What is a good Mid Range Tripod for Hpx300? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old November 16th, 2009, 11:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What is a good Mid Range Tripod for Hpx300?

Anyone have a suggestion for a Tripod for the HPX300 for around $1.000.00?
Thank you
Art
Art White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Art:

Sad to say, $1,000.00 is consumer level, not pro level for a mid size and weight camera like the HPX300.

I have had great results with my Sachtler DV-6SB with Miller Solo DV carbon legs, but if I loaded up the 300 with matte box, follow focus and Anton Bauer batteries, it would be too much. And my Sachtler setup is a cheap one, about $3,000.00.

All you will get for under $1,000.00 is a (cough, cough), Bogen or perhaps a Libec (better). But you would be probably very close to or over weight capacity and neither head will really give you smooth, simultaneous tilt/pans with no backlash like a Sachtler, O'Connor, Vinten or Panther head will.

Tripods are old school, you still totally get what you pay for. For a fine tool like the HPX300, my advice is to plan for around $3,000.00 to $4,000.00 to do it justice unless you hunt out something used.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 12:43 AM   #3
Trustee

I am using two Libec H50 heads with my 301, they are OK but only a 75mm head but the fluid and balance is very good.

THe current H55 model should be OK too.
Old November 17th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art White View Post
Anyone have a suggestion for a Tripod for the HPX300 for around $1.000.00?
Thank you
Art
I found my Sachtler DV12 with ENG 2 CF sticks for around 3000.00. Look around there are deals and a good set of sticks is so worth it.
Tom Chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 06:41 AM   #5
Regular Crew

All good suggestions. Thank you. I just ordered a AG HPX300 and a 170. I was forced to spend the majority of my broke budget on the cameras but with the rebate and internet special, now was the time.

Doesn't look like I will be happy with anything under $3,000.00, which I'll have to wait for a bit.

Dan, I see in your article your Sachtler and Miller combo worked for you. I don't have any applications for a Matte box yet but I should make my purchase as a forward thinker.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Art
Old November 18th, 2009, 09:01 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Good luck Art. You have my dream setup. I own the 170 and aspire to buy a 300 but until money and projects loosen up, it will be just a dream. 300 for interviews and higher end projects, 170 for red carpets, travel, etc. The perfect pair and the footage between them cuts pretty well.

Buying a good tripod is painful because it is a lot of money but seriously, once you have one, you will wonder how you ever got along without one. FWIW, a good tripod will also outlive several cameras so if you amortize the cost over the number of years of service it will give you, you will find that a good tripod is actually cheap, it just requires some up front pain in your wallet. My Sachtler is on camera number three and still looks basically brand new even though I have used it a LOT over the past three years.

Enjoy your new cams!

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 09:17 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Dan,
Thank you. It is a dream set up and the ONLY reason I went with that is because you mention both in your article. I'm brand new to HD. I've owned SD cameras for a few years and you are right. Even the cheap tripods outlast my cameras. I'll keep you informed. As it is right now, it's a great way to loose weight. Pay for cameras and starve!

Art
Old November 18th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #8
New Boot

I use a Gitzo combo (about $2000).. Very smooth fluid head (best one I've run across).. Works Great!

Gitzo G-1380 Video Fluid Head
Gitzo GT3541XLS Systematic 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs
Gitzo GS5320V75 75mm Bowl Adapter
Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging MBAG90P 35.4" Tripod Bag
Thomas Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 07:19 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I use to own the Gitzo G-1380 and Carbon legs. Used it with my EX1 for over a year and it is by far the best tripod for the price. Having owned a Miller 55 with carbon sticks, except for the capacity on the Miller I liked the Gitzo better

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders