DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Questions about the HPX170 and P2 in general (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/498810-questions-about-hpx170-p2-general.html)

Bill Edmunds July 24th, 2011 11:51 AM

Questions about the HPX170 and P2 in general

First, let me apologize that this post is so clearly out of date. I know that the HPX170 has been discontinued, and that all of these questions were no doubt addressed a couple of years ago. But I've been out of the loop for a while now so...

1) I am currently using a Canon XH-A1 camera and am looking at moving to a solid state camera. The HPX170 appeals to me a lot; the 4:2:2 color space, the DVCProHD format, the terrific cine-gamma settings, etc. But I don't know if things like low light ability and image noise would suffer in comparison. Thoughts?

2) Has Panasonic ceased producing P2 cameras? A casual look at their inventory seems to indicate that P2 and DVCProHD are being replaced by SD cards and AVCHD. Is there any advantage to P2 over SD cards or Flash cards?

Daniel Epstein July 26th, 2011 05:44 AM

Re: Questions about the HPX170 and P2 in general

Bill,
So many things to talk about here. HPX170 is being replaced by the HPX250. whether Panasonic handles the change over so stock is available on a timely basis is questionable.
I doubt your Canon XHA1 is that great a low light performer compared to the HPX170 or the new HP250 as they all are 1/3 inch based cameras. Side by side tests may reveal some strengths and weaknesses of the cameras you are comparing. Personally I find Panasonic has a better understanding of what I want as a shooter compared to Canon but that could change from one generation of equipment to another.
As far as P2. It is not going away but Panasonic is releasing many cameras with SD media for lower price points. The advantages of P2 over SD are for the most part more robust recording and Codecs like DVCPRO HD AVCIntra compatibility vs AVCHD. Depending on your edit system you may find it is easier to edit footage from one system over the other. DVCPRO has been around longer than AVCintra so more systems can handle it but you may not have to make any adjustments to use either, Disadvantages of P2 might be cost and less flexible sources of additional media.

Dan Brockett July 26th, 2011 08:19 PM

P2 isn't going anywhere, the newly introduced AG-HPX250 and the new higher end Panasonic 3D camera both shoot to P2 and they haven't even been released yet.

For more detail on the AG-HPX170, read my article here Panasonic's HPX170 I own the AG-HPX170, it is a great camera, although now outdated by the AG-HPX250. Depends on your needs though, I have shot plenty of broadcast for PBS and a feature film that played in an IMAX theater with the 170, all of the images were beautiful.

For more information about the AG-HPX250, read my article in this month's issue of HD Video Pro Magazine here HD Video Pro - Small Sensors Still Thriving | HDVideoPro.com or in print.

Dan

Bill Edmunds July 26th, 2011 08:59 PM

Very interesting article on the HPX170, Dan. Can you shed any light on the "lockable" firewire jack? How does it lock the cable in place? Do you need a special cable? Did you shoot in 720 or 1080 for the PBS and IMAX stuff?

Dan Brockett July 28th, 2011 12:32 AM

Hi Bill:

The locking FW cable seems to be kind of like the Loch Ness Monster, some say it exists but I have never found a place to buy one and I have looked all over the web. All I can tell you is that they are definitely not common and easy to find, but supposedly they exist.

All of the broadcast and IMAX material was shot 1080i 24P and 1080i 60i. Looks great.

Dan