DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Hard Drive Support Update (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/46635-hard-drive-support-update.html)

Darrell Essex June 22nd, 2005 04:53 PM

Hard Drive Support Update

in case anyone is interested, i just recieved this email from JIM Olson at Firestore:

Hello Darrell,
we are making a FS-4 upgrade that will use HDV output from any camera
that has that output option. I am not aware of any imminent HD
recording projects at this time.

Thanks,
Support

firstcinemapictures7@yahoo.com wrote:

>Request:
>i heard that your company is developing a harddisk system that will
record high def from panasonic's HVX
>200 camera. will this record from the component out? also, will it be
able to record from the component
>out on the sony hvr-z1 uncompressed?
>thanks,
>Darrell Essex
>FIRST CINEMA PICTURES

Sergio Perez June 23rd, 2005 11:08 PM

Hmmmm, not good news... Maybe the whole camera is delayed, and the development is postponed...DAMN, I needed the camera for coverage of a MAJOR event here in November... I'll get a A1 for backup camera, just to have HD footage of it, then...

On a side note, just to know, how much for 2 8 gig p2 cards? This will get me how much in therms of DVCPRO HD and DVCPRO 50?

Chris Hurd June 24th, 2005 06:51 AM

Quote:

we are making a FS-4 upgrade that will use HDV output from any camera that has that output option.
Except... the Panasonic HVX200 is *not* HDV. So I doubt Jim's statement applies to it. The HVX200 is DVCPROHD, an entirely different format than HDV.

Barry Green June 24th, 2005 07:24 AM

Another key word is "imminent". The HVX is probably still six months away. There's lots of time for Firestore to develop their DVCPRO-HD-compatible unit...

Nate Ford June 24th, 2005 09:08 AM

i think that was the point, chris. his statement that he knew of nothing happening for hd would appear to be bad news for prospective hvx buyers.

on the p2 question, i think any pricing would just be speculative. however, as for capacity, it's simple math. at 1080i or 720/60p, it's a gig a minute, so you'd get 16 minutes. dvcpro50 is around 2 minutes/gig.

R Geoff Baker June 24th, 2005 12:15 PM

[QUOTE=Nate Ford]i think that was the point, chris. his statement that he knew of nothing happening for hd would appear to be bad news for prospective hvx buyers.QUOTE]

I fear it points more to confusion on his part, as Panasonic has described a relationship with Focus for this very purpose.

Either he mis-spoke, thinking that the HVX could be described as an HDV product, or he is not in the loop ... or Panasonic has been misinformed on Focus's commitment to this product.

(I lean to 'mis-spoke')

Cheers,
GB