Affordable HD monitoring solutions for your NLE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old July 13th, 2005, 02:16 PM   #1
Major Player

Affordable HD monitoring solutions for your NLE

This topic has been touched on tangentially in some other threads, but I thought it deserved its own. I am curious to know what sort of reference monitor people will be setting up in their NLE's once they start using the HVX (I'm not talking LCD computer monitor, but reference program monitor). I'm guessing not many of us can afford a 30k professional HD reference monitor, so what other solutions are there out there? I was thinking I'd use my current SD Sony PVM "14 monitor for color correction, and buy something like the Sony KD-34XBR960 (a really high-end consumer HD CRT monitor), see CNET review here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_KD_34XB...l?tag=topprods

for basic monitoring. I'm guessing you could also buy one of those color monitors that you stick onto the face of the tube to try and set up some reference colors with a set like this. Anyway, what are you all planning to do?

Peter
Peter Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 08:05 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi!

I'm also very interested in potential ways to accurately color correct footage shot with the HVX. I own the JVC TM-H1750C monitor with the component card, upgradable with a SDI card... Good only in the SD world.

Check out Barry's reply in the thread "total cost of upgrading" for some of the answers!
Bogdan Apetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 10:55 AM   #3
Major Player

Graeme Nattress wrote this article about using an Apple Cinema Display to monitor HD from Final Cut: http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage..._nattress.html.

You'll have to have a way to convert your signal to DVI, but it would cost much less than 30k. I don't know how reliable calibration is with the Apple display compared to a consumer CRT.
Zach Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 11:14 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I am just getting interested in HD, so I'm no expert...

However as far as SD is concerned, everybody shouts: "do not trust LCD monitors, do not color correct on the computer screen, ALWAYS use a CRT monitor! No exeptions if you want quality work!". Well, they are right!

Now, with HD, the problem is more complicated. I actually see more people these days arguing that we should rely more on the LCD HD monitors. Like Barry pointed out, CRT in the HD world is indeed tricky. Nevertheless, should we rely more on HD computer screens ONLY because of the prohibitive costs (if we wanna go to the next level) OR because HD LCDs are actually better/more accurate than regular ones?

I also read here that CRT is not a good technology when used in the HD medium. What about downconverting on the fly to SD only for monitoring/correcting purposes? Is this an option (or possible at all)?
Bogdan Apetri is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders