P2 and CS4/CS5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old May 5th, 2011, 08:18 AM   #1
New Boot

P2 and CS4/CS5

First time poster here; hello everyone.

I use a Panasonic HPX-370 with Avid Media Composer at the day job. I am looking into a Panasonic HPX-170 for my church, where we currently edit on Adobe CS4 platform. We will be upgrading to CS5. Initially we'll just shoot DVCPro50, but that will change to HD in the near-term future.

Is the Adobe workflow as simple as copying the MXF files to the project edit hard drive and doing an import in your Premiere project? Or are there a few more details?

Initially I would be connecting the camera via USB 2.0. The CS5 machine with have a SmartCard reader on board, of a flavor the Panasonic drivers will like.

Any thoughts or "tribal knowledge" I should have as I investigate this?

If you know of previous threads that would help, feel free to share links as well.

Thanks for any assistance you might offer!

Jon
Jon Doughtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 09:50 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: P2 and CS4/CS5

Bump - - - No one using a P2/Adobe workflow?
"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11 [NIV]
Old May 14th, 2011, 03:53 AM   #3
Trustee

Hi Jon I use FCP so I am not an adobe expert but from what I understand CS5 ia needed for AVC Intra and will work fine with P2, more details about CS4 operation are here: ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasoni..._Adobe_CS4.pdf

I did do a job last year and we shot AVC Intra 50 720p and it could be played and edited direct with CS5, it seemed to do a transfer process like in FCP in the background so that all the media ended up on the clients hard drives from the cloned P2 cards that were on my USB drive.

Hope this helps and I did do some tests in CS5 to check it last year and from what I recall it all seemed to work OK to me and virtually identical to my FCP workflow.
Old May 15th, 2011, 07:48 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I use CS5 with HPX370. Just drag the MXF files on your hard drive, import into Premiere and you're off! It's that simple.

I use the Panasonic AJ-PCD2 card reader to import.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Doughtie View Post
First time poster here; hello everyone.

I use a Panasonic HPX-370 with Avid Media Composer at the day job. I am looking into a Panasonic HPX-170 for my church, where we currently edit on Adobe CS4 platform. We will be upgrading to CS5. Initially we'll just shoot DVCPro50, but that will change to HD in the near-term future.

Is the Adobe workflow as simple as copying the MXF files to the project edit hard drive and doing an import in your Premiere project? Or are there a few more details?

Initially I would be connecting the camera via USB 2.0. The CS5 machine with have a SmartCard reader on board, of a flavor the Panasonic drivers will like.

Any thoughts or "tribal knowledge" I should have as I investigate this?

If you know of previous threads that would help, feel free to share links as well.

Thanks for any assistance you might offer!

Jon
Old May 17th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks guys, that is terrific information.

Ralph, any reason I couldn't simply connect the camera USB 2.0 and do the file transfer?

Jon
"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11 [NIV]
Old May 17th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Doughtie View Post
Thanks guys, that is terrific information.

Ralph, any reason I couldn't simply connect the camera USB 2.0 and do the file transfer?

Jon
Yes you can just connect the camera, my first tests were done this way then we also checked it with a usb drive of the cloned cards from the camera.

The nice thing is that you can start editing straight away and CS/5 does the transfer as a background task, or maybe not as that takes away my teabreak time!!!
Old May 19th, 2011, 07:53 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hello Jon,

I use the HPX 170 with Adobe CS 5. I'm rather new too, but I import the MXF files by card reader then import them directly into Premiere by the Project panel. I'm a very basic person, so if I find something that works, I stick with it. I have not experimented any other way. I shoot 720 24p. I have used nothing but Adobe Premiere since 2000. Almost gave up on Adobe in the early years but CS 5 and P2 cards are the way to go for me now.
Art White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #8
Jubal 28

Copy over the entire Contents folder from the card, not just the MXF files. Leave the folder structure intact.

Then use Media Browser to navigate to the Contents folder, and all the footage will appear with thumbnails and User Clip Names, if assigned.

That is the best way to import.

Workflow is more fully explained in the white paper:

http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe...2-p2hd-wfg.pdf

I can vouch for it, because I wrote it. :)
David Jimerson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders