what the heck? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old December 16th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #1
Major Player

what the heck?

from today's video..
Attached Thumbnails
what the heck?-pixelied-glitch-log-capture.tiff  
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

Yep, that happens sometimes when you transfer on a Mac, especially if you are transferring to an external firewire hard disk and you haven't write-protected your P2 cards.

For years we've been recommending that people not just do a drag 'n' drop of the card contents, or to do a log & transfer from the cards directly; because this is the kind of thing that can happen. Instead, copy the footage to your hard disk using a data-verified copy, such as provided by P2CMS or by ShotPut Pro.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 04:50 AM   #3
Major Player

That is my exact workflow. Thx for the heads up.
Old December 21st, 2009, 11:34 AM   #4
Major Player

well, still getting glitches/pixelization. Not as often. Have transferred with write protected cards using both P2CM and P2 log pro. Do I have corrupted cards?
Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:28 AM   #5
New Boot

I remember Shane Ross saying that a dirty card connection could bring pixelation.
I have seen few pixels (but not that many) from a card which ı know has been several time pull off while recording. Cleaning the connection get rid of the problem. Colin.
Colin Mounier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:51 AM   #6
Major Player

Defiantly worth a shot.
Long Qtip and alcohol like the old days? :)
Old December 22nd, 2009, 01:34 PM   #7
Trustee

Hey Gary have you played the footage back on the camera to see if there is a problem with it? If it is recorded incorrectly maybe you are seeing something from the head of the camera and not a problem in the datastream per se. Just a thought
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 03:09 PM   #8
New Boot

They just dust-off the card and the PCMCIA slot of the laptop, ı do not know for the Qtip,
ı am shy! As Daniel says, do a "play-back" in the camera first. We had the problem with just one card, it was easy tolin.
Colin Mounier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 07:01 PM   #9
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Chavez View Post
Have transferred with write protected cards using both P2CM and P2 log pro. Do I have corrupted cards?
Play the footage back in-camera. If there's no corruption (which I pretty much absolutely guarantee you, there won't be) then there's nothing wrong with the cards.

Be sure you're doing a data-verified copy, where the program copies the files over, then reads them back and compares them to the cards. I am almost certain the corruption is occurring when you're copying the data to the Mac.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 09:34 AM   #10
Major Player

I definitely have heard of corruption issues when finder-copying to Mac. That is why I strongly recommend ShotPut Pro which will copy as well as verify.

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 11:22 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Totally off topic, but Ned, you are in NJ now? When did you leave the Lone Star State?

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #12
Go Go Godzilla

While this won't work for every shooting situation because of time constraints, don't forget about using HOST mode to transfer the P2 card contents over to a HDD directly. (read up on this in the manual and Barry's HVX book).

In HOST mode you're simply using the camera as the HDD controller and transferring directly from camera to HDD with no software or intermediary device in between. Then just connect that same drive to your system for copy/importing into your NLE of choice. All you need is an external FW hard-disk with it's own power supply (we always use inverters in the field from a car cig-iighter socket) and a FW cable. That's it. Every P2 camera made from the HVX200 all the way up to the HPX3000 has this capability.

Keep in mind this isn't *shooting* to the HDD, it's just data transfer from P2 cards to drive.
Old January 6th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #13
Major Player

Robert,

What would be the transfer time for a 16 gig card to a FW drive using Host mode?

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders