DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Panasonic Ag-HPX 250 Camcorder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/504874-panasonic-ag-hpx-250-camcorder.html)

Larry Kropp January 30th, 2012 08:06 AM

Panasonic Ag-HPX 250 Camcorder

Looking to buy thg new ag-hpx250 P2 camcorder. This is my 1st timing going into the P2 environment. Can anyone tell me what firmware, if any, I have to download to get up and running with this camera? Also what software downloads to I need like the P2 player so I can see the clips. Using 64gb P2 card. Any information to get me up and running would be helpful. Thanks.

Larry

Sanjin Svajger January 30th, 2012 08:18 AM

Re: Panasonic Ag-HPX 250 Camcorder

All that you'll need software-wise : Panasonic Support Software Downloads for Professional Video

If you're editing with Avid you'll need to download P2 AMA plug-in and the MXF plug-in off course.

Larry Kropp January 30th, 2012 10:07 PM

Thanks for the info and direction Sanjin. However, this is where i get just a bit confused when looking at all the options for downloading and firmware. Just an FYI, I use Adobe Premiere Pro 5.5 for editing. Windows 7 Professional 64bit.

1. I will be getting 2 E Series 64gb P2 cards. When I click on that firmware download link, my AG-HPX250 is not listed. Would that mean I would not need to download it? I'm assuming I would need the firmware so the camera and cards can communicate but again the AG-250 is not listed. Also do you think there would be instructions somewhere on how to get the firmware on the camera? I've never done that before.

2. Under the P2 Driver download for Windows 7 64bit, it says the P2 card driver needs to be installed for each card bus slot? What the heck does that mean? Thanks.

Larry

Gary Nattrass January 31st, 2012 02:48 AM

Hi Larry and I think you are getting confused over the difference between camera firmware and software or drivers that are required to use P2.

The camera firmware is model specific and applies to functions that are available or updated on each model of the camera, the camera firmware is normally downloaded to your computer and then transferred to a memory card for updating and loading to your camera. You only need to update the camera firmware if panasonic do an update or add new features, your camera will work OK as it is shipped but it is always good to check if new firmware is available but if you register your camera panasonic will e-mail to tell you of any updates.

The software and drivers required to use the P2 system on your computer are on the page that you were linked to. They are downloaded to your computer and allow your system to use the P2 system and also have drivers that are for use with P2 card adaptors that may be present in your card bus slots. Therefore they are not camera specific and are more generic applications relating to the P2 system.

So to use P2 with your edit system find and download the relevant software and if you have PCMIA cardbus readers fitted you will also need the driver to enable it to work with your system. If yoou have two cardbus adaptors then you will need to load the driver for each one.

Hope that all makes better sense, CS5.5 works very well with P2 and AVC Intra and you will be able to edit and transfer the MXF files directly once you have the required software and drivers installed.

Sanjin Svajger January 31st, 2012 02:49 AM

Here is the link for the driver: https://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp/pro...pcdriver_e.htm

As you can see, HPX250 is the first camera mentioned on the list (at the bottom of the page). This is the correct P2 driver to download.

As for the card bus slot: this does not refer to your camera. It probably refers to the P2 card reader AJ-PCD2 or for the PCMCIA card readers slots...probably...:) If it does refer to your camera it probably refers to it as a one "card bus slot". I didn't have to install the driver for each slot of my camera (HPX171).
But if you will have to do that I'm sure it won't be a problem, as all you'll have to do is to install the driver twice. Each time having one P2 card in a different slot.

As for the CS 5.5: it supports P2 natively. You just scroll down with "media browser" to the directory of your card and that's it. Don't import footage because HPX spans clips over multiple files and you'll only get confused:) Although it does join them upon import...

Larry Kropp January 31st, 2012 11:07 PM

Thanks again for helping Gary and Sanjin. I very much appreciate it. I'm excited to buy my new HPX 250 camera and get into the P2 environment but boy there is a lot to learn. Here is what I think I have to do:

1. Install P2 card driver installer that comes on the CD-Rom that comes with the camera.

A. When this is done do I still have to install the P2 card driver software from the link Sanjin has provided?

B. When I import P2 files use media browser in PP CS5. Clips are linked together as one file even though they are on the card in many small files since card is Fat 32 file?

2. Download P2 viewer software so I can view the clips.

3. Download P2 Contents Management Software for Windows users? Supports AVC-Intra?

4. Download E Series P2 Card ( I will buy 64gb) compatability software. A little confused on this one. Does this have to be downloaded for the cards and camera to work together?

5. Does each card have to be formated?

6. I don't see the camera listed for any firmware updates.

7. I will buy the card reader with the Firewire connnection. Can I assume if that needs a driver it will also come with it on a CD-Rom just like the camera does?

Thanks for your patience. I'm getting closer to buying. It's a +$7,000 total purchase with the mic, card reader, cards so I need to understand what I am doing. Looking forwared to shooting some great video in Green Bay, WI!

Larry

Konstantin Kovalev February 4th, 2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Kropp (Post 1712598)
Thanks again for helping Gary and Sanjin. I very much appreciate it. I'm excited to buy my new HPX 250 camera and get into the P2 environment but boy there is a lot to learn. Here is what I think I have to do:

1. Install P2 card driver installer that comes on the CD-Rom that comes with the camera.

A. When this is done do I still have to install the P2 card driver software from the link Sanjin has provided?

B. When I import P2 files use media browser in PP CS5. Clips are linked together as one file even though they are on the card in many small files since card is Fat 32 file?

A. The drivers should already be on the disk. Which ones you install depends on how you're going to access the cards, either by putting them into the PC slot of your computer, an external reader, or just hooking the camera up to the computer via USB.

B. It should work like that, but I rarely access the clips directly from the camera/cards unless I really need to, It's much better if you first use P2CMS to ingest the clips to a database on your hard drive (set the metadata and so on), and then export to an external drive array for use and storage.

Quote:

2. Download P2 viewer software so I can view the clips.

3. Download P2 Contents Management Software for Windows users? Supports AVC-Intra?
P2CMS has the viewer built in, but you need to download the AVC-intra decoder to be able to actually see the footage, both are available here: https://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp/pro...load.htm?num=1

Quote:

4. Download E Series P2 Card ( I will buy 64gb) compatability software. A little confused on this one. Does this have to be downloaded for the cards and camera to work together?
No, they should work just as-is. For the cards to be readable by the PC, you just need the P2 drivers.

Quote:

5. Does each card have to be formated?
I don't remember if I had to format the cards first, but it's a good idea to do so anyway after you've put them into the camera (I always format in-camera).

Quote:

6. I don't see the camera listed for any firmware updates.
That's because it's a really new camera, it probably doesn't need any updates yet.

Quote:

7. I will buy the card reader with the Firewire connnection. Can I assume if that needs a driver it will also come with it on a CD-Rom just like the camera does?
I don't have a reader, so I can't answer that... It should probably work right away of you already have the P2 drivers installed.

Quote:

Thanks for your patience. I'm getting closer to buying. It's a +$7,000 total purchase with the mic, card reader, cards so I need to understand what I am doing. Looking forwared to shooting some great video in Green Bay, WI!

Larry
Good luck, once you get used to the system and have everything working, it'll prove to be very solid. Shooting to P2 and managing your content through the manager, it's nearly impossible to lose any data.

I highly recommend you read this article as well, it might solve a few questions before they're asked: DVXuser.com : Understanding, and using, P2 Filenames