DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   HVX200A Playback (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/471885-hvx200a-playback.html)

Jason Chang January 29th, 2010 12:27 AM

HVX200A Playback

Forgive me for asking this newbie question: What is a good consumer camcorder I can buy to use as playback deck for my HVX200A? Most of the Panasonic camcorders record to SD cards now. Since I shoot weddings mostly, P2 cards are way too expensive. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Daniel Epstein January 29th, 2010 08:24 AM

If you are shooting on tape then you are shooting DV not HD so you should be able to use a variety of camcorders although I recommend staying in the Panasonic family if it is a camcorder. Not sure why but the camcorders don't always playback other manufacturers DV correctly. Of course you could just use the HVX-200A if you don't have another option.

TingSern Wong January 29th, 2010 09:36 AM

I used my Canon XL2 to playback Sony's consumer grade DV cameras without any problem. I also used my Sony professional tape deck (DSR-25) to playback DV tapes taken on Canon XL1, Canon XL2 and Panny's HVX202 (PAL version of HVX200) - all without any problems. Why not take your DV tapes (recorded on HVX200A) to a store, and try it out on a consumer grade videocam of your fancy and see if it plays back normally. Of course, the best bet will be a Panny's own consumer grade DV cam.

Question for original poster - why you buy a HVX200A if your aim was just to use the tape recorder? Even if it were weddings, I still shoot in HD - and then downgrade to SD during post - the colours are a lot better quality. AND if you use a 64GB P2 card, at DVCPRO HD (720p), you can easily cover the entire wedding without changing tapes, and consume less battery power as well. The E-P2 cards are much cheaper than previous A series P2 cards.

Daniel Epstein January 29th, 2010 11:01 AM

Ting Sern,
A deck is a good recommendation if Jason has the money but somehow I doubt he wants to go for that much money. The reason I told him to stick with Panasonic for DV is I have found incompatibility between Canon and Panasonic DV camcorders while Sony decks were able to play both. My DVX-100a could not play back DV tapes made by my Canon XLH1 in DV and vice versa. Mostly audio issues. My DSR-45 could play them both. The newer Sony HDV decks can playback most tapes no matter the format but the earlier ones didn't playback Canon 24F 30F style tapes.
Of course a 64gigE card would cost more than some small DV camcorders but would be a relatively easy transfer shooting in either HD or SD (at DV quality about 4 hours of Recording)

Jason Chang January 29th, 2010 10:14 PM

E-P2 Card

Thanks for the advice. It looks like Panasonic has figured out a way to squeeze more out of its customers. Now all I have to do is to find a good online store for P2 cards.

TingSern Wong January 30th, 2010 05:17 AM

Since you already have a HVX200, you might as well explore the possibility of P2 cards. Assuming you have a compatible Video Editor that can understand P2 MXF format, you find that once you use P2 cards, you save a vast amount of time doing post - using tapes, you still have to acquire that tape into your computer. If you have 5 hours of tapes, you have to spend 5 hours doing the acquisition. With P2 cards, you can forget about that nonsense. It can easily pay you back in terms of time saved in 3 months (like in my case).