DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Varicam baby steps (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/495007-varicam-baby-steps.html)

Amit Avasthi April 24th, 2011 05:56 AM

Varicam baby steps

Hello,

I'm a PD150 person getting to use the AJ-HDC27F (w/ Fujinon 20X manual ENG lens) for a couple of days. Definitely a steep learning curve but could someone help me understand:

(1) how to set exposure (I'm relying on 85% zebras for now)

(2) how does one go about dialing focus distance, provided the accurate distance to an object (or animal) is estimated with a laser rangefinder

Thanks in advance, and since this is my first post, Hello World...

Glen Vandermolen April 24th, 2011 06:06 AM

Re: Varicam baby steps

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amit Avasthi (Post 1642401)
Hello,

I'm a PD150 person getting to use the AJ-HDC27F (w/ Fujinon 20X manual ENG lens) for a couple of days. Definitely a steep learning curve but could someone help me understand:

(1) how to set exposure (I'm relying on 85% zebras for now)

(2) how does one go about dialing focus distance, provided the accurate distance to an object (or animal) is estimated with a laser rangefinder

Thanks in advance, and since this is my first post, Hello World...

To focus, just zoom in on the object, set your focus, and zoom back out. It will retain the focus.

Amit Avasthi April 24th, 2011 10:06 AM

Thanks for your response.

My query is this: if the laser rangefinder indicates that the distance to a far away vehicle is, say, 550 yards, how can I dial in this number in the camera so that focus is spot on.

I also need help on setting correct exposure.

Cheers

Brian Drysdale April 25th, 2011 05:10 AM

The lens focus scale isn't accurate enough for you to use range finders, you have to focus by eye. This should be easy enough if the viewfinder optics are set for your eye and you have enough peaking to see the edge's sharpen as you go into focus.

You should also check your camera's back focus regularly, this can drift with differing ambient temperatures on HD cameras.

I'm assuming you have a B & W CRT viewfinder, so I'd correctly set up that first using the camera's bars, that usually means that what you see is mostly what you get. Although too much peaking can throw this a bit.

Which zebra setting you use would depends on what you're shooting. However, if you're shooting landscapes a 95% or 100% zebra setting will give you warning when you're hitting peak white.

Amit Avasthi April 27th, 2011 12:06 AM

Thanks for the helpful info.

Cheers

Gary Nattrass April 27th, 2011 12:35 AM

Hi Amit I would guess you are more used to film work and setting exposure and focus in a more technical manner by measuring the distance and setting the lens or focus pull wheel using the calibration on the lens.

The ENG lenses are not as accurate and you need to zoom in and find your focus points in that way, you could still use a follow focus and mark the wheel but as this type of camera is more designed for single operator use it tends to be done more by sight in the viewfinder.

As for exposure the lens with have an auto/manual switch near the zoom rocker on the right side, if you set this to manual you can then use the button beside it to set an exposure value on the lens, it you zoom into the area you wish to expose on and press this button it will take a spot reading from that area and lock the exposure even when you zoom out. Note if you set this to auto it will constantly set the exposure automatically but this may not be ideal in most set-ups.

Using the zebras can also help and at 85% if you set the exposure so that the zebra's are just starting to appear on highlights then the exposure should be about right, I normally also double check by using the exposure button on the lens just to be sure that it all is OK.

Once you are more used to the viewfinder you will be able to tell if your exposure is right just by looking.

Hope this helps.

Amit Avasthi May 22nd, 2011 07:13 PM

Thanks a ton, Gary. I tried this in the field and it worked like a charm. The point about focusing capabilities of an ENG lens was quite helpful, as was the one on zebras.

Sorry for a belated reply, I was out of the country.

One quick question: does anyone have experience traveling internationally with the Varicam, and how much does a CARNET cost for it? Can I avoid this fee if I show press credentials?

Cheers,

Amit

Gary Nattrass May 23rd, 2011 02:40 AM

The cost of a carnet will vary according to which country you are travelling from so you best check with your local shipping companies.

A press pass may get you certain access but it is not a passport to travel the world problem free and could get you in more trouble is some regions.

You need to check out all the requirements for where you wish to travel to before you set off as there are too many variables to discuss on a forum such as this.

The HPX3700 is an expensive camera to be travelling the world with under a press pass anyway so make sure you do your research for the job it is going to be used on.

Amit Avasthi May 29th, 2011 04:02 PM

Got it. By the way, the countries I am planning to visit -- Cameroon and Malawi -- aren't even on the list of countries that accept the CARNET. Will try to check with some researchers who regularly ship equipment there.