Press Release: FireStore for DVCPRO HD - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old October 10th, 2005, 11:22 PM   #16
Barry Wan Kenobi

Superb! Hopefully they will implement the logic to allow active-frame-only recording. Four hours of continuous 720/24p footage puts the recording capacity in the same ballpark as other FireStores...
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 02:51 AM   #17
Contributor

Hi Barry,

can you explain what active frames are in ten words or less? Or better yet give us an indication as to where we can find out more about the difference between the DVC Pro HD codec and the HDDV codec.

This may not be the right place for this question, but are you implying that there are GOP (groups of pictures) in the DVC Pro HD codec or what are active frames? And or how would active frame only recording work?

I guess I should do a search.... I found something:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....09&postcount=5

sorry that didn't work how I expected, here is the whole thread ...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=22531

Frankenstein meets XL1

Last edited by Daniel Kohl; October 11th, 2005 at 04:07 AM.
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 09:02 PM   #18
Trustee

the fs-100 may currently be rated to have a 100 gb hdd, but by the time it gets released and commonly available, laptop hdd's will be bigger than that, with sata interfaces and 7200 rpm spindle speeds... it's already happened.

the laptop computer market has been red-hot for awhile now, so hdd manufacturers have lots of product in the engineering pipeline.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 06:19 AM   #19
Panasonic Broadcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
Has it been verified if the FireStore will allow for storing "active frames" only? If so, that would mean over FOUR hours of 720/24p. But last I heard it might just store the raw stream directly, without parsing out the duplicate frames (which would mean 720/24p would also deliver only 100 minutes). Do you have any more info on this?

Hi,

As far as I am aware the signal that comes out of the firewire port is strictly 60i or 60P. If I hear differently I will let you all know.

Best,

Jan
Old October 13th, 2005, 09:48 PM   #20
Major Player

I expected the stream to be a normal 60p/i.... The only question left is what will the Firestore do?

Slightly off topic... does the Varicam have Firewire out? If so, this could be a neat addition to a Varicam set up too...
Old October 18th, 2005, 12:34 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Kohl
Hi Barry,

can you explain what active frames are in ten words or less?
the firestore always records at 60 - so for 30fps, each frame is recorded twice... and for 1fps - each frame is recorded 60times.

but in P2 - only 'active' frames are recorded - so 24fps will be just 24 frames.
Ram Ganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 03:02 AM   #22
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Ganesh
the firestore always records at 60
I thought I was begining to understand what active frames are.

But this stament is confusing.

The Firestore records 60fps (you mean the NTSC version right)?
Do you mean in general or only with the AG-HVX200?
Do you mean each frame is recorded twice or each field (I guess it would depend on if the camera is in p or i mode)?

How many times does the Firestore record each frame at 25fps?

Can you clarify please?

Frankenstein meets XL1
Old October 18th, 2005, 10:03 AM   #23
Major Player

The Firestore recording at 60fps has nothing to do with being NTSC. It is an engineering cost-saving measure. In a camera that is capable of multiple frame rates, it would be very difficult and costly to design every component in the system to support all those multiple frame rates.

In the Varicam, for instance, no matter what frame rate you shoot in, the camera always records the maximum frame rate (60) to tape. A simple indetifying "flag" is added to the signal to indentify the frame rate shot. That way, parts of the DSP and the tape transport never have to adapt to many different frame rates. They just have to record duplicate frames, which is much easier to do, from an engineering and design standpoint.

Having the Firewire out support multiple frame rates, then designing the Firestore to recognize and adapt to all those frame rates would require extra circutry. Instead, the camera simply duplicates frames somewhere earlier in the capture, then sends a 60fps signal out through the Firewire. The Firewire and the Firestore hardware only have to function at one frame rate.

P2 recording being a software-based process is easier to adapt. You only need to write the software differently in order to drop those extra frames before they are recorded to the card.

The Firewire DVCProHD deck operates in a similar manner. Although it records at 60fps, when you digitize into FCP, for instance, the software recognizes those duplicate frames and only digitizes the active frames. I would expect a similar feature to be available with the Firestore. Even if the Firestore always throttles at 60fps, you should have an option to throw away those duplicate frames when editing, thereby saving storage space on a local HD or archival medium.
Scott Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 12:50 PM   #24
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Kohl
Do you mean each frame is recorded twice or each field (I guess it would depend on if the camera is in p or i mode)?

How many times does the Firestore record each frame at 25fps?

Can you clarify please?
Hi Scott,

Thanks for that very clear and easy to understand explanation.

I don't understand how the FS-100 is "throttled" though. Doesn't the FS-100 just accept the data flow coming out of the camera as it is, just like tape does. It seems to me that you are suggesting that it would be nice if the FS-100 would "throttle" to match what is being flagged. What I am asking is, what does the FS-100 do differently than say FCP capturing directly from the Varicam?

Since the Varicam apparently uses frames per second (I'm assuming non interlaced) then is the interlacing process also a software function that takes place after the video material has been recorded? (I'm not sure why I want to know this) Or have I got this all wrong anyway?

Sorry if I am being thick here.

Frankenstein meets XL1
Old October 25th, 2005, 09:38 AM   #25
Major Player

also, will the firestore be able to capture footage with variable frame rates?

-Jon
Jon Bickford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders