DVCPRO HD storage for masters - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old November 13th, 2005, 09:49 AM   #31
RED Problem Solver

Hopefully. But remember, I'm fussy. I do think that DVCproHD is too compressed, but from my experience, it's less visually compressed than HDV, but that's comparing Varicam to HDV. Hopefully the same or similar improvements will be seen with the HVX over the HDV. However, I still think that the SDX900 (from what I've seen), gives you the best image from a Panasonic camera, HD or not!

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 11:25 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Nattress
However, I still think that the SDX900 (from what I've seen), gives you the best image from a Panasonic camera, HD or not!
Graeme: out of curiosity, what do you think are the best DV cameras in the ~$4-6K price range?
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 01:31 PM   #33
RED Problem Solver

I have no idea. And I don't know what your priorities in a camera are. From the images I've seen the best affordable DV camera is the DVX100. If you want real widescreen, the XL2 or the Sony HDV in DV mode are your options.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Nattress
From the images I've seen the best affordable DV camera is the DVX100. If you want real widescreen, the XL2 or the Sony HDV in DV mode are your options.
Thanks, that's consistent with what I've concluded that the Sony FX1 is a good value in a true widescreen camera. As far as that's concerned, the HVX200 running in DVCPro50 mode could be an interesting compromise for producing widescreen SD output. By the way, I did some tests recently which convinced me that FX1 HDV footage downsampled after editing to widescreen SD looks better than FX1 footage shot in widescreen DV mode: http://www.videomem.com/HDV/encoding...comparison.htm

I'm still debating how I want to archive my HDV footage, but hopefully next year's HD DVD options will help with that.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 03:45 PM   #35
RED Problem Solver

The BBC primarily use the Z1 as a high quality widescreen SD DV camera.

Downsampling HDV to uncompressed SD should look better than HDV downsampled to DV (as long as you avoid MPEG2 provoking situations) or shot as DV.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders