XF300's new competitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old April 11th, 2011, 06:45 AM   #1
Space Hipster

XF300's new competitor

It looks like Panasonic is releasing a real competitor to the XF300/305.

http://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/sales.../ag-hpx250.pdf
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 08:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: XF300's new competitor

Sadly, it seems they're still using proprietary P2 cards. And it's "scheduled for release in Autumn 2011".

Otherwise, it looks interesting.
Old April 11th, 2011, 09:10 AM   #3
Space Hipster

I've worked with P2 and it's a very good, very reliable media system. Pricey, but the costs have come down a lot lately.
Old April 11th, 2011, 09:40 AM   #4
Major Player

the costs have come down a lot lately.

They have, but they are still overpriced for what they are IMO. The other issue is that many will want to record to AVC Intra at 100 mbs so even though the cards are getting cheaper, they still work out expensive per minute.

I like CF cards myself. Robust, decent size etc. I don't like those tiny/fiddly SDHC things.

No doubt the new Panny will be excellent if you've already invested in the P2 media, otherwise its still an expensive system compared with the competition. The AVCHD version will be a good buy for those who can live without the superior codec.
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #5
Major Player

Don't like P2, the AC160 looks like it is an AVCCAM version of the HPX250 recording to more standard media. The AC130 gives up audio quality, HDSDI outputs, and interchangeability between NTSC and European standards.
Philip Lipetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 09:49 AM   #6
Space Hipster

I had an HPX500 before I got my XF305, and I still have the P2 cards. This camera is interesting to me because of the AVC-i codec. I don't know what the quality of the lens will be, but it had better be really, really good to match the XF's.
I still like the form factor of the XF better. The 4" monitor's ability to switch to either side is a great feature, one that's come in handy more than once.
Old April 11th, 2011, 09:50 AM   #7
Major Player

The quality of XF300 is the sum of its 2 parts - the codec and the lens. It will be interesting to see if Panny can match the quality of the Canon lens (in the photos it even has 'canon-esque' red stripe. Is it going to be a Leica lens?

Glen just said the same thing while I was writing this...

Last edited by Simon Wood; April 11th, 2011 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Glen just said the same thing while I was writing this...
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 09:50 AM   #8
Inner Circle

It will be interesting to see the XF300 vs the HPX-250 as they both have a good codec option and identical chipset specs. If the HPX-250 has better light sensitivity then Panasonic will have an edge.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 09:56 AM   #9
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
It will be interesting to see the XF300 vs the HPX-250 as they both have a good codec option and identical chipset specs. If the HPX-250 has better light sensitivity then Panasonic will have an edge.
Panasonic claims it will be very good in low light. I guess this is based on the HPX370. I wonder if it's the exact same chipset?
Old April 11th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
I had an HPX500 before I got my XF305, and I still have the P2 cards. This camera is interesting to me because of the AVC-i codec. I don't know what the quality of the lens will be, but it had better be really, really good to match the XF's.
I still like the form factor of the XF better. The 4" monitor's ability to switch to either side is a great feature, one that's come in handy more than once.
"Combined with the high-sensitivity, low-noise, 1/3-type 2.2-megapixel U.L.T. (Ultra Luminance Technology) MOS image sensor ..." (excerpted from the Panasonic pdf for the HPX-250) NOTE: it says SENSOR, not sensors.

Unless the Panasonic blurb contains a typo, or represents poor comprehension on the part of the copywriter, the HPX-250 appears to be a single sensor, 1/3" camera.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #11
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wilk View Post
"Combined with the high-sensitivity, low-noise, 1/3-type 2.2-megapixel U.L.T. (Ultra Luminance Technology) MOS image sensor ..." (excerpted from the Panasonic pdf for the HPX-250) NOTE: it says SENSOR, not sensors.

Unless the Panasonic blurb contains a typo, or represents poor comprehension on the part of the copywriter, the HPX-250 appears to be a single sensor, 1/3" camera.
It's a 3-chipset. Her's a more detailed link:

For Journalists
Old April 11th, 2011, 10:14 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I think I read it is the same chipset as the HPX-370. Which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending upon who you talk to!

Light sensitivity is large on my list. After watching the "Coal" series, it seems like the operators had to resort to gain pretty often to get a proper exposure (not just in the mine). Just seems like the XF300s were struggling a bit in that role.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 11:53 AM   #13
Trustee

Over 2 years of use I have found P2 to be pretty bullet proof. Works well with my NLE (Edius), What I find really interesting in the HPX250 is the lens (21x), higher resolution and the variety of codecs you can use all the way back to DV. Now if they can just give us a slow-crawl servo zoom control. I shoot with a HPX170 and the slow zoom speed is not slow enough.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 12:11 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I was disappointed to see they're still using P2 media. Yes the prices have come down but they're still too damned expensive.

One solution might be this: Blackmagic Design: HyperDeck Shuttle
Kirk Candlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 04:15 AM   #15
Major Player

P2 media is certainly expensive but AVC-Intra is a great codec and 10-bit. It's all great on the high-end Pana series. However 10-bit, intra-frame compression at high bit rates aren't too much to get excited about if the camera head is putting out noisy and/or poorly processed signals. The 300 and 370 suffer from some major flaws in this area - and the 370 in particular. Let's hope Pana have sorted this out but - after the signal processing issues on the 300/371 and AF100, I won't be holding my breath and I doubt this new camera is a serious threat to the XF!
Antony Michael Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders