DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Editing in HVX200. Is it possible? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/51499-editing-hvx200-possible.html)

Michael Pappas September 21st, 2005 10:55 AM

Editing in HVX200. Is it possible?

Can we edit files on P2 in camera. For instance lets say I am shooting lightning and one clip is 5 minutes, but the last 30 seconds is only good. Can I cut out the first 4 minutes in camera/p2 to get back more memory space?

Side ???

On the mac can you hook up the HVX200 straight to the computer and the P2 will mount via usb on the desktop as a hard drive?

Pappas

Barry Green September 21st, 2005 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Pappas
Can we edit files on P2 in camera. For instance lets say I am shooting lightning and one clip is 5 minutes, but the last 30 seconds is only good. Can I cut out the first 4 minutes in camera/p2 to get back more memory space?

Not sure if the HVX provides for that or not. That would be a great feature.

However, for your specific inquiry, there's a built-in and better way to do it. You can set up your pre-record buffer and the camera will automatically record BEFORE you hit the record button. So you could set the pre-record to maybe 10 seconds or so, and the camera will always buffer the last 10 seconds it sees. So when the lighting strikes, you press "record" and it'll write the previous 10 seconds to permanent memory, as well as continue recording from there. You can set up pre-record to run for the entire length of the card if you wanted to, so you can pre-buffer up to 20 minutes of 720/24p on the 8gb card...

Quote:

On the mac can you hook up the HVX200 straight to the computer and the P2 will mount via usb on the desktop as a hard drive?
Yes.

Bogdan Apetri September 21st, 2005 01:40 PM

I thought the maximum length that you can pre-buffer is 30 secs.That's what a Panasonic rep told me. Maybe I misunderstood?...

Anyway, since this feature is designed for situations when you miss the very beginning of the action you want to record, 30 secs is plenty.

Barry Green September 21st, 2005 01:55 PM

There's two different modes, pre-buffer (which is limited in time, and probably 30 seconds is right) and then there's a different mode where the card continually just overwrites everything, and when you press "record" it'll start committing new data from that moment forward, but everything that was already on the card (from the last 19 minutes, etc) is still there. It's a continual loop over the whole surface of the card. Don't remember specifically what the name of that mode is, but Jan described it and it sounds like it's very similar to the pre-record buffer except that it allows the whole contents of the card to be used as the buffer.

Bogdan Apetri September 21st, 2005 02:01 PM

Thanks for pointing that out! I didn't know about this feature.

Michael Pappas September 21st, 2005 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Green
Not sure if the HVX provides for that or not. That would be a great feature.

Yes.

Barry, thank you.

That just made my day.

Pre-buffer. Awesome,awesome,awesome.....

michael pappas

Jacques Mersereau September 22nd, 2005 09:34 AM

Jan also said at NAB that all P2 clips would show in the LCD as thumbnails
and you can then easily select and delete unwanted takes FAST.
That is also VERY cool imo.