Laptop Capture - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old October 25th, 2005, 08:24 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Betsy,

I'm just looking for ways to avoid the P2 cards till the Firestore arrives... or till their price drops down.

I don't know for sure if either option would work (the drive I mentioned in the pasted press release or Apple's included one). That is why I posted my question here.

I would be happy with 720p if 1080i is not an option. I just desperately want to be able to capture DVCPRO HD directly to a Powerbook G4 with a workable internal hard-disk for this situation. If I can't do this, then I will have to (reluctantly) spend a few grands on those cards...

Anybody else seriously considering going the way of laptop capture before the Firestore is released?
Mike Medavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 12:20 PM   #32
Regular Crew

The company I work for is going to purchase the latest G4 laptop and the HVX w/2x8Gig P2s. We'll be using the laptop (w/7200RPM drive) for P2 offloading and for extended captures. As soon as we get the gear (when it's finally released) I'll be sure to post the results.
Kenn Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 12:07 AM   #33
New Boot

G4 Powerbook 1ghz Stock Too Slow For Dvcpro100 Capture?

Is there anyway to salvage my PB G4 1GHZ? I read of the possible 7200 rpm drive that might help for capture. Is this possible though being only a 1 GHZ PB. Think I could even play a single stream in FCP w/ this unit even if it did capture o.k.?

thanks,......I'd just hate for this PB to be useless when the new HVX comes.

probably dreaming huh?

Rob
Rob Depew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 01:33 PM   #34
Regular Crew

You might be able to get away with using an external firewire hard drive. I seem to recall a bus powered drive out there if you don't have access to AC.

You'll no doubt be able to test your laptop when footage from the camera is posted on this and other forums. Better yet, find someone local who's going to get one.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 01:40 PM   #35
Regular Crew

You might be able to get away with using an external firewire hard drive. I seem to recall a bus powered drive out there if you don't have access to AC.

You'll no doubt be able to test your laptop when footage from the camera is posted on this and other forums. Better yet, find someone local who's going to get one.

I will be doing a lot of testing when I get the camera, as I'm sure others will as well. I have a friend who I think has one of the earlier Powerbooks, I'll see if she can bring it over for a test. Bottom line, I'd wait and see the solutions others are going to come up with before plunging in and buing this camera right off the bat.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 03:06 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Kenn,

Do you know the particular firewire drive that is bus powered? The new powerbook 1.67Ghz and the drive you mentioned might prove to be a solution for some people before the Firestore arrives. Or before P2 prices drop a little.

Mike
Mike Medavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 05:05 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Mike,

There's this:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...ng/MOFW80GB72/

and then Macworld did reviews of various bus powered drives here:

http://www.macworld.com/2005/05/revi...able/index.php

Only a few of the drives reviewed are 7200rpm, unfortunately.
Old December 7th, 2005, 10:24 PM   #38
Major Player

Where can you buy Laird cords? I've looked on the net, googled, and on ebay, and haven't found 30' lairds or a link to a Laird site.
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2005, 08:28 AM   #39
Major Player

Betsy
I thought the firewire chords were limited in length...
John Benton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders