New HVX brochure on Panasonic's site at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old July 25th, 2005, 02:18 AM   #1
Barry Wan Kenobi

New HVX brochure on Panasonic's site

The HVX brochure has been completely updated.

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasoni..._AG-HVX200.pdf
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 09:15 AM   #2
Trustee

It must be receiving heavy downloads - and when I finally did manage to download it, the PDF had some unrepairable error. I guess we wait for the initial rush to die down...
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 10:14 AM   #3
Wrangler

I downloaded it with no problems almost immediately. I'm curious as to what a 'news gamma' curve is. I'm guessing it's shaping the curve to make it more or less an in camera broadcast legalizer.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 04:55 PM   #4
Barry Wan Kenobi

Just to point something out, and squelch (hopefully forever) the pervasive rumor that the HVX won't have 1080/24p...

Look at page 12. There it's clearly spelled out: Shooting mode: 1080/60i, 30p, 24p. 720/60p, 30p, 24p. 480/60i, 30p, 24p.

No question at all -- the HVX DOES shoot native 1080/24p and 1080/30p, in addition to 1080/60i.
Old July 26th, 2005, 10:02 AM   #5
Regular Crew

no 16:9 lcd? Manual focus

is this LCD not in 16:9? It looks 4:3 to me.

Also it say is has "outstanding manual shooting ease." What do you guys know about the focus ring. Can you use chalk marks? Does it have a true manual setting, or is it still the servo mumbo jumbo?
Brian Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 10:23 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Brian, welcome aboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Petersen
is this LCD not in 16:9? It looks 4:3 to me.
The flip-out LCD display is 4:3, and this is a *good* thing, because when you're shooting 16:9 with the camera, the display shows your standard black letterbox matte above and below the image. Certain display information such as time code, time/date, etc. is shown in the black letterbox area of the LCD display, keeping the actual image area clean and uncluttered by on-screen data.

The 4:3 shape of the LCD display also lends itself well to showing file thumbnail images of video clips stored on the P2 card.

Quote:
Also it say is has "outstanding manual shooting ease." What do you guys know about the focus ring. Can you use chalk marks? Does it have a true manual setting, or is it still the servo mumbo jumbo?
I just attended a seminar on this camera at DV Expo East last week, and the product manager for the HVX200 assured me that it is *not* a servo-controlled linkage, it really is manual. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 11:57 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Sounds good. And I'm glad to see that the 16:9 will be letterboxed in the display and not squeezed anamorphic. I can't stand framing a 16:9 image when it's anamorphically squeezed into a 4:3 lcd display.

Thanks for the info!
Brian Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 12:39 PM   #8
Barry Wan Kenobi

I had the same reaction -- WHAT?!??! A 4:3 LCD? Then I saw how they had it implemented -- the full 16:9 frame, with all the readouts occupying the letterbox bars at the top and the bottom of the frame (i.e., NOT CLUTTERING THE DISPLAY!) And then I thought it was just brilliant.

Note that the new JVC HD100 also has a 4:3 LCD. I don't know if they intend to use it in the same way as the HVX does, but I hope so.
Old July 26th, 2005, 02:15 PM   #9
Major Player

I really hope this doesn't continue to look this good

I've become awfully fond of the power, and range and technical acheivement that the XL2 is with the 20x lens.

I get the feeling that I'm going to end up with both systems.

I've got to figure out what I CAN sell.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Haw! It's such a difficult choice, so why not just get both? I like your thinking, Jim.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 09:37 PM   #11
Inner Circle

"Note that the new JVC HD100 also has a 4:3 LCD. I don't know if they intend to use it in the same way as the HVX does, but I hope so."

no the HD100 has info plasteres all over the place but u can cycle through 3 different detail settings at teh touch of a button to show the details or break them down into elements (much like the menu option in the DVX with "all, partial or off")
The focus asist is a very funky feature however, and is probably one of the most useful elements of the viewfinder/cam
The HD100 IS a brilliant piece of machinary, but to me and my clients, HD is not an urgent matter and im still making money with my DVX units... I made the mistake of selling off a DSR570 to get 2 Z1's.... stupid move but theyre good cameras but i only use them for clients who are hapy to pay for that extensive editing, transcoding to cineform etc etc by the time i buy another HD model, the newer updated models would be released..
the Z1s are up for sale.. lol

Lots going on.. im jsut gonna sit back and watch the shoot out.. my biggest concern with this camera is the post production support..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 10:01 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Haw! It's such a difficult choice, so why not just get both? I like your thinking, Jim.

It really does make it tough Chris. I've come to think of the XL2 - specifically with the 20x and it's pretty amazing features - as the ultimate documentary rig. With IS you can do nearly anything handheld that you need to and with the long range and program zoom, you can cover so much in real time.

But the promise of 16:9, 24p HD in such a neat little package, and the fact that Panasonic has already done such a great job developing the DVX line, makes it really attractive.

I'm really looking forward to checking out some initial footage and the new lens that I assume they've developed for it.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 10:29 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Giberti
It really does make it tough Chris. I've come to think of the XL2 - specifically with the 20x and it's pretty amazing features - as the ultimate documentary rig. .

The Canon XL2 is an amazing camera. If we were still in SD and not HD. The XL2 would be my first choice. I can't wait to see what Canon will
bring. I hope a HD version of the XL2 which will be a powerful setup if so.

Ofcourse the HVX is a super charged DVX100a that does HD. Shooting to memory media is a big plus as well the future for me. So this is very appealing to me. I hope Canon considers a memory card drive as well. Doubt it, but it would be nice.
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 11:45 AM   #14
Major Player

I'm with you guys on that tough decision. I have an XL2 and love it, but it will be hard to go back to SD once I get the Panny and start shooting HD. I can barely even WATCH SD on television now.

I look forward to Canon's announcements. I thought they had said August, didn't they? Hopefully we'll find out soon, but I think they may go the HDV route. Afterall, the XL series is still coming from their consumer division, is it not?

Kw
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 03:12 PM   #15
New Boot

After reading through the brochure I am quite impressed.

When do I get to buy one, Barry?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders