What's the fair market value for this HVX package? A little advice needed... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old October 9th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #1
Major Player

What's the fair market value for this HVX package? A little advice needed...

Hi all,

I've been trying to sell my HVX200 package, with little success - probably due to the current economic state of things. Before I go into another round of re-listing, I was hoping to get some opinions on the fair market price for this package:

- HVX200P Body
- Zacuto heavy load support
- (2) 8GB P2 Cards
- (4) Batteries
- Panasonic Charger / AC Adapter
- Lenmar Mach Fusion fast charger w/ AC and cigar plug
- Camera Remote
- Schneider / B+W UV Haze filter 82mm
- D4-to-component HD cable (Canon brand)
- Bebob Foxi Remote Focus/Iris controller
- Bebob Zoe Remote zoom control
- 16X9 Brand "Grab-and-Shoot" Bag (made by Petrol)
- Barry's Book

Tape head has about 20 hours, 800 total system hours, missing the rubber port cover for the remote jacks, but otherwise in very good condition, with a clean lens and filter. I've been asking $5000 obo... too high? What's a fair price on the camera + cards + batteries only?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old October 9th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Matt:

These days, when selling used gear, for the most accessories don't matter, unless you happen across an individual who knows exactly what those accessories are, what they cost and really wants them. I would always sell a camera by itself with one battery and one P2 card. Sell all of the other stuff on its own. More hassle but you will recoup a lot more of your money back by doing it that way.

Used HVX200s are getting $1,750,00 or lower, you are about a year late from when the prices were healthy (I sold mine about a year ago for $3,800.00 with one battery and an 8GB P2 card). The HVX is now an antique and my 170 is well on its way since you can buy a new HPX300 for around $7,200.00 which is a much more sophisticated and capable camera. Plus there are all of the people who are buying 7Ds and 5D MKIIs as well. Oh yeah, and the economy is STILL tanking, I don't care what Geithner is saying. Money is tight, people are still losing their jobs and buying cameras is a luxury except for the few who earn their living with low end cameras like these.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Wise words. Thanks Dan.
Old October 10th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #4
Major Player

I tend to agree. From my point of view I'd be keen on all the bits and pieces as I have a camera and no extras. Once the cam purchase is out of the way I'll be buying extras and even having the option of buying a whole used "extras" kit like rods, matte box, follow focus etc would be attractive to me.
Damian Heffernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 02:00 AM   #5
Major Player

I just bought an HVX200. Maybe I overpaid. Just under $3100 with 2 4gb cards and a couple of batteries. Has less than 200 operational hours from studio use only though. Pretty crisp condition. It's what I'm used to and so I'll use it a few months until RED actually released those 2/3" Scarlets.

But overall, it seems like you can't expect to get more than about $3000 for a camera with as many hours as yours. Plus, all those accessories, yes, I think you're looking for a needle in a haystack for someone to recognize that as a deal.

Someone can go get a brand new HVX200A or HPX170 for about $5000, and that probably comes with a 16gb card.
Ryan Farnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Ryan:

You have to learn how to price shop more, that is way too high of a price. I have seen several recently in the $1750.00 to $2000.00 including an 8GB P2 card and a battery.

Operational hours on HVXs mean nothing, only tape head hours since the P2 system has no moving parts.

Dan
Old October 18th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #7
Major Player

Mind sharing some links of where I could fetch those kinds of prices? I got mine on eBay.

Just curious if you can share.

And as far as no moving parts...I consider the camera a "moving part" when it has been used for almost 1,000 hours. It is not sitting in a box.

Ryan
Old October 18th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I think you're over priced

I just bought this same cam off of ebay used but it was packaged with:

1. Chrosziel Mattebox and follow focus system
2. (2)-4gig P2 cards
3. Focus Enhancement 100 GB firestore Hard Drive
4. (2) Camera Batteries
5. (1) Camera Battery Charger
6. (1) Focus 100 Battery
7. RGB monitor Cables
8. Camera AC cable
9. 1 Camera Remote Control
10. Mini DV tapes
11. All Power Cables for camera and hard drive
12. P2 Store

all for $4,000.
Ryan Kincaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 11:12 PM   #9
Better than Halle Berry

Holy crap- if that stuff was all in good working order and not stolen, you got an amazing deal...

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Hi Ryan:

As a tip, the best time to by older used technology is when hot new technology hits the market and the people who own what you want to buy become eager to dump it to buy the new technology. I personally am wary of buying anything over a few hundred dollars on Ebay, there are just too many scam artists on there for it to be reliable anymore.

You do have to be quick, when you see HVXs posted this cheaply, they go very quickly. I put in a bid on one at $1,900.00 a few weeks ago and the guy had sold it just a few minutes before for $1,750.00. He had it listed at $1,995.00 OBO.

Its all about scouring the different sources religiously every day and being prepared to act instantly when you find one. Also, believe ot or not, Craigslist has had a few go really cheaply in LA recently too. Seems like Fall is not the hot time to buy used gear, Summer and Spring do seem to be. Also, right after NAB in April is always good because everyone has seen the new gear that they are convinced that they must have so the urge to dump their current gear becomes large.

Dan
Old October 19th, 2009, 09:27 AM   #11
Major Player

Cool. Thanks for the info. I'll have to bite the bullet this time and hopefully spend more time before purchasing next time.

I definitely would have gone with a cheaper HVX200 in the $2,000 range...but realizing that the HPX170 is going new from B&H for $4300. Ouch.

Live and learn.
Old October 19th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I did a shoot last weekend with my 170 mixed with two HVX200s. As much as I liked the 200, I had to admit that my 170 has a much better image overall. It was very noticeable to anyone looking at the monitors side by side. It would be the same with the HPX300, when you shoot with the 300 side by side with the 170, it makes the 170 look not so great. I guess it is all relative.

Dan
Old October 20th, 2009, 05:15 AM   #13
Major Player

Oh the pain. :|
Ryan Farnes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders