HPX300 audio input problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old July 18th, 2010, 04:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HPX300 audio input problem

So Im outputting a line level from my edirol r4 pro into the back of the camera. The rear Ch2 input, selected on line. When its manual and maxed volume I get really low levels, when set to automatic I get higher levels however still peaks at around -20 at most when my recorder is clipping or close to 0db.

What is going on here? I've browsed the whole menu numerous times in the audio section and nothing helps. I noticed there is a -50db or -60db option in there, doesnt let me change it beyond that, is this a pad? Can I get the same levels as my recorder somehow? With other cameras I can get high levels no problem sending a line this way...

any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Chris Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:02 PM   #2
Trustee

Hey Chris,
A quick check of the specs shows the Edirol R4Pro using RCA outputs which are usually consumer line out audio of -10dB while the HPX300 is looking for a line Level of +4dbu. You either have to boost the output from your Edirol (not easy to do) or knock it down with a pad and use Mic Level if this is the problem. My guess is the Pro designation is for the inputs not the outputs. The -50DB or -60DB setting should apply to the mic level sensitivity on the camera but you might want to switch it to -60DB and see if it changes the Line Level sensitivity of the camera. It shouldn't if they designed it properly but it is worth a shot.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

looks like my only option was to try it @mic level w a pad, but already wrapped the show. Everything that went to cam was low but oh well, they are going to have to sync it anyways.

Thanks though!! :)
Chris Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 02:40 PM   #4
Trustee

The wiring of the adapters and/or cables you used could be a problem as well, causing an unintended decrease in levels if the unbalanced to balanced connection isn't made correctly.

Exactly how did you make the connection between the two devices?

If I was doing this I would use a mixer between the Edirol and the camera.
That would give the best control and monitoring.

You could also use some passive direct boxes, or dual direct box units with two channels in a single box.
That would take the unbalanced output of the recorder and change it to balanced mic level for the camera.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders