DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   HPX 170 and Cinebag Backpack (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/470537-hpx-170-cinebag-backpack.html)

Daniel Weber January 6th, 2010 11:05 AM

HPX 170 and Cinebag Backpack

I just received my Cinebag Backpack that I ordered for my HPX 170.

Is anyone using this bag with their HPX 170?

I find that the mic holder sticks up and pokes me in the back when I where the backpack.

I can't see this being good for the camera. I have taken the Sachtler place off the camera to help with the height a little, but the only way I can really get the camera in the backpack is to lay it on it's side and this puts all the weight on the viewfinder. I am wondering if the extra height added by the Juiced Designs mounting plate is causing the problem.

Any suggestions for pictures of how you have yours set up?

Thanks,

Daniel Weber

Dan Brockett January 6th, 2010 02:12 PM

Hi Daniel:

I just received my new CineBags CB25 since my Ogio backpack literally fell apart on the way home from last shoot in Europe. Two zippers gave out so I was holding the flaps shut since my camera and laptop were almost falling out. The Ogio held more stuff than the CineBags but it was a torture device, very uncomfortable. While it was new, I just resigned myself to using it until it fell apart. Thanks goodness it finally did so I could buy the CB25.

I used to have the CB20 with my HVX200 but when I sold my HVX, I gave it to the buyer because it didn't hold my laptop.

I'll put my HPX170 into the CB25 and will show you how I pack it later tonight. But as a disclaimer, I don't keep the mic holder on the camera, I rarely use on-camera mics because they are useless for anything except ambient and why would you want mono ambient when you can have stereo with the built-in mic?

Anyway, the HVX was the same way, it was a tight fit with the mic holder, I never used it and I just put it and the screws into a plastic sandwich back and keep it in the backpack in case I do need it.

Talk soon,

Dan

Daniel Weber January 6th, 2010 08:11 PM

Dan,

Thanks! Great point about the built in mic. Am I correct in that channels 3/4 are always recorded from the built in mic? (Unless I turn it off in the menu).

Daniel

Dan Brockett January 7th, 2010 09:43 AM

Correct.

I am on a deadline so I have not shot pictures yet, I will try again today at some point.

Dan

Dan Brockett January 7th, 2010 11:17 AM

Pictures of my setup

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Daniel:

CB25 with 170 and all accessories.

CineBags CB25
Panasonic AG-HPX170
Panasonic Microphone holder (not attached to camera)
Spare Tripod plate screws for pro and prosumer tripods
72mm B+W Circular Pola
Seven p2 cards
AC adapter
Component cable
Remote Control
SD card with my scene files
Century Optics/Schneider .06 WA lens
Hoodman
Hoodman LCD screen cleaner
FilmTools MicroFiber lens cleaning cloth
FilmTools lens cleaning fluid
Six CGD-54 batteries
Two OWC 500GB pocket drives
FW800 cable
FW400 cable
Giottos Rocket Blower

This does not show laptop, laptop power supply
or any of the tons of junk that I put in the side pockets. This is only the contents of the interior main compartment.

Dan

Daniel Weber January 7th, 2010 12:01 PM

Dan,

Thanks!! Man you get a lot of stuff in there. I guess my worry was the top of the camera sitting against my back when I wear the backpack. I won't worry about it then.

I don't carry as much gear as you, so I should be fine in getting it all in the backpack.

Your help is much appreciated.

I will post some video when I get back (that's if the client will let me).

Daniel Weber

Dan Brockett January 7th, 2010 04:11 PM

This is just for local shoots, plus I am dragging another 300 lbs of grip and lighting and a tripod too, of course.

You should see how much stuff is in there when I travel. Add the laptop, laptop power supply, cell phone, iPod, multiple chargers, plug converters for Euro plugs, gray scale card, HPX170 owners manual, wireless mics. On the trip to Copenhagen for the COP 15 climate summit I just made in December, the Ogio backpack ended up weighing almost 70lbs, it was a solid brick of metal, plastic and glass because I had a two channel wireless mic system and a brick of AA batteries (48) from Costco.

I need a damn PA/Sherpa to carry thing thing, I am getting too old.

Dan

TingSern Wong January 12th, 2010 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 1468764)
But as a disclaimer, I don't keep the mic holder on the camera, I rarely use on-camera mics because they are useless for anything except ambient and why would you want mono ambient when you can have stereo with the built-in mic?

Dan, I am surprised you can use the built-in mic on the HPX172. The recorded audio sounds like "tin-can" to me, when compared with my Sanken stereo shotgun microphone - recorded from the same location. I never ever use the built-in mic anymore :-).

Dan Brockett January 12th, 2010 08:58 AM

I rarely use ambient, other than really low in the mix so the so-so sound quality doesn't really matter to me. If need quality ambient, I use an outboard recorder with a real mic, but then I have a sound mixer with me recording it most of the time. Most of my shows are voice-over, music or interview audio underneath b-roll types of sequences so the quality ambient is rarely important since you are usually barely hearing it in the mix.

As much as I like audio, as I move forward, I much prefer hiring sound mixers and letting them deal with it. I am more interested in the lighting, composition, directing and the performance these days, audio should be captured by someone where sound that is their sole function. Camera operator recording audio is always a compromise.

Dan

Daniel Weber February 8th, 2010 11:05 AM

Quick update on the Cinebag.

The Africa trip ended up being canceled last minute as I went to cover the earthquake in Haiti instead.

The bag worked great though it was a bit tough fitting into the overhead bins on the American Airlines flights. I was amazed at how much I could fit inside the bag. It also gets very heavy very fast. The weight carries on my back nicely though.

I would say that it is a great bag for the money. My only complaint is that the zippers are not of the best quality. I guess that I am spoiled by my Portbrace gear.

The HPX 170 worked like a charm in some pretty tough filming conditions. The P2 workflow also was very nice as well. I did end up using my Macbook Pro with the Duel Adaptor and didn't have any problems at all.

I ended up buying some Iomega portable FW 800 drives right before I left for Haiti and I have to say that they are the fastest field drives I have ever used.

Daniel Weber

Thane Silliker June 11th, 2010 06:03 AM

HPX170 In The Cinebag

Mr. Brocket, just looking at the photo of the HPX in the bag. While carrying the backpack upright, or wearing it, it looks like the HPX would slide down and rest on the rubber of the viewfinder. Do you see this happening with the camera in that position inside the CB?

Dan Brockett June 12th, 2010 12:31 PM

Hi Thane:

In my setup, I have so much stuff on the side pockets on the outside of the camera in the bag that they sort of pinch together the sides of the camera compartment. It has never damaged or bent anything on the eyepiece on the camera. I suppose if I were not carrying so much gear and the camera fit into the backpack loosely, I would but it lens side down, but I am always carrying all of this stuff. It has never been a problem.

Also hard to see from the photos, but underneath where the eyepiece of the camera is, I carry the lens hood detached from the camera as well as a circular polarizer in a plastic case so that they rest against the back of the camera and the eyepiece goes over them sort of. So there is some bracing there to keep the camera eyepiece from ramming into the bottom of the backpack.

Cheers,

Dan

Thane Silliker June 16th, 2010 01:21 PM

I appreciate the response, Dan. I will likely be getting the new CB-23 for my HPX-170.