Issues With HPX170 Dump To Firewire at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old July 13th, 2010, 01:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Issues With HPX170 Dump To Firewire

Has anyone successfully used the Firewire Host mode to download footage from the HPX170?

I have recently done this with my machine which has two 64GB P2 cards installed.

I was surprised to learn that the camera creates a partition on the drive for each download. I initially thought it just created a new directory.

The problems comes from trying to transfer all this footage. I have a fast i7-920 Windows system running Windows 7. Each partition wants its own unique letter, as does the external USB drive I am attempting to transfer to. Problem is the computer can't seem to recognize so many drives/letters. With just the laCie rugged firewire disc plugged in (using the USB cable), I can browse the contents. (drive letters K: and L:)

Then when I plug my 2TB Seagate external in, I can no longer browse the LaCie drives.

The same thing happens when I attempt to plug the Panasonic into my computer via USB. I plug the Seagate 2TB unit in and lose the ability to look at the Panasonic cards.

Why in the world would it create new partitions each time? What if I did 6 or 7 downloads from the Panny to the FW LaCie? I doubt there would be enough letters to go around when plugged into the puter via USB.

A very frustrating problem that is preventing me from accessing the contents of the FW drive. Maybe the solution is to tranfer to the computer's internal drive and then to the Seagate for storage. But that is a lot of transferring, I have already did the transfer from the Panny to the LaCie.

The P2 Store manager software I downloaded from Panasonic doesn't seem to see any drives.
Old July 14th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Strangely enough, I have discovered my own solution. When using the USB ports at the front panel of the computer, the computer only recognizes one device.

When I plug everything into the USB ports at the back, it all works - camera with two 64GB P2 cards, LaCie rugged FW/USB drive, and the 2TB external Seagate.

Problem solved. It will be interesting what will happen with 6-8 partitions on the FW drive, but for now, it all works.
Old July 16th, 2010, 06:57 AM   #3
Major Player

Using P2 Store Manager's software, you can assign virtual drive letters to a directory of your own choosing. If you can't see anything, have you installed the device driver correctly first?
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders