DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   PCD35 in 64-bit mode? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/502698-pcd35-64-bit-mode.html)

Dave Coulter November 15th, 2011 01:19 AM

PCD35 in 64-bit mode?

I'm using a QIO with a 17" MacBook Pro Quad. It only recognizes P2 cards when the Mac is running in 32-bit mode. Sonnet says categorically that Panasonic's P2 driver doesn't work in 64-bit mode.

When I asked a Panasonic engineer about this he says the PCD35 works fine in 64-bit mode with the same driver, and that the problem is on Sonnet's end. I'd like to know what others' real-world experience is with the PCD35 and 64-bit Macs. I believe that reader is only configured for Mac Pros and doesn't have an adapter for Express34, but if that's the case I don't think that matters - the Mac drivers are only delineated by operating system, not hardware type.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of that. What's your experience?

Thanks!
Dave

Dave Coulter November 18th, 2011 01:29 PM

Re: PCD35 in 64-bit mode?

Is this thing on? Bonk, bonk, bonk...

Somebody please throw me a bone. Is nobody using a PCD product on a 64-bit mac?

Thanks,
Dave

Bo Skelmose November 19th, 2011 05:08 AM

Hi
I have no problem with PCD-35 on a Win 7 64bit. But I guess it is not the same driver...

Daniel Epstein November 19th, 2011 09:51 AM

Can't say I have used the QIO but you could probably borrow a Panasonic single slot reader for a test and see if it works on your computer in 64 bit mode. If it does then you can decide if it is a Sonnet problem or not

Gary Nattrass November 20th, 2011 03:26 AM

A question from me, what advantage is there in loading the 10 bit data from P2 cards in 64 bit bandwidth over 32 bit?

Surely the 32/64 bit argument is only valid once the data is within the computer system and is being manipulated by the edit software, or am I missing something here?

Dave Coulter November 23rd, 2011 10:17 AM

Thanks guys for your responses. No, the 64-bit issue isn't a killer, but the main problem is time and space. I have a scenario coming up next month which isn't completely unusual for me where I'll be ingesting P2 footage all day as it's shot and quickly turning around edited pieces, all day long. The distributed processing in Compressor 4 only works in 64-bit, and that's a big time-saver I don't want to get rid of.

The 32-bit issue means I'll have a second computer just to run the QIO in 32-bit, networked to the edit drive. Otherwise I'd have to constantly restart every time a new card comes in and reopen Final Cut etc. Plus the second laptop takes up valuable real estate when I don't have a lot of room on location, which unfortunately is also not uncommon.

I guess I'll have to get my hands on a PCD just to satisfy my curiosity... I think it's striking to hear such different explanations from Sonnet and Panasonic about this. I guess that's why I'm looking for verification. But I know the PC driver is fine in 64-bit, so my money's on Panasonic... it would just be nice to get beyond this.

Thanks,
Dave