Which Lens for HPX500 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old October 17th, 2009, 08:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Which Lens for HPX500

Hey, I am pretty new to this forum though I have been a lurker for sometime. I am looking into getting a Pani HPX500 and would like some suggestions on lenses. I have heard that I could use a SD lens, but not sure which ones would work best. If anyone with some experience in this matter could help shed some light on this for me I would be very grateful.
Aaron Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #2
Major Player

If you want to film in SD, you could use a SD lens for HPX500. However, using a SD lens for filiming HD - is like having a Porsche with a Volkwagon engine inside. The SD lens won't be capture details HD demands. Don't your HPX500 comes with a HD lens already?
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I don't actually have the camera yet, but I found some OK deals without a lens. Then there are 4 different HD lenses and one SD lens that I can add through various people. Here is a quick list of possible lenses I could possibly get my hands on. I don't know what any of it means. went here FUJIFILM USA FUJINON |, but it really isn't much help.

- Fujinon A20x8BEVM with 2x Extender
- Fujinon A17x7.8BERM-M28C with 2x Extender
- Fujinon A8x5.5
- Fujinon XA17x7.6 CAC Zoom Lens w/o 2x Extender

I couldn't even find these lenses anywhere on Fujinon's website. If you could illuminate me as to what a decent HD lens would be I would be grateful.
Old November 12th, 2009, 08:18 AM   #4
Regular Crew

SD vs HD

OK, I got a lot of conflicting views so I am going to do a few tests and post the result. I did get the camera and have both the Fujinon lens bundled with the camera as well as a SD lens of my old Beta SP cam. I did some quick tests and they look comparible. Keep in mind these will be anything but scientific. I just going to post examples of footage and let you decide.
Old November 12th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Some say that a good SD lens resolves enough for the chip the HPX500 comes with, i was lucky enough to get a Canon KJ16x7.7 with a good deal with my HPX500.

You might want to take a look here:
https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro...cac_note_e.htm

I would go with the XA17 lens you listed as it has the CAC function enabled, granted it's the same lens as the one in the Pana list above.
Christian Magnussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 09:32 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I use a Fujinon SD lens with my HPX 500 with fantastic results. Visit my website, view the video on the homepage and tell me what you think.

Paul Hudson
Lizardlandvideo.com
Phoenix Video Production
Paul Hudson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders