24p slow motion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old November 15th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #1
Major Player

24p slow motion

When do you think a camera will be released that is able to record 24p footage that you can put into slow motion with out looking all glitched and skipping frames.

thanks
Greg Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 04:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Any camera that shoots 60p can be be slowed down to make a nice smooth 24p slo-mo... so the HVX when it comes out, or the JVC camera (if you record the analog output somehow) are both capable of this. Also, the FX/Z1 or the XLH1 could have their 1080i footage downrezzed to 720/60p with almost no resolution loss for the same effect...
Old November 15th, 2005, 07:37 PM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Harris
When do you think a camera will be released that is able to record 24p footage that you can put into slow motion with out looking all glitched and skipping frames.

thanks
The HVX has that specific capability built in. You can shoot in about a dozen different frame rates, and specifically you can set the timebase to conform to 24p. So if you shoot at 48fps, when you play it back it'll play back at 24fps, and give you 2:1 slow motion. Or you could choose 60fps, and when you play that back it'll be 2.5:1 slow motion. It's frame-accurate film-style slow motion, with no glitching or skipped frames or anything like that.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2005, 03:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

And how about the PAL-version? Is 50p suitable for a nice slomo effect?
Robin Hemerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2005, 04:58 PM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

Sure -- 50p played back in a 25p timeline will give you very nice, very smooth slow motion.
Old November 20th, 2005, 10:36 AM   #6
Regular Crew

is there any footage online where I can look at some Varicam slow motion. I'm trying to get an idea of how "just like film" this slow motion is. I know in theory it should be the same (progressive frames, etc.) but I haven't seen any footage yet. Anyone have any or know where there's a place online to see a number of the variable frame rates in action?
Brian Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2005, 02:45 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
The HVX has that specific capability built in. You can shoot in about a dozen different frame rates, and specifically you can set the timebase to conform to 24p. So if you shoot at 48fps, when you play it back it'll play back at 24fps, and give you 2:1 slow motion. Or you could choose 60fps, and when you play that back it'll be 2.5:1 slow motion. It's frame-accurate film-style slow motion, with no glitching or skipped frames or anything like that.

Can you downconvert to tape like that??
Old November 24th, 2005, 04:06 AM   #8
Barry Wan Kenobi

Yes, you can do an in-camera downconversion that preserves the frame rate, so you'd get 2.5x slow-motion if you downconverted a 60p file into a 24p DV tape.
Old November 25th, 2005, 01:19 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Oh man, this camera just keeps getting better and better, if they remove the tape deck and replace it with a firestore and through on a 16x lens with some kind of internal mini35 system, and shrunk it back down the the DVX's size, it'd be my perfect camera. But at the moment it's my perfect available camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders