Panasonic AG-HPX370 ?? - Review at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old November 26th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: York, Maine
Posts: 31
Panasonic AG-HPX370 ?? - Review

I thinking of buying this HPX370 and would like to hear your reviews on it.

I'll be using is for interviews and a lot of other type of video recording.

Can you put any lens on this camera on the HPX370 ?

I'm also looking at the Sony NEX-EA50UH 3300.00 $

At the high end I'm looking at the Sony PMW-320K 8990.00 $

Thank you for any help you can give me on the above cameras !

Scott
Scott Comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #2
Space Hipster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,593
Re: Panasonic AG-HPX370 ?? - Review

Well, I own the 370's predecessor, the 300. They're almost identical. It's a pretty versatile camera. Both have a strong, broadcast codec, and all the professional connectors you'll need.
I've used mine for interviews, corporate events, church functions, etc. You'll need to buy expensive batteries and P2 cards, although the 370 can take the cheaper micro P2 cards.
The 370 is a 1/3" chip camera, so it's not great in low light, but not that bad. That really hasn't been an issue with my 300. The 370 will use interchangeable 1/3" B4 lenses, but there aren't a big variety of 1/3" lenses. Then again, you really won't need more than one.

My friend has the EA50. It's a good camera and will give you better control over depth of field than the 370, but it can have problems with moire and aliasing. It records in AVCHD on cheap SDHC cards. It comes with an E-mount, but there are a lot of lens adapters. Batteries are pretty cheap, too. It's a good event camera.

I don't have any experience with the PMW320, but it seems to be a very good camera. It will also use expensive A/B batteries, along with SxS cards.
You might also look into the EX3, which is a smaller, cheaper version of the 320. They both have 1/2" chips and record to SxS cards in XDCAM 35mbps. They both have interchangeable lenses.

I could have bought any of the above cameras, but I found a really good deal on my HPX300, so I went for it. The codec really sold me, though. Personally, I prefer the versatility of a broadcast codec.

Hope this helped.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2013, 04:29 AM   #3
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: York, Maine
Posts: 31
Re: Panasonic AG-HPX370 ?? - Review

I din't know that the HP370 does dot come with a battery ?
Scott Comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: York, Maine
Posts: 31
Re: Panasonic AG-HPX370 ?? - Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
Well, I own the 370's predecessor, the 300. They're almost identical. It's a pretty versatile camera. Both have a strong, broadcast codec, and all the professional connectors you'll need.
I've used mine for interviews, corporate events, church functions, etc. You'll need to buy expensive batteries and P2 cards, although the 370 can take the cheaper micro P2 cards.
The 370 is a 1/3" chip camera, so it's not great in low light, but not that bad. That really hasn't been an issue with my 300. The 370 will use interchangeable 1/3" B4 lenses, but there aren't a big variety of 1/3" lenses. Then again, you really won't need more than one.

My friend has the EA50. It's a good camera and will give you better control over depth of field than the 370, but it can have problems with moire and aliasing. It records in AVCHD on cheap SDHC cards. It comes with an E-mount, but there are a lot of lens adapters. Batteries are pretty cheap, too. It's a good event camera.

I don't have any experience with the PMW320, but it seems to be a very good camera. It will also use expensive A/B batteries, along with SxS cards.
You might also look into the EX3, which is a smaller, cheaper version of the 320. They both have 1/2" chips and record to SxS cards in XDCAM 35mbps. They both have interchangeable lenses.

I could have bought any of the above cameras, but I found a really good deal on my HPX300, so I went for it. The codec really sold me, though. Personally, I prefer the versatility of a broadcast codec.

Hope this helped.
Hi Glen !

How is the build quality of the of the Panasonic Cameras ??

I had a chance to look at the Sony NEX-EA50UH and was NOT impressed with the build quality lot's of plastic and feels like a cheap build.

Thanks Scott
Scott Comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2013, 03:07 AM   #5
Trustee
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cornsay Durham UK
Posts: 1,941
Re: Panasonic AG-HPX370 ?? - Review

Build quality on panasonic is top notch and I have had my original HPX301 for nearly five years now without a single glitch or lost frame.

Pro cameras do not come with batteries as like me you may already have them and I got a V-cock adaptor for my HPX301 and 371.

The HPX301/371 are superb cameras and shoot in virtually every SD and HD format as well as NTSC and PAL.

There are some good deals on these at the moment and the difference between the 301/371 is marginal.
__________________
Over 15 minutes in Broadcast Film and TV production: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1044352/
Gary Nattrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #6
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: York, Maine
Posts: 31
Re: Panasonic AG-HPX370 ?? - Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass View Post
Build quality on panasonic is top notch and I have had my original HPX301 for nearly five years now without a single glitch or lost frame.

Pro cameras do not come with batteries as like me you may already have them and I got a V-cock adaptor for my HPX301 and 371.

The HPX301/371 are superb cameras and shoot in virtually every SD and HD format as well as NTSC and PAL.

There are some good deals on these at the moment and the difference between the 301/371 is marginal.
Do you use a external monitor with the HP301 ?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the HPX301/371 does not have HTMI outout port for a monitor ?

Thanks Scott
Scott Comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2013, 12:20 PM   #7
Trustee
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cornsay Durham UK
Posts: 1,941
Re: Panasonic AG-HPX370 ?? - Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Comeau View Post
Do you use a external monitor with the HP301 ?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the HPX301/371 does not have HTMI outout port for a monitor ?

Thanks Scott
The camera has HD SDI out so you could use a converter to feed an HDMI monitor or get an SDI monitor.

I personally just use composite SD video out for client monitor and find the quality acceptable for viewing.
__________________
Over 15 minutes in Broadcast Film and TV production: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1044352/
Gary Nattrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #8
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: York, Maine
Posts: 31
Re: Panasonic AG-HPX370 ?? - Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass View Post
Build quality on panasonic is top notch and I have had my original HPX301 for nearly five years now without a single glitch or lost frame.

Pro cameras do not come with batteries as like me you may already have them and I got a V-cock adaptor for my HPX301 and 371.

The HPX301/371 are superb cameras and shoot in virtually every SD and HD format as well as NTSC and PAL.

There are some good deals on these at the moment and the difference between the 301/371 is marginal.
I'm looking at the "Anton Bauer DIONIC 90 Lithium-Ion Battery with 14.4V/90 WH" to go with this HPX371.

What about the charger for the battery ?

Does it come with one or do I need to order one ?

Thanks Scott !
Scott Comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2013, 03:33 AM   #9
Trustee
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cornsay Durham UK
Posts: 1,941
Re: Panasonic AG-HPX370 ?? - Review

No it does not come with a charger, where are you buying your camera from as you should be talking to them to work about a package that suits your needs!

This is a pro level camera so you need to do your research on it before buying as many things are optional and not included as standard with it.
__________________
Over 15 minutes in Broadcast Film and TV production: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1044352/
Gary Nattrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #10
New Boot
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Taunton MA
Posts: 7
Re: Panasonic AG-HPX370 ?? - Review

I'm coming late to this thread, but I picked up used HPX370 and am quite happy with it. While many in the world are moving to the DSLR form factor, I prefer the ENG on-the-shoulder style of shooting for the work I do.

I decided to pass on the P2 cards, opting instead for a Atomos Ninja 2 field recorder. The Atomos guys still haven't been able to have their recorders activate with Panasonic cameras being switched into record mode, so some will see this a big drawback. I don't, although it can be an inconvenience. The uncompressed video is excellent and it flows very easily into Premiere Pro.

Just be aware that the HPX is a big camera and requires a sturdy tripod and head. I use the old Manfrotto 3046 tripod and the 504 head and all play nicely. The batteries are expensive; look around for rebuilt batteries or good used ones from reputable camera stores.

With this thing on your shoulder, when you show up at the scene of a fire, the chief will let you cross the lines thinking you're from the local media!
Danny McCarthy is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:41 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network