.

Of course I remember when I had to walk 5 miles to school through 3 foot of snow wearing sneakers and a wind breaker.

Steven White June 25th, 2005 06:13 AM

Quote:

There must be mechanism to spin or move around surface of card. That makes drive expensive and cards small
Nah. Scan the laser beam with a mirror driven by a piezoelectric - simple stuff. Only one moving part (the mirror), and no need to make the media hold up to high rotational speeds.

-Steve

Dan Eschenfelder July 11th, 2005 01:31 PM

Oh my god!!! Could this work with the P2 camera? Could Panasonic create a newer version of the P2 camera to include this record deck, or one similar?

I new memory cards would come down in price, but didn't think I would see the day 30GB cards would be offered up for a buck a piece!!! Much less this soon!

Does anyone know more about these cards? How durrable are they? How many passes can they handle? (Not that that should matter... at a $1 they are disposable). That's wierd even saying that... "disposable HD." Ha Ha, but it feels good saying it.

Come on Pany... include this technology into your next version of your P2!!!

Robert Rock August 7th, 2005 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Carney
Of course I remember when I had to walk 5 miles to school through 3 foot of snow wearing sneakers and a wind breaker.

I know what you mean. I remember when "stay outta the light" wasn't just a line from Poltergeist. I said it almost daily over the headsets. Remember Newvicon and Plumicon Tubes.

Rob

Charles Papert August 7th, 2005 02:09 PM

Please don't remind me--hard to feel nostalgic about those, although there was something about the look from a great Plumbicon camera--the Ike HL79 had a unique look (that Cars video "You Might Think" that still makes the rounds in 80's retrospectives).

My early days as a Steadicam operator was a constant struggle with tube technology--standing around wearing the rig, one tends to not pay attention to exactly where it might be pointing. And "rest position" with a full-size rig meant hoisting the post up onto the shoulder, where the camera ended up staring up at the ceiling. Imagine what I'd hear over the headsets on a multi-camera shoot with an overhead grid all day long; yup, that Poltergeist mantra!

Apropos to this thread--I too look forward to the death of tape as a capture medium.